Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels 7" tall upper deck?

*Leto*

Cavy Slave
I am getting fleece soon, and am thinking about putting in an upper deck for the kitchen/litter box area to increase floor space. I am just weighing my options right now, but would it be possible to zip-tie a 2x1 level halfway up the grids of my existing 2x3 cage? That would reduce the ceiling height to 7” on and underneath the deck. Is that too short?

aly8084

Cavy Slave
Adding a level doesn't add floor space but it is always nice to have.
Quick question how many pigs do you have? I think I see 3 in the photo which I would suggest you go to a 2X4 before adding another level. Also are they Female or Male?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can do half height lofts. I had one once and the pigs liked the space under as it was fairly dark and provided them a nice place to hide.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
I am getting fleece soon, and am thinking about putting in an upper deck for the kitchen/litter box area to increase floor space. I am just weighing my options right now, but would it be possible to zip-tie a 2x1 level halfway up the grids of my existing 2x3 cage? That would reduce the ceiling height to 7” on and underneath the deck. Is that too short?

I am about to attempt the exact same thing. I have a 2x4 with two pigs and when I had aspen I left the cage wide open. When I switched to fleece I made a 1x2 kitchen area but since it was walled up to keep the hay in it restricted the easy running room to 2x3.

I was just going to put it a whole grid up but I figured if I lowered it down a bit the ramp angle would not be as steep. 7" or about 5 grids in my setup would be just a slight bit higher than my guinea pigs pigloos so I know they would fit.

Also I am going to put the ramp in the middle instead of down one side. I try to keep the perimeter of the cage as unobstructed as possible to allow a maximum size running track.

My 1/2 level is going to be largely based on these two photographs. They are from the same user but I can't tell if they are the same cage slightly redone or two different cages.

2nd level asside if you have two or more pigs in the 2x3 even with the extra clutter that will be removed with the 2nd level you should consider constructing a larger footprint cage if its possible. Going to fleece means that you will not have to buy extra betting over and over again just because you have a larger cage.

*Leto*

Cavy Slave
Quick question how many pigs do you have? I think I see 3 in the photo

I have two pigs, it might look like three because Apollo is two colors. One is female, the other is male (neutered).

When I switched to fleece I made a 1x2 kitchen area but since it was walled up to keep the hay in it restricted the easy running room to 2x3.

Yes this is exactly my problem! I know a loft doesn't increase floor space per se, but if I put the kitchen on top then they will have more space to run on the bottom.

Those pictures are very helpful. That looks like exactly what I am trying to do.

And I didn't even think about them hiding under the kitchen area, they probably would actually like that. Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.