Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New member and new pigs

CandyBarMoMo

Cavy Slave
Hi... I have loved guinea pigs since I was 10 years old.. but haven't had one of my own in many years as I was to busy raising my 3 kids. I also went back to school and got a degree in exotic animal care and worked at our local zoo for a while, as well as owning and showing boston terriers. Technically my pigs are my grandpigs as they belong to my children...so I would like to introduce them.

Reese (as in the peanut buttercup) is a 4 year old red and lilac Aby, he was given to my daughter for her 8th birthday by a family friend when he was 5 weeks old. We call my daughter the rodent whisperer.. she read every book our library had on guinea pigs BEFORE Reese was given to her. She wanted one so badly that she did all kinds of research to prove to us that she was ready. Reese follows her around her room, and comes when she calls him. She also has a WHITE hamster that a neighbor was going to "turn loose" right before winter.. Gadget was viscious biting anything that came near him.. but in 2 weeks my daughter had him snuggling in her lap and eating out of her hand.. hence the rodent whisperer.
reese6.jpg

reese4.jpg

Gadget the hamster
gadget-1.jpg

When the family friend wanted to give her another one for Christmas we agreed... it was from the same breeder as Reese so we thought it would be ok. The day before Christmas the friend brought over the tiniest cutest curly coated (I think he was a Teddy) gray and white piggy... and my daughter named him Tribble. I noticed he was very skinny and pretty lethargic. Within 4 hours he had passed away.. I have no idea what happened to him, though I did find out a few days later that most of the breeder's guinea pig colony had also passed away..Needless to say my daughter was devastated.. she cried for 2 days.. and I agreed to let her have another one.

So that brings us to Rolo, he came into our home on Dec 30th.. he is a very calm and sweet little piggy. I believe he is an American tortoiseshell although he isn't red he is cream/buff so maybe he is a tricolor instead? I am guessing he is about 5-6 weeks old.

After my daughter got Rolo my youngest son (9) asked if he could have a guinea pig as well... my daughter agreed to help care for his guinea pig... so 2 days ago we brought home Twix..

Twix is a 6 week old American female. I am unsure what to call her color. She is mostly white with an orange patch on her rump, and then a small orange patch on her neck with a very dark chocolate brown face.. it looks black but isn't really black when you REALLY look at it.

Anyway just thought I would introduce you to my family's pigs...I look forward to reading more of your forum

CandyBarMoMo

Cavy Slave
Here are pictures of Rolo
rolo4.jpg

rolo8.jpg

CandyBarMoMo

Cavy Slave
And Twix

Twix.jpg

Twix2.jpg

One of Tribble RIP

tribble2.jpg

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

Are your guinea pigs separated? They can breed at 6 weeks.

Breeders and pet stores are terrible places to obtain pets. We support adopting from rescues and shelters here . There are many homeless guinea pigs out there.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. It is the best place there is to find out all you need to know about GP's. Your daughter sounds like she has the best heart, so full of love for her critters. Welcome to your lovely animal famiily and yourselves. Grreat pictures.

Please take the time to read all about Guinea Pig Cages. There is so much good info here. You will read too, most of us love aniamls, fight for adoption over buying a GP., are passionate over their care, and that we just plain out love guinea pigs!
Again Welcome.

CandyBarMoMo

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

Are your guinea pigs separated? They can breed at 6 weeks.

Breeders and pet stores are terrible places to obtain pets. We support adopting from rescues and shelters here . There are many homeless guinea pigs out there.

I didn't get the first 2 guinea pigs (Reese and Tribble), my friend gave them to her. I wouldn't have gotten them from a breeder. Rolo and Twix, the only 2 I got, came from an ad in the paper about piggies needing a new home, and though I am quite sure they originally came from the pet store,they had been an xmas present for a 2 year old, I did not purchase them from the pet store

As I said I have a college degree in animal care so I am well aware that males and females should be kept seperate or they will breed. Reese and Rolo are in my daughter's room, Twix is in my son's room.

They each have their own cage that is 40x24.. and though they are not C&C cages they are almost the same dimensions as a 2x3 grid cage which is 41x27. I did alot of research on cages and had planned on building C&C cages until I found these. Since I live in a small town and would have had to special order pretty much everything for 3 C&C cages I chose these instead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.