PDA

View Full Version : Fleece and other ramblings

DocDolittle
03-07-05, 08:59 pm
Alright, I would just like to know how a C&C cage is easier to clean.(No offense to anyone who says it). I just spent the past two and a half hours cleaning my boy's 2x7 C&C, and I still have homework. I use loose bedding and It's a complete pain in the butt. Which brings me to toher questions: How do y'all use fleece? I recently stopped using it after two weeks for two reasons: One, the hay stuck to the fleece and started ruining the washing machine. Two, the fleece started ripping in half because of the washings. How do you do it? I would love to switch back to fleece(smelled less, softer for the boys, less mess, easier to clean), but I can't repeatedly pay for three more yards of fleece to cover my cage, and the pigs keep peeing on the hay, so the hay gets matted down on the fleece and won't come off. Please, help me.

dagwellismypigy
03-07-05, 09:06 pm
Yeah, that is a main reason I switched fleece. I made a small hay loft that I line with newspaper, it is at the height people make the bent grid futons, so there is a tiny ramp running up to it and they can just hop up there. I line it with newspaper and use a hay rack, there is a little bit that gets stuck on the fleec but I just shake it off into the coro. YOu will need to splurge when you get it, you will need good fleece, not the t shirt kind. If you just used fleece on newspaper, maybe the fleece wasn't heavy enough. I use a pad-type thing of flleece cotton- batting-towels.

DocDolittle
03-07-05, 09:07 pm
I just used fleece batting on top of newspapers. What do you use? I've heard of people setting down newspaper, fleece, towel, fleece, but what I reallyneed help with is what's the strongest material to use and how to keep the boys from getting hay all over the place and peeing on it.

Ly&Pigs
03-07-05, 09:44 pm
T-shirt fleece does suck. I have washed my fleece many times and it has never ripped or torn. If you buy a good medium or heavy grade fleece that is what I have found works best. I bought a fleece blanket and 4 fleece blanket kits. You may be able to find the kits at your Wal-Mart if they have any left. My Wal-Mart recently put them on clearance for $6 a kit. They are a nice weight and you get two panels that measure 48"x60". You really don't need to use anything under the fleece except newspapers. Right now I am trying old sheets between the newspaper and fleece and they are working pretty well. If you just put newspaper under you have to change out any wet newspaper every day.

I built my girls a coroplast hay box that sits in the loft. There is a picture of it in my gallery. They hop over into the box (I cut one section of coroplast lower to make it easy for them to hop in and out) and eat, sleep, play in the hay, they sometimes will drag it out into the loft and onto the fleece, but I just pick the bits up every evening and throw them back in the box when I do spot cleaning. Hay rarely ever reaches the main level. I also have small sections of fleece in the loft that I can pick up and take outside and shake off any remaining hay. I have found using the hay box so much easier than spending an hour or more picking off bits of hay from the fleece. I change the hay box out every other day.

DocDolittle
03-07-05, 10:18 pm
I have a large, deep rabbit litter box that I could put in one of the lofts. Would this work like your hay box?

suzy_99
03-08-05, 08:06 am
I also don't have my hay rack directly over my fleece. I have it on a plastic level (from my old pet store cage) all by itself, so it is really easy to clean.
As for the fleece, the really cheap and thin material will fall apart very easily. If you go to Walmart or any other store with fabric, you will easily be able to compare the thicknesses in the fleece and you will see that there is quite a difference. I use to use a fleece throw blanket, followed by newspaper, then a tablecloth, but I just got finished making a blanket for them. The first layer is a thick fleece, followed by one layer of cotton batting, and lastly, I just put a sheet on the back to hold everything in. Instead of newspaper I now use puppy training pads, because there are only a few spots that they actually wet. I absolutely love this new blanket and I plan on making many more. Its a pain to sew but it make cleaning much easier.

cinn&sprinslave
03-08-05, 09:57 am
I bought a fleece blanket and 4 fleece blanket kits. You may be able to find the kits at your Wal-Mart if they have any left. My Wal-Mart recently put them on clearance for $6 a kit. They are a nice weight and you get two panels that measure 48"x60".
Sheesh your fleece is cheap, around here blankets are $10 - $12 and usually they have big prints on them (panels), with big kitties or trees usually. I always have to go to Joanns which is $7-$15 a yard ($7 for plain fleece and it goes up, printed fleece is usually starts at $13 and goes on up.) around here. Once in a while it goes on sale but not usually.
The only time I ever found plain fleece blankets really cheap was at Bi Mart during the after Thanks Giving sale. And they only had two colors in plain fleece, blue and pink. I think they were on sale for $6 a blanket.

suzy_99
03-08-05, 10:53 am
That seems really expensive for fleece. Here in Canada, fleece throw blankets are usually $10 each, but the other day I went to Walmart and I bought a beautiful fleece fabric, which only cost $11 for a sheet that is 64" by 32" (its thicker than the blankets) and we got enough cotton batting to make 2 complete blankets for $3.

SushiNut
03-08-05, 01:39 pm
I shake out the fleece before tossing it into the wash.
I have a litter tray underneath my hay rack made out of coroplast that is 1" high. I fill it with feline pine/wood pellets and some aspen shavings.
As for washing, I run the washer on the delicate cycle. I got the fleece from Walmart.

Eventrocker33
03-08-05, 01:43 pm
At a walmart i found fleece blankets for only $3! The fleece works great. You could also put a litter box in your cage if you dont already have one. You could also shake the fleece off outside before you wash it.

Ly&Pigs
03-08-05, 08:04 pm
You can certainly try the rabbit litter box in there, just make sure there is one area they can hop in and out from easily. I think my low section is about 3" tall. You never know if something will work unless you try it and I am always trying new things out to see how they will work for the girls cage. Making them the hay box was one of the best things I have done.

The fleece blanket kits were originally $10.74 each, I paid full price for one kit, got the second kit on clearance for $8 then got the two I had on layaway for a clearance price of $6 each. The one fleece blanket I had bought was $5. I love those blanket kits though because there are 2 panels in each of the kits, one solid and one print. I wish I would have known they were going down to $6 because I would have put a couple more on layaway just to have the extras. I hunted around the store but they were sold out.

pookczek
03-09-05, 10:12 am
I changed to fleece about 3 weeks ago in Sally's cage - she loves it. She couldn't get a solid footing in her old cage (plastic floor with shavings) so, when she tried to run, it was like she was burning rubber. She can really run in her new cage. I sewed velcro on some of the corners because Sally liked to lift it up and chew on the newspaper (instead of chewing on her wooden toys - silly piggy)

I do have one problem with the fleece, though - Sally likes to chew holes through it. Anyone else have problems with this?

Sally might just be bored - Just started the quarantine period for her new friend - I'm hoping the problem will go away after she meets (and hopefully loves) her new friend.

Piglet
03-09-05, 02:04 pm
I use towels which are similar to fleece. Im not allowed to use the washing machine, so I shake the towel in my garden then hand wash it. I could never go back to loose bedding

Ly&Pigs
03-09-05, 04:29 pm
I haven't heard of too many pigs chewing fleece. Maybe give her a paper sack or a toilet paper roll (with a slit cut down one entire side) as a distraction to chewing the fleece.

t_rose
03-10-05, 08:24 am
Forgive my ignorance, but what is cotton batting?

Ly&Pigs
03-10-05, 01:18 pm
It's a batting that if often used in quilts. It can be found in the craft/fabric section of stores. There is also polyester batting which is similar to cotton batting.

tinkerbell
03-13-05, 09:40 am
I use towels right now and would like to switch to fleece, but I have a couple questions:

1. when I go to walmart do I just ask for the heavest fleece they have or should I look around for some sort of "Kit"?

2. what do you do with the velcrove? how does it stop them from lifting up on the fleece, do you put some on the coroplast and then on the fleece or what?

3. with the cottom badding, do you just use it like you would when making a blanket? fleece, cooton, fleece?

sorry that this is so long :) thanks ---Tink