Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy What are the signs of pregnancy?

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hi
The two 4 month old guinea pigs I adopted ( Tilly and Alice ) I think is pregnant. They were still in the cage with their brothers at 4 weeks. I have them both two months. Both of their stomachs have got wider near the back and it doesn't look like they are just fat because only the sides nea the back is getting wider.
They sort of look like this: (broken link removed) ( not them,just the size of their bellies. Maybe just the tiniest bit smaller )
I am sick with worry.:sad: And the two of them! ( If they are )
I was trying to see if I could feel anything moving in their stomachs lat night but they wouldn't stay still. What are the other signs of pregnany other than gaining weight?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
If they were with their brothers they most certainly are pregnant. You need to find a cavy savy vet asap as complications with labour are very very common (fortunitely less so in younger cavies at least).

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
If they were with their brothers they most certainly are pregnant. You need to find a cavy savy vet asap as complications with labour are very very common (fortunitely less so in younger cavies at least).
Is four weeks not ok? :eye-poppi:eek: So, is it more than likey that they are pregnant? I will try to find one straight away but I looked before but only found normal vets. :sad: Any important signs that I need to know about? I'm am *really* worried now! I never had a pregnant pig before.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I found a cavy savy vet in Dublin!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
They can get pregnant after 28 days and their brothers would have been fertile since 21 days which means that could have easily been impregnanted.

How long have they been apart from their brothers?

If they've been apart from their brothers for 3 months they should have already given birth by now (gestation if I remember right is 50 - 70 days) in which you'd be safe. If it's been less than that then they need to be checked out.

The picture you showed though isn't that huge. If they were near term they'd be much huger then that.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
They can get pregnant after 28 days and their brothers would have been fertile since 21 days which means that could have easily been impregnanted.

How long have they been apart from their brothers?

If they've been apart from their brothers for 3 months they should have already given birth by now (gestation if I remember right is 50 - 70 days) in which you'd be safe. If it's been less than that then they need to be checked out.

The picture you showed though isn't that huge. If they were near term they'd be much huger then that.
I have them for two months now. Alice and Tilly are really tiny so if they were pregnant would they get really big even though they are tiny? Thanks.

Last edited:

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Ok,is this normal weight gain for two 4 month old guinea pigs, in three days? I don't think it is....
10/1/10= Tilly= 300 grams
Alice= 420 grams

13/1/10( today )= Tilly: 500 grams
Alice: 520 grams

That isn't normal is it? Alice has a bigger belly than Tillys. Please help!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Ok,is this normal weight gain for two 4 month old guinea pigs, in three days? I don't think it is....
10/1/10= Tilly= 300 grams
Alice= 420 grams

13/1/10( today )= Tilly: 500 grams
Alice: 520 grams

That isn't normal is it? Alice has a bigger belly than Tillys. Please help!

Weight can vary depending on how much is in their stomachs (for example my boys if I forget and weigh them after they eat instead of before can vary by an oz or 2.

Your pigs are very small though and that is a pretty signifigent weight variance (like 20-50% of body weight in 3 days). Try weighing before you give them their meal and double check your scale. Regardless given their small size you might want to visit a vet and get them checked for parasites or anything like that.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Also , do I need to feed them anything other than what they get already? I am already feeding them alfa based pellets.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Weight can vary depending on how much is in their stomachs (for example my boys if I forget and weigh them after they eat instead of before can vary by an oz or 2.

Your pigs are very small though and that is a pretty signifigent weight variance (like 20-50% of body weight in 3 days). Try weighing before you give them their meal and double check your scale. Regardless given their small size you might want to visit a vet and get them checked for parasites or anything like that.
Ok thanks, I will weigh them tomorrow before I feed them and post the weight here. Will parasites affect the birth? Because I am trying to get rid of fleas the last week.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
If they were with their brothers they most certainly are pregnant.

Eh, not necessarily- my vet said it's a bit of a stretch for a 21 day old male to impregnate mom or sisters. 4 weeks is a little more easy, but if the girls -just- entered their potential pregnant zone I'd still say the chances could be slimmer.

I'd for sure take the girls to a vet to get a professional's ruling on it.

Also, weight gain doesn't automatically equal pregnancy. I thought my Kimi was pregnant when I first got her but really she was just gaining weight- a lot of it. She's a fatso now. Love her to bits.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Thanks. But Tilly and Alice never gained this much weight before. It could be because I feed them only about an hour ago.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave

Actually if they were separated at four weeks, I doubt they are pregnant. They could be, but they are not "most certainly" pregnant.

And labour is actually pretty dangerous for an extremely young pig as well.

You can't tell if they're pregnant by the weight gain, and you don't have to do anything special diet-wise. Just keep an eye on them. If you really want to know, see a vet and get an x ray or ultrasound.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Our vet told us quite the opposite. That the 21 days for males was a very very hard limit because the mom (and sisters as soon as they hit 28) would be impregnanted. Period. Though he works with the rescue, he's pretty anti breeding. Maybe he just wants to be sure there's absolutely no slip ups.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye on them and keep you posted :)

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
If they were pregnant for two months would they be bigger than in the picture I showed?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
While boars have a potential to impregnate a sow at 21 days and over, most sows don't come into first heat until around 4 weeks or later. I would also think the chances for them being pregnant are pretty low.

Young pigs gain weight and a good diet also will help put on weight. If they were pregnant when you got them they would have delivered by now. Pregnancy is 59-73 days and you've had them for what 3 months now if they are 4 months old?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
She has had them only two months. But if they were two months pregnant, I think it would be more obvious.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yeah at two months, pregnancy would normally be very noticeable. I missed where she said she's had them only two months so thanks Akstrohm.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
The minute I got home from school I weighed them. This was before they got their main feed/veggies. The put on more weight in one day!
Tilly: 570 grams was 500 yesterday.
Alice: 580 grams was 520 yesterday.
Is this normal? Their bellies seem a bit bigger. They are eating and drinking much more. Thanks everyone :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.