Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Advice needed, please, re: cage size

zookeeper

Cavy Slave
We have not bought anything yet, and I am just in the researching mode right now. Whereas I continually find that having at least two pigs is recommended because of the pig's need for companionship, I have not found a recommended size for a cage for two pigs. Just find statements such as: "proportionally bigger than the cage for one pig". Can someone clarify this for me, please? I read someone's posting about buidling a cage six feet by four feet; something of this size would pretty much eliminate our being able to own guinea pigs. But, I do want to make sure we can supply them with what they need; if not, then we would not pursue this any further. Thank you.

The reccomended cage size for two pigs is a 2x4 C&C cage, or a cage that is 28" x 56", which works out to 2.3 feet by 4.7 feet, the equivalent to 10.5 square feet. If you have two males, you really want to stick with this cage size as boars tend to need their own space and can have more issues with dominence (sp?). If you are planning on housing two girls and space is REALLY an issue, you can house them in a 2x3 C&C (2.3 feet by 3.5 feet), but most of the time some creative re-arranging of furniture can clear up that extra 14" for you quite easily! Try and give them as much space as possible, but if you must go with the 2x3 for two sows, then you have to give them more floor time to compinsate for the smaller cage size.

I hope this answers your question! Good luck!

TheAlmightyMiko said:
The reccomended cage size for two pigs is a 2x4 C&C cage, or a cage that is 28" x 56", which works out to 2.3 feet by 4.7 feet, the equivalent to 10.5 square feet. If you have two males, you really want to stick with this cage size as boars tend to need their own space and can have more issues with dominence (sp?). If you are planning on housing two girls and space is REALLY an issue, you can house them in a 2x3 C&C (2.3 feet by 3.5 feet), but most of the time some creative re-arranging of furniture can clear up that extra 14" for you quite easily! Try and give them as much space as possible, but if you must go with the 2x3 for two sows, then you have to give them more floor time to compinsate for the smaller cage size.

I hope this answers your question! Good luck!

Thank you for the specifics; this helps a lot as opposed to "click around the web site" which I did prior to registering and posting.

Any recommendations as to how to find a reputable breeder in my area for purchase of pigs? I found some California listings but none are near my home in Central California. Is a pet store (PetsMart specifically) the wrong choice?

Don't go to breeders, there are plenty of homeless guinea pigs needing love. GO to www.petfinder.com I'm sorry my previous post wasn't specific enough, but the reccomended sizes are right on the home page.

I am sure the advice about shelters is heartfelt, but I have read that inexperienced guinea pig owners should probably not adopt from a shelter. The reason given was that such pigs have most likely been victims of former owners neglect and/or abuse and need help with rehabilitation such as what they have been receiving in the shelter. An inexperienced owner (me) would not have the knowledge to do what is needed. Opinions on this may vary, but what I read makes sense to me. So, the choices as I see them are to find a breeder or use a pet store.

If all inexperienced owners felt the way you do there wouldnt be hardly any adoptions. A guinea pig from a store, breeder or shelter needs the same care. Good food, veggies, hay, nice size cage, and of course love, patience and social interaction. You dont have to be experienced in order to give your piggie good care. You can learn by acquiring the knowledge which we all are doing by asking questions and getting feedback.

There will always be a few special need piggies, but most of them are just waiting to be adopted out by the inexperienced owner who is willing to commit to their pet.

If you are absolutely set on buying a guinea pig instead of adopting I would avoid the petsmart type places. It would be better to look around for a local mom and pop store that actually takes care of their animals properly and give them your money. You didn't say where you were from, but I just looked up petfinder in the california area and the first one I clicked said this "Clark is so adorable! He melts our hearts. He has so much energy! He loves running top speed and playing with ronald. He is living with Ronald and getting along famously. Clark was born on november 27th so he's still just a baby! Clark has recently discovered the joys of floor time and he is hooked! He even complains when you pick him up to go back. Clark is absolutely beautiful..." That pig is from the Cavyspirit rescue. I am sure there are plenty of pigs that were born at the shelter, and so never had a chance to be abused. I'd atleast look into it. (This is what you get when you go on a rescue friendly messageboard! :p )

I agree with the previous post. I bought one of my guinea pigs at a big chain pet store and she ended up being pregnant. This is something that commonly happens to "inexperiences owners". I also have a guinea that I took I took in from a friend, who didn't know that she was treating him badly and although, she has been a little tempermental, she is a great guinea pig.
Please, do not go to a breeder. If you absolutely want to go the pet store route, please stick to a locally owned non-chain pet store. We have one in our town that I would actually buy from.
Also, remember that many shelter piggies are pregnant or have babies with them. You could get one of the babies, so that way you would not have to look after a piggy who went through a lifetime of neglect and no longer trust humans. You could start fresh with a little baby and you would still be helping the shelter, because that guinea would get big someday.

I am sure the advice about shelters is heartfelt, but I have read that inexperienced guinea pig owners should probably not adopt from a shelter. The reason given was that such pigs have most likely been victims of former owners neglect and/or abuse and need help with rehabilitation such as what they have been receiving in the shelter. An inexperienced owner (me) would not have the knowledge to do what is needed. Opinions on this may vary, but what I read makes sense to me. So, the choices as I see them are to find a breeder or use a pet store.
There are many wonderful piggies in California who need homes, why don't you go to some rescues and shelters and meet some pigs. I got all my animals from rescues and I'm glad for many reasons.
  • the piggies got a clean bill of health
  • the rescue is knowledgeable about care
  • I helped save a pig from an untimely death
  • When getting a friend for my existing piggy I was able to try out introductions.
  • the rescue is available for follow up and questions
  • I got way more choice than a petstore
You will never regret your decision to rescue. I think you will end up with a better experience if you decide to rescue especially as a first time owner.

All the pigs I have adopted, were probably abused, I don't know how I can tell, but you can see it in their eyes. On that note, that only makes them appreciate you love even more. I have had petstore pigs that were sweet, but never as nice as my adopted boys. It is also a good idea to get from a shelter you first time, because there are many bonded pairs already together, and that way you don't have to worry about introductions.

I ditto dagwell. I was a first time owner back in Septemeber, but my first choice was a shelter. Some of the pigs sitting there have been through a lot, so don't you want to help them? Please re consider your choice

Zookeeper, then I *definitely* wouldn't go to a pet store. They're treated much worse than pigs at shelters, and are most certainly put through stress just like you say rescue pigs are. The people at pet stores have no idea what they're talking about (for the most part at least), and the people at rescues will help you learn before you get a piggie. Please read www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm. Thanks!

I find no rescue groups for guinea pigs in Central California. But, thanks for all the opinions and advice. Do wonder why breeders are so poorly considered--indiscriminate sales practices? But, I find no current breeders in our area either. Will simply give up the idea as impractical all things considered. The very best to all of you who do own and love the little guys.

I find that hard to believe. I always thought there was such a over population of guinea pigs in California. What area are you in?

Breeders are poorly considered because they are the reason for the over population.

Try this site too (broken link removed) I am sure there are guinea pigs in your area, you may have to look for a while

Central California is the probably the biggest breeding ground of backyard breeders you'll find anywhere.

Want to adopt? You only have to look. What area are you in? Fresno? Bakersfield? Sacto?

There are plenty of homeless pigs. Post your area and I'll put you in touch with a rescue.

Not all pigs in shelters/rescues have been abused. Many times they end up in shelters/rescues because owners surrender them for stupid reasons like "we're getting a dog" or "we're moving to another state" or my all time favorite, "we just don't have time for them". Most of the time the ones in bad shape that are in shelters/rescues come from situations like the Hollister rescue or because of breeders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.