Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Wooden hidey too large?

Willie

Cavy Slave
Hi

I will be getting about 60 grids in 2/3 weeks and have been trying to get some
ideas on how to do the interior for the cage.
I figured a wood theme would be nice and started looking for wooden hidey's, which
are easy to find here in The Netherlands.
When I was searching the web i came across this huge wooden hidey:
(broken link removed)

The dimensions are:156 x 79 x 56 cm

I would, ofcourse, make sure that they are left with enough room to run around in.

The idea seems nice and all, but i'm just not sure if it would be in my piggies
best interest because it does take up a lot of space.

What do you think? Do you think this would be overkill?
They would still have 2x4 or 3x4 gridsize to run around in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just my opinion, of course, but not only do I think it would take up too much room, it would be very hard to get all the poop out of it, and they'd pee all over it.

To me, the hideys work better if they either have no bottom and sit directly on whatever kind of bedding you're using or on a removable pad, or if they've got a pad lying in the bottom of them.

Willie

Cavy Slave
I did think about that, but it seems you can take it apart so I can remove their poo.
The pee however is a different story, but I read that you can soak it in water mixed with
something else. I forgot what it is called, but it said that it would kill germs and remove the
bad oder.

But those are some good points.
It would be easier getting those plastic pigloo's i've been seeing here on the forums and
a lot cheaper too. The wooden hidey would set me back 200 euro's.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, I don't even use pigloos. I have friends with GPs, and one of theirs traps the other one inside the pigloo ALL the time. So I decided against that. I've got two plastic step-stools that I got at the dollar store for $1 each, a timothy hay tunnel with a fleece/towel pad in the bottom, and a fiddlesticks with a fleece pad on top. I also rotate in and out some cardboard tubes, PVC pipe elbow, some drainage pipe, and a shoebox.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If I tried that with guinea pigs, they would always hide out on the bottom level.

My rabbits would love it, though!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
In my opinion the best hideys are those that have multiple entrances (so no pig gets trapped) and that take up as little space as possible. Towel tents are good--just clip a small towel to the corner of the cage. They're cheap, easy, washable, take up very little space, and make the pigs feel secure. I also like three sided hideys (two walls opposite of each other and a top). The pigs can run through them easily. You can use little plastic footstools too.

Ama4884

Cavy Slave
For our hideys we use these:

Link removed by moderator- that site is not allowed to be linked here.

Lucy tends to move the pigloos and leaves no room for them to run. With these they can run all they want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

lissie

Cavy Slave
OMG. Those are so expensive! For $15.95, I can buy 3 yards of fleece and make more than 10 of those tents!

Willie

Cavy Slave
In my opinion the best hideys are those that have multiple entrances (so no pig gets trapped)

That's a good point, my piggies tend to block the entrance to their hidey which
leads to them climbing over the other.

Ama4884

Cavy Slave
I use towels to make mine.

I didn't know that site wasn't allowed since people talk about bedspreads on here all the time. My bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.