PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

annie_ashlee
03-06-05, 05:31 pm
Hi, I'm new, my name is Annie, and I'm looking for a couple Guinea Pigs in Oregon. My little sisters' birthdays are this week and my parents and I are looking to buy them some. I hope you can help, thanks a lot!
~Annie

mncavylover
03-06-05, 05:35 pm
Hey and welcome to the forums! Please do adopt two piggies from a rescue. :) You can look at www.cavyrescue.com (http://www.cavyrescue.com) or www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com). Good luck!

lindsey's boys
03-06-05, 05:37 pm
Good luck finding the pigs!

annie_ashlee
03-06-05, 05:43 pm
Thanks a lot, we're all really looking forward to getting them. Um, we're really new at this, and I hear that guinea pigs make great pets, are they suitable for a 7 and 10 year olds?

lindsey's boys
03-06-05, 05:45 pm
Thanks a lot, we're all really looking forward to getting them. Um, we're really new at this, and I hear that guinea pigs make great pets, are they suitable for a 7 and 10 year olds?
Yes they do make great pets. I got my first pig when I was 10. If you have any other questions, I would love to answer them!!

pennick
03-06-05, 05:49 pm
They are wonderful animals to watch. They make wonderful pets. Just remember that you would have to be the main caretaker in making sure that the guinea pigs are getting everything they need on a day to day basis.

annie_ashlee
03-06-05, 05:51 pm
Thanks a lot, my sisters are thrilled, this is going to be very exciting. What size of a cage do you think we should shoot for? It will house both pigs.. We're looking to spend around $80 on it.

lindsey's boys
03-06-05, 06:02 pm
C&c cages are pretty cheap. I got mine for about $20 dollars. I paid 20 for the grids (8 cube set), and the aluminum was free! Here is my cage:http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1502&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Ly&Pigs
03-06-05, 08:14 pm
are they suitable for a 7 and 10 year olds?

Are your parents ready to put in the time, money, effort and work of taking care of the piggies when you two get bored of them? Taking care of guinea pigs require quite a bit of work and money. They aren't disposable pets. What will happen if one of the pigs get sick? Have you talked it over with your parents to take the pig to the vet if it gets sick? Personally, I don't believe that 7 and 10 year olds possess the responsibility it requires to take care of piggies. Your parents will have to make the committment to take care of these pigs in case you and your sister don't.

AngelsCavies
03-06-05, 11:17 pm
Annie, pm Cinn&sprinslave. She does adoption rescues in Oregon. She might be able to help you out as well.

cinn&sprinslave
03-07-05, 12:45 am
Annie, pm Cinn&sprinslave. She does adoption rescues in Oregon. She might be able to help you out as well.AngelsCavies, I have stopped rescuing don't have the time, money, and I have family issues going on. I currently don't have any rescue piggs for adoption. I have a couple of pairs that I may need to find new homes for, but I already have some people interested, if I decide I need to find homes.
But Annie_Ashlee if you PM with what area of Oregon you live in, one of my friend's friends has two female long haired guinea pigs for adoption. I don't know much about them, but they are $15, and the lady will deliver if you live with in a reasonable distance. They come with three pounds of food (unless it is cavycuisine, I would throw it away) their toys and veggies. They were her son's guinea pigs, I have no idea why she doesn't want them.
Try the Oregon Humane Society, http://www.oregonhumane.org/index.asp they usually have guinea pigs, if they don't right now be patient, they get them in frequently.
Willamette Valley Humane Society also usually has guinea pigs, don't know the link.

AngelsCavies
03-07-05, 12:47 am
Im sorry to hear that Cinn. Hope you can get things work out with your family too and I hope you can do the rescues again when you can.

cinn&sprinslave
03-07-05, 12:51 am
The Oregon Humaine Society has quite a few currently (I hadn't checked on there for a while until just now):

http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=28202
http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=28201
http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=28203
http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=27348
http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=28134
http://www.oregonhumane.org/small/detail.asp?AnimalID=28245

cinn&sprinslave
03-07-05, 12:53 am
Im sorry to hear that Cinn. Hope you can get things work out with your family too and I hope you can do the rescues again when you can.Yeah I hope I will be able to rescue again too. We are still going to take in the occasional cat though. I also hope we can work out the family issues.

Oh also, Annie_Ashlee make sure to call before you go to see the guinea pigs if you plan on adopting from the Oregon Humaine Society. I drove all the way out their once in hopes of adopting some more piggies, but they were already on hold with 5 other people. They don't post online when their animals for adoption are on hold, so you always want to call first.

cinn&sprinslave
03-07-05, 01:06 am
Thanks a lot, we're all really looking forward to getting them. Um, we're really new at this, and I hear that guinea pigs make great pets, are they suitable for a 7 and 10 year olds?Wow I didn't read this thread very thorough until now. I would say no they are absolutely not a suitable pet for 7-10 year olds. The parents need to be majorly involved. The parents need to realize that they will be the main care takers. I would never suggest it, I don't believe that children should have pets that are their responsibility at those ages. I would never adopt out to some one with intentions of the guinea pigs being pets for children (even if I don't rescue any more, that's still my opinion). I made that mistake once, and the guinea pigs ended up dying. I am not saying that would happen with your family, but I just don't believe in young children having pets that are their responsibility. I think the parents are the ones that actually need to want the pets not the kids. I also think getting a pet for a child's birthday is a bad idea, for many reasons. Just my opinions anyways.
I don't want to turn this thread into an arguement, I really don't, I didn't post with intentions of starting an arguement. I just wanted to state my opinions and what I thought.

Slap Maxwell
03-07-05, 09:50 am
No, not suitable for 7-10 year olds.

pennick
03-07-05, 10:22 am
I think the parents are the ones that actually need to want the pets not the kids.
I agree whole heartedly. As i stated previously, the parents will end up being the care givers so you better be sure that you want them as much as your children. They may love them today and be bored with them tomorrow.

dagwellismypigy
03-07-05, 02:02 pm
They deffinatly shouldn't be a birthday present. It shouldn't be sprung on her she would need to have all the rules and responsiblity explained to her before you got one. She would need to know it would mean extra chores that might take away from other things she wants to do. Also, if she is OK with that, she should help pick out the colors and types of the pair of guinea pigs.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-07-05, 02:39 pm
You can do like a rescuer I know does during Holidays. You get cage, supplies, etc for under the Christmas tree and a photo of the adopted piggies that you will pick up after the holidays. These types of days are hectic enough without bringing animals into it. It stresses them sometimes too.

annie_ashlee
03-07-05, 08:52 pm
Thank you soo, soo much everybody, this is excactly the information we were looking for. My sisters know that they would be getting them, and they are actually surprisingly responsible for their ages, but I'll have my dad read this over and re-think it. I'm a Pygmy goat lover and am getting a few kids this month, maybe my sisters will that decide they just want to take care of the goats with me instead, I would be the deffinate care taker there, so it wouldn't be a huge responsibility on them.. Again, thanks a ton!
~Annie

cinn&sprinslave
03-08-05, 09:51 am
Good luck. Let us know what your family decides!

But Annie_Ashlee if you PM with what area of Oregon you live in, one of my friend's friends has two female long haired guinea pigs for adoption. I don't know much about them, but they are $15, and the lady will deliver if you live with in a reasonable distance. They come with three pounds of food (unless it is cavycuisine, I would throw it away) their toys and veggies. They were her son's guinea pigs, I have no idea why she doesn't want them.They are located in Troutdale, OR about an 1 hour and 45 minutes from you. (According to the location in your Profile).

nwcavymom
03-12-05, 04:56 am
Hi, Annie. I am late in finding this thread, but wanted to let you know I have 2 male guinea pigs that will be ready to adopt this coming week. They were born Feb. 8 to a very young mom that was pregnant when I got her. They are very healthy and growing fast. They moved to their own cage on Feb. 27 and so far they are getting along great. The boys are short-haired and very cute. One is mostly cinnamon-brown (I think this color is called red by breeders) with a few white markings, the other is mostly white with cinn-brown spots on each side of its face. These guys have been handled alot, so are friendly and tame--though still a bit shy and wriggly as babies tend to be. I definitely want them to go to a good home. I think guinea pigs are great for kids as long as the parents are willing to assist with care and keep an eye on them. They are a big commitment as they need a lot of attention and can live for several years.
I live between Portland and Oregon City. If you are still considering getting some pigs and think you might be interested, you can email me at [email protected]
I will also be happy to provide you with lots of info on care, feeding, etc.

annie_ashlee
03-13-05, 08:10 pm
We have found two baby guinea pigs, we will be picking them up this week. We are very excited. I'll keep in touch. Thank you for everything everyone! Have a great week!

rabbitsncavyluv
03-13-05, 10:18 pm
Cool. How'd you find them?

annie_ashlee
03-13-05, 10:57 pm
My mom actually found them in the classified ads this morning, we were kinda scared about their temperment and stuff, but the lady turns out to be a breeder. So we got lucky! See ya later.

Ly&Pigs
03-13-05, 11:02 pm
Buying from a breeder is as bad as buying from a pet store and it contributes to the guinea pig mills.

dagwellismypigy
03-14-05, 12:14 am
I can't believe that after ALL the links given to you, you manage to go to a breeder. May I be the first to say.

annie_ashlee
03-14-05, 12:22 pm
I don't understand..

Slap Maxwell
03-14-05, 12:43 pm
I don't understand..
Don't understand what?

pennick
03-14-05, 01:20 pm
I went back and read the previous postings on this thread and I can understand where Annie didnt make the connection about breeders. Nothing was said about getting piggies from breeders on this thread and if you are not knowledgable about this forum you could have taken NWCAVYMOM's posting as a breeder. It seems most of the time new members come on and simply delve right into their question without taking time out and reviewing this site. How many times do we get repetative questions one right after another. That is why Annie doesnt understand why we are confused with her decision to get her piggy from a breeder. When a new member joins they should take some time out and review what this site is all about, unfortunately this doesnt always happen.

dagwellismypigy
03-14-05, 01:32 pm
Well now you now annie, breeders are evil and the cause of everything bad. Ok, that an exagggeration, but not a huge one. There are many guinea pigs that are homeless. Breeders just promote the overpopulation.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-14-05, 01:41 pm
We gave you links and info for rescues and homeless guinea pigs in shelters. You should have ran the other way when you found out she was a breeder. It is not a good thing. Guinea pigs are dying in shelters and being abandoned left and right. You could have saved some.

Emily F.
03-14-05, 01:51 pm
Yes, well, maybe she didn't want to go to the links you all gave her. It's their decision what they want to do, and it's good that your trying to help out.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-14-05, 02:30 pm
Maybe she should at least look at http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm#ResponsibleBreeder and www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) where it will tell you on the main page that it's adopt a rescued guinea pig month and there are thousands of guinea pigs on petfinder that need homes, many of which will get a belly full of poison if they are not adopted.

mncavylover
03-16-05, 08:17 pm
Also, try www.cavyspirit.com (http://www.cavyspirit.com) for some info. :)

nwcavymom
03-17-05, 09:34 pm
"...if you are not knowledgable about this forum you could have taken NWCAVYMOM's posting as a breeder."
Just wanted to assure you that I am not a breeder, but I did make the mistake of buying from a pet store. It was after I realized that my new pig was pregnant that I got on the internet for info and found the cavyspirit site. I now realize how irresponsible the store was to keep the sexes together and letting her get pregnant so young (she was very tiny when I got her--maybe a month old). Luckily, she made it through the delivery with no problems.

annie_ashlee
03-20-05, 12:32 pm
I want to apologize to those of you that we upset. Let me tell you something.. We were buying these piggies for my little sisters, ages 7 and 10, we didn't want to buy a pig that had had trauma it it's life in any way. We wanted nice, sweet, cuddly, well handled pigs that are used to people, and kids especially. We got them from a breeder, now I understand that is wrong, but we trusted her, she knew what she was doing, and our pigs are very healthy, their names are Squeaky and Meepit.. And we love them very much. Thank you.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-20-05, 04:22 pm
Rescued guinea pigs are healthy and many times are not abused, or traumatized. They are resilient animals that are thankful for a second chance. Their foster homes take good care of them and they are many times socialized and used to people. It isn't their fault their owners left them behind because they were moving or wanting to get a puppy instead. Many times you can adopt babies too or young pigs because someone accidentally ended up with breeding pairs.

They can be just as loving and sometimes healthier than "brand new" guinea pigs.

All my animals are rescues and loving. It isn't like they attack you every chance they get because they hate people.

sasha
03-20-05, 04:31 pm
1. Rescue pigs see a vet before going to their new home, and breeder pigs don't

2. how do you know she knew what she was doing? A lot of breeders seem that way, but really their care is just enough to keep the pigs healthy looking enough to sell, not truly healthy, and if you didn't bother to read the care guides here, you wouldn't have known what to look for. For the sake of your pigs, I would go back and read it now, because most breeder pigs have mites or URI's, and often you can't tell until they have hairloss and crusty eyes and noses.

3. Even if you now know better, why are you still spreading the false info that rescue pigs are antisocial and wild? Rescues are the best place to get a friendly, healthy pig. Rescues won't adopt out a pig that has health problems until they are fixed, and won't adopt out an antisocial pig until they've had it for a while and can tame it themselves. Many abused animals seem very grateful when they are finally given proper care. Also, even if an animal has long term problems, a rescue will either keep them forever or find an experienced home that is aware of the cost and time of its special needs and knowingly accepts those responsiblities. Breeders will sometimes gas or drown animals that aren't friendly or profitable, or give them to snake owners.

I hope for your pigs sake you wake up and read up, because you seem nice, but uneducated, and nice but uneducated people's pets often suffer for their ignorance.

At the very least read this: http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html