Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How to tell how old baby is?

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I think I saw this around here someplace at some point, but for the life of me I can't find it when I need it. It had a link to photos of pigs at every age, weights, and lengths if I recall correctly. So far all I've found are weights, and how to sex pups.

I just got back from vacation, and on my first day back to the shelter I volunteer at they have 5 pigs in. I sexed all of them (no one else there knows wheeks from bun buns about piggies ;P). There's a Mom, Dad, and three pups- 2 girls and one boy. Dad is already in a separate cage, but babies are all still in with mom.

The person who abandoned them left no contact info, I'm trying to figure out how old these guys are so that I know if it's too early to separate the baby boy from his mom yet. They were dropped off on the first, and I'd say that the pups are no more than 5 inches in length. I'll be taking in a scale tomorrow to weigh everyone, along with some hay and veggies. None of the small animals there are getting proper nutrition.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
If they're eatting on their own I would seperate the boys and put them with dad personally, just to be on the safe side. If the father's had any contact with the mother she's likely back bred herself, poor thing. Make sure she's getting alfalfa.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I wasn't aware of their existence until right before I left- I couldn't observe them long enough to see if they were eating or not. Will he be okay with dad? I was worried they may fight. Dad's in a less than 2x3 at the moment, I'm going to see if they have any bigger cages lying around.

I'll be picking up alfalfa hay and pellets tomorrow before I head in.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
That I don't know :( Personally, I would intro them on the ground some where and see. Preferably when you're there for a while so you can observe them for a couple hours once back in the cage.

But if it's at all possible he's over 21 days he can't be with his mom or sisters (as I said mom's probably already pregnant again herself).

I totally know what you mean, my local shelter doesn't know very much about small animal care. Fortunitely one of the girls from the Small Animal Rescue and I have been bringing them fleece and stuff and trying to show them how to take better care of their guinea pigs and bunnies. It's totally an uphill battle though (they have the hugest pet store cages that can be found but they're still too small especially to have 2/3 males in them). I cringe when I see that the only veggies they have is like a stick of whole celery. One of the shelter workers tried to feed a DONUT to a guinea pig I was holding because 'it's christmas and he should have a treat!'.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I'll set up a temporary cage for baby boy tomorrow morning to be by himself, just until I can be there for all day to watch him and dad interact. (Tomorrow my husband has an appointment and I can't go stay at the shelter for an extended period of time.)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Adult boars usually love babies.

Baby weights are an indicator but birth weights can vary.

Can you check the babies for umbilical cord stubs? And if mom is nursing still?

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I'll check for umbilical cord stubs and food/milk intake. I'll also put up a sign about the mom possibly being pregnant again and let the full time staff know. The baby girls cannot get pregnant until 48 days or so, correct?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
28 days.

Baby boys should be removed at 21 days. They can impregnante mom or any adult sows.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what age the pups(Maria, Anita, and Fernando) are, as the person who abandoned them didn't tell us. They are all eating and drinking pellets/hay/veggies and water without a problem, so I went ahead and separated baby boy (Fernando).

I'm pretty sure Mom(Rita) is pregnant again though, not sure if it was because of baby or dad(Oscar). My guess is dad.

I'll be doing introductions for Oscar and Fernando tomorrow so that they can keep each other company. Fingers crossed!

We already had an inquiry about Anita and Maria, and I gave both the interested party and the shelter lots of good info- and will continue to provide even more.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Introductions went smoothly for Fernando and Oscar, they're now living in the same cage.

Baby Anita the Black Teddy was adopted by the time I showed up this morning, she went to a family that had another pig. The person who inquired about the baby girls yesterday and didn't put a hold on them is crestfallen.

The shelter asked me to foster Rita since she is (probably) pregnant. They wouldn't let me bring home Maria as well, which worries me a little due to depression potential for baby and/or mom. :/ I feel really bad about splitting them up but seeing as how somebody either threw out or stole the alfalfa I took in just yesterday, I don't want to take the risk of Rita receiving improper care while she may be preggo. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Well it would be bad too let baby bond more with mom and then have them seperated too. :( It's a sticky situation. You'd probably be best to take Rita home after the vet until the next litter comes, being back bred like this she'll have a rough time likely.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
That's true, I hadn't thought of them becoming more bonded. Thanks for raising that point. Both mom and baby seem okay on their own so far. Rita is home with me now (sorry I forgot to make that clear in my prior post) in a quarantine cage and will be coming back with me after the vet tomorrow so long as she is indeed pregnant. I will also build a baby proofed cage.

I'm appalled though- the people at the shelter told me not to take her to a vet, that they just let the rodents 'do their thing'. I'm taking her anyway, obviously. They also told me that guinea pigs do just fine without hay, that they "don't like to feed them too much hay"... it really is an uphill battle. :'(

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
It is, I know. :( Especially when these are suposed to be the experts who are passing on information to their new owners.

I hope Rita's fine and well. They may not be able to tell if she's pregnant again this early on but she shouldn't be adopted out until you're 100% sure either way.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
*nods* That's why they sent her home with me for now. I'll be keeping her for as long as a pregnancy either way. With the babies being at least 3 or 4 weeks old, my guess is her pregnancy could be at 21-30 days. I'll post what the vet has to say after the appt tomorrow.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
I'll check for umbilical cord stubs and food/milk intake. I'll also put up a sign about the mom possibly being pregnant again and let the full time staff know. The baby girls cannot get pregnant until 48 days or so, correct?

Mum can get pregnant almost instantly again tho.

"Since most sows will have an estrus (a time when they can become pregnant) from 2 to 15 hours immediately after giving birth, remove any boar from the cage as the delivery date approaches to prevent back-to-back pregnancies"

information from https://www.guinealynx.info/

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Mum can get pregnant almost instantly again tho.
I know this, but whoever dumped them at the shelter did not. I am trying to resolve a pre-existing scenario.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Vet says she doesn't think Rita is preggo, but that I should keep her for 3 weeks just to be sure.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I am pleased to report that all other 3 piggies have been adopted. Rita is still here with me till we rule out pregnancy, James is going to have a hard time when I take her back to the shelter- he's developed quite the soft spot for pigs...

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I am pleased to report that all other 3 piggies have been adopted. Rita is still here with me till we rule out pregnancy, James is going to have a hard time when I take her back to the shelter- he's developed quite the soft spot for pigs...

No chance of keeping her?

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
No chance of keeping her?
Oi, you're not helping my case! I already have 6. ;)

I could try to introduce her to Kimi, Tahiri, and Leonidas, but then I'd have to rearrange cages, make expansions, etc etc. Those three are in a 2x5 C&C right now- and I don't want to switch them into the other three's 3x4 C&shower curtain as the boys are content in their current set up and I don't want to upset the balance- Hugo still gets mounted on occasion even with almost 16 sq feet of space if I did my math right (41 inches x 56 inches = about 3.417 feet x 4.7 feet = about 15.9 feet). I think a 2x5 meets the minimum for 4 pigs- but I'd prefer not to be a minimalist when it comes to pig space.

I'll consider it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.