Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Types of hay to steer clear of?

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I am trying to make the changeover from buying bagged hay at the pet store to purchasing it by the bale. I mentioned this to a friend and their parents sent me home with a flake of their grass hay that they feed their horses. It's just a mixed grass hay, but I'm not sure if there are any types I should avoid.

What this flake of hay contains, from what she said, was orchard grass, rye, and "just other mixed grasses."

Are there any that I should steer clear of, besides the obvious alfalfa for adult pigs?

I just wanted to ask here before I fed them the flake that I have and got them sick.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa isn't a grass hay -- if the flake is really all grass hay, it should be fine to feed.

WildRye

Cavy Slave
It should be fine -- just make sure it's dry, pretty green, and fresh smelling. If it feels damp, check it for mold. But, honestly, if they're feeding it to their horses, it shouldn't be moldy. Hopefully.

It's definitely more cost-efficient to buy a bale than to fork out $8 at a pet store for what amounts to a flake of hay. As a bonus, my pigs like my "horse" hay better than anything they've gotten out of a bag (Oxbow or otherwise).

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
The quality of the hay is fine, that was the first thing I checked. They keep it stored well and are VERY picky about what they feed their animals. I just wasn't sure if a general mixed grass was acceptable, or if I should stick to orchard grass, timothy, etc. But it sounds like what I have is fine and won't make them sick. Thanks.

Oh, and thanks for the education on alfalfa hay, rabbitsncavyluv.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.