Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggie interested in cat

fernm

Cavy Slave
I have a pen that my husband built for my piggies to run around in during floor time, that I put up in my living room every morning during veggie time. It's big enough for me to sit in with them, which I often do, and they'll come waddling up to me in between nibbles of lettuce or carrot.

Most of my cats don't bother showing up for this event, but my black cat, Mickayla (who came to us declawed), seems to think of floor time as kitty-tv. This does not bother the guinea pigs -- in fact, my black piggie, Chance, will occasionally go up to Mickayla and touch noses with her.

Mickayla knows there is ABSOLUTELY no jumping in the pen, and I am EXTREMELY vigilant about this. But is it ok for the kitty and the pig to even connect through the grids like that? I don't want anyone getting any ideas, but neither do I want the guinea pigs to feel like they need to freak out every time they see the cat.

Here's a photo of the pen and the relevant critters. Thoughts, anyone?

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I only wish my cats...and dogs...were this good when the piggies are out. I think if you are super aware of what your cat is doing, it is okay but I would never leave them unattended together no matter how nice they get along at floor time. You have awesome piggies by the way!!

guineapigloverr

Cavy Slave
I think that it should be fine, but make sure the cat doesn't jump in! just as c foster said, make sure you supervise your pigs when your cat is with them at all times.

snickers

Cavy Slave
Cute Pigs!! I would just be careful of the cat sticking its paws through the grids and swatting your pig in the face. Even if it was just to play the pig might get hurt.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
My pigs and cats love eachother. I think as long as you watch them carefully and know they have a personality that is safe (ie low prey drive etc) its ok. My cats are actually a little freaked out my the pigs.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Cute Pigs!! I would just be careful of the cat sticking its paws through the grids and swatting your pig in the face. Even if it was just to play the pig might get hurt.

I agree with this. Just watch really closely. If your cat does try and swat at them or anything like that, I would do something to show her not to do it. Either way, I think it's fine as long as you are always watching. : )

My dog (RIP), Ashes, was always really curious around the piggies. Haylee and Villie were terrified of him, but Freya adore him. In fact, Freya would stand up on her back feet against the cage so that she could reach him. : ) Surprisingly, Ashes was actually afraid of them and would often run away when they got too close. I think this has something to do with a cat that we used to have... She used to sink her claws into him and ride on his back. lol

Suzq5542

Cavy Slave
My cat Pumpkin loves th pigs....Lenny (one of the pigs) will run up to the side of his cage every time Pumpkin comes over, they touch noses and then Pumpkin walks away. If Pumpkins tail is by the side of the cage or something Lenny will run over and try to sniff it. Its funny. But im always in the room when the cats are. I dont trust them, their hunters by nature and you cant tell what their thinking.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
I think it's a good thing that they're not scared of the cat. As long as your cat knows that the pigs are off limits. I think guinea pigs might be too big for cats to actually want to kill but they love to watch them.

My old 15 year old cat loves mice and birds but he hates the guinea pigs. Not in the 'I wanna kill them' way but 'they disgust me' way. I usually just let them have free range on my floor and do laundry, clean their cage ect ect with the door open and he watches, sitting on the water heater, with his ears back and if I approach him while holding one he takes off. I even have an open cage and he could care less.

My dogs LOVE them. When we have cuddle time I fill a laundry basket with a blanket and put the basket in the middle of the room and sit with them. The dogs will lay beside the basket, my black lab will cover them with the blanket and my shih tzu will get into the basket and lay with them. They love his warmth and he usually licks their heads. Ironically my female lab could care less and gets jealous but my two male dogs have a large motherly instinct when it comes to the guinea pigs.

Vixen

Cavy Slave
I had a box with a towel in it in my guinea pig cage, was supost to be a bathroom for the piggys... but my cat layed in it. The cat would walk through the cage lay in the box didn't bother the piggys one bit (hes declawed in the front) and the piggys didn't seem to care that he was there, they went on about there buisness. I however did find my piggys trying to catch the cats tail when he was sleeping, it was quite silly :D

but I do not think that they are bother eachother as long as they play nice.

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
My one cat Molly is scared to death of Pig. She had her face near his cage and he came out to greet her with tons of wheeks and she couldn't get out of my room fast enough. And Beans sits under the cage and meows at him and he wheeks back, its so cute. lol Pig thinks that their just there to give him attention.

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
I like to lay on my bed with my piggies. They will lay against me. My Murphy comes up and sits with us a lot as well...Even when I was babysitting my friend's piggies before I got my own he would come up on the bed with us. All 4 pigs surprise me, because they are not afraid of him. Murphy runs from them most of the time, but occasionally he enjoys sitting there listening to them purr. My friend's reddish girl, Penny, tried to burrow under his belly one evening and Murphy ran.

As long as there is peace and harmony and monitoring I have never seen any problem. I know I am a newbie but as long as everyone is happy I see no issue...

Your piggies and kitty are cuties too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.