Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My pigs-Introduction 2

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
Yes, I've already had an introduction and I haven't been on in a long time. The small cage was way too small, it was just our starter kit as it came with supplies. With the igloo, it left only half the space of the cage left! With food, water, and another hideout, they were popcorning but the cage cleary was too small.. So, we got a really big cage with a ramp. I mean, it's so big I can fit inside of it! I actually went in it! I couldn't find any shelters nearby or piggies for sale, so we just went to a pet store.. I'm sorry. I agree with the whole adoption thing, I've adopted my dog.. But I couldn't find me, I know it's horrible :weepy:. So anyhow, I bought 2 energetic males. An orange and white named Spongebob and a golden agouti named Patrick. We started off with the tiny cage, but now we have the huge cage. It was expensive, but it's what my cavies need. I didn't make a C and C cage, we just got this instead. It is 46.5" L x 24" W x 24" H. I think I'm doing ok for a piggie pet parent! I've been researching everywhere! They eat high quality pellets, vitamin c,timothy hay, and ocasionall fruits and veggies. They seem really happy. They are very friendly and enjoy being petted and held. The always popcorn and make the 'happy' purr. They have room to run and are healthy, active males! We use totally cedar-free bedding, we use softwood. Here are our stats:
Tell me if you think there is anything I need to change or improve on!
Food: Kaytee Fiesta Max Guinea Pig Food
Hay: Kaytee Timothy
Bedding: Petco Softwood Bedding and Easy Comfort Kiln Dried Pine
Water Bottle: 10 oz, Petco Universal Small Animal Water Bottle
Genders: Both Males
Age of Pigs: Young
Cage: My First Home Deluxe, Extra Spacious Home for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
Cage Dimensions:46.5" L x 24" W x 24" H
Vitamin C Supplement: Seedless oranges, Food with vitamin C, C drops
Colors: 1 orange and white, 1 golden agouti
Pigs' Names: Spongebob and Patrick

:cheerful:CavyChristi and the Pigs

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
Not I couldn't find me, I ment one.

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
There is a ton of information on this site as to why kaytee pellets are not ok and also oranges are too acidic for regular use. Green and colored peppers are recommended for vit c. Please read the nutrition section of the forum. It is extremely informative.

animallover2424

Cavy Slave
I don't think you're supposed to use vitamin C drops. But otherwise it sounds fine.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Cavy Christi said:
Food: Kaytee Fiesta Max Guinea Pig Food
Low quality and a mix, also contains a potential cancer causing preservative. Pigs need high quality plain pellets only. Your pigs would be much better off on Oxbow or Kleenmama's.

Cavy Christi said:
Cage: My First Home Deluxe, Extra Spacious Home for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
Too small for 2 boars. Petstore cages are not advised.

Cavy Christi said:
Vitamin C Supplement: Seedless oranges, Food with vitamin C, C drops
Oranges are not high in C, that's a myth and fruits need to be fed sparingly- no more than a small piece once or twice a week. C drops are useless, please stop putting them in the water. They distort the taste of the water and degrade too rapidly to be of any use. Pigs should get C and the other vitamins and minerals they need through a proper veggie diet. They need the minimum of 1 cup each of veggies per day primarily made up of leafy greens. Go read all the sticky threads in the Diet and Nutrition forum paying particular attention to the Nutrition charts thread.

Also want to mention that Kaytee hay isn't all that great. It can be used but there are many other better quality hays out there.

Cavy Christi said:
I couldn't find any shelters nearby or piggies for sale, so we just went to a pet store.. I'm sorry. I agree with the whole adoption thing, I've adopted my dog.. But I couldn't find me, I know it's horrible
This is a very poor excuse. If you agree with the adoption thing, then you could have waited for cavies to become available. You've been a member here long enough to know how this site feels about petstore purchases.

animallover2424 said:
But otherwise it sounds fine.
It sounds as if you have a lot more learning to do.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Your pet store cage is hardly huge. Doesn't even meet the min. requirements to this site. Your pigs' diet needs overhaul too.

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Ly about summed it all up! The diet does need an overhaul and I hope you really do some reading in the diet section.

Honestly, I'm sure you spent a lot of money on the cage, but it is still too small. You could have made a bigger C&C cage for way less than what you paid for that cage...or even for free!

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
The cage is too small? How big does it have to be? I could only find it at this one certain place, and I can fit inside of it with extra room. Everyone was shocked on how big it was. It makes my piggies look like ants a little bit. My pigs are kind of small, they're young. How many square feet is my cage? Sorry if I sound rude, I'm not trying to be.

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
I fed them an orange once. I put that there because.. I do sometimes. By drops, I don't mean water drops. They're called Vitamin C Drops for Guinea Pigs, with yogurt. You give it to them as a snack or in their food 1-3 daily. They are solid and look like small, yellow Hershey Kisses. I haven't been fedding it to them in a while, instead I give them leafy stuff and ocasionally apples.

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
The cage is too small? How big does it have to be? I could only find it at this one certain place, and I can fit inside of it with extra room. Everyone was shocked on how big it was. It makes my piggies look like ants a little bit. My pigs are kind of small, they're young. How many square feet is my cage? Sorry if I sound rude, I'm not trying to be.
You don't sound rude at all :) For two boars, you should have at least 10.5 sq ft, yours is 7.75 sq ft. It may be okay now while they're young and little but as they grow and go through puberty, you'll need to expand. You could make a 2x4 (10.5 sq ft) C&C cage cheaply....$15 for a pack of grids and $10-20 on average for coroplast.

I fed them an orange once. I put that there because.. I do sometimes. By drops, I don't mean water drops. They're called Vitamin C Drops for Guinea Pigs, with yogurt. You give it to them as a snack or in their food 1-3 daily. They are solid and look like small, yellow Hershey Kisses. I haven't been fedding it to them in a while, instead I give them leafy stuff and ocasionally apples.
Yeah, don't give them the yogurt things. Pigs are herbivores and cannot have milk products. Pet store employees will give you incorrect info and sell you bad/harmful products. Toss those right away!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs shouldn't have yogurt drops - dairy products are not a natural part of their diet (and they're lactose intolerant) and the sugar in them can lead to diabetes and obesity. Seriously, take a very good look at the Diet and Nutrition threads, particularly the sticky threads at the top.

One of the main points of this forum is to show people that they can (and should) have cages bigger than yours, and that they can do so for probably a quarter or less of what you paid.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
Everyone else covered everything you need to know, so welcome to the forum! :)

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
When i got my First two pigs, they looked like ants in their pet store cage, once they got bigger that was a different story.

Everyone on here told me the same thing that it was too small, i didn't listen to them, and did my own thing. I built my first C&C cage last week, and holy it really puts thing into perspective as to how small pet store cages really are.

I also thought everyone on here was nuts with their C&C talk, but now i understand what they were talking about.

So i would just go to walmart, pick up 14 grids (will make 2x5) big enough for 2 pigs, and rona for a 4x8' sheet of coroplast, and look at the how to section, on how to make a proper C&C Cage.

You will notice a BIG improvement in your guinea pigs happy-ness.

Kris

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
Oops, wrong cage name! The cage is My First Home Giant. They were more active in their other cage, some odd reason.. Now they just hide..
Any how, those strong pigs! It took 5 of us to lift the cage and they just moved it all the way to the other side of the table! :D

Last edited:

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
Huh? I'm confused. You guys said my cage of the dimensions of the top is too small and on the C and C cages for sale on the home page it says Extra Large 27[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]" x 71". Isn't it the first 2 2-digit numbers? If so, wouldn't my cage be 46.5" X 24" like it says my cage dimensions are at the top?[/FONT]

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
46.5 inches times 24 inches is 1116 square inches. 1116 divided by 144 (the number of square inches in a square foot) is 7.75 square feet. The recommended area for two pigs is 10.5 square feet.
Can you add on to your cage maybe to expand the area. It must be very frustrating to work so hard to provide for your guinea pigs and be told it is not quite good enough. Sounds like you really love your little guys.

Anabelle&Jane

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs dont like fruits or veggies.
they wont eat them. at all.

what do i do?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You guys are measuring incorrectly - with the outside measurements of the cage. The measurements the company put on the box are not right: Pet Store Cages

If you measure the inside, it is much smaller than what you're figuring.. more like 6.4 sq feet. Probably smaller if you take into account the space the ramp takes up.

There is little vit c in the yogurt drops and mostly sugar and other harmful ingredients. Pet stores like to make money off junk like that.

Last edited:

Cavy Christi

Cavy Slave
46.5 inches times 24 inches is 1116 square inches. 1116 divided by 144 (the number of square inches in a square foot) is 7.75 square feet. The recommended area for two pigs is 10.5 square feet.
Can you add on to your cage maybe to expand the area. It must be very frustrating to work so hard to provide for your guinea pigs and be told it is not quite good enough. Sounds like you really love your little guys.

I really do! *sniff* :weepy: I only want what's best, but I keep messing up.. Honestly, I'm really let down.. My parents when I was getting them wouldn't let me build a C and C cage. They said I was too young to build a cage myself and that they were too big. I started with a tiny cage, my aunt wanted to get it. She said that was plenty enough space. I asked for this huge cage, and she said no that it was too big. Then she said it was too expensive. She said that was too much room for a cage almost the size of a car for 2 small guinea pigs. My mom didn't know about the idea but my dad said it was ridiculously too big and there is a pet sore about half a mile of my house. We couldn't find any adoption centers either, except in Ruston. My parents said that was too far, that we could just go to the pet store near our house. So I had my small cage. I thought nothing of it, just happy popcorning pigs for my birthday.. I came here to perhaps learn about cages and care, on my birthday. A couple of days before christmas, I asked my dad if we could stop at the pet store on the other side of town while we passed by it because they had this huge cage. He said yes, and we looked at the cage. I asked him and he said it was too big and expensive and that he would ask my mom. Turns out, he bought it that morning! He gave it to me on christmas eve and you should've seen how happy I was! I was happy with my huge cage, thinking I had a large cage that met this site's standards that wasn't a C and C cage. I thought I was doing the right thing! Everyone at Christmas Eve, my family, was so happy for me. I'm an animal lover. They thought it was very big and actually thought it was for my dog! Some what thought it was for me! Amped up, I set up the cage nicely. They weren't too happy at first, quite intimitaded. They hid under the ramp. The next day they chut chut chutted, popcorned, and purred all day. I was so happy! So I came back here, I had been busy and not on for a while to post about the cage. I hadn't told the full story yet, but here it is! I'm told it's too small.. I don't wanna upset everyone here or my dad, is there a way I can 'add on' to my cage?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Not really.. unless you add on a free range type set up.

See my reply above yours.

You need to measure the inside of your cage at the very bottom of the tray - not the dimensions on the box. The company prints the outside measurements to make it seem bigger. Your cage is more like 6 sq feet.

You need more space especially when they go through puberty in a few months. They won't have much room if you put two to three of everything in that cage.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.