Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Building a ramp/stairs without using grids?

Aleuser

Cavy Slave
I've had my two piggies since September and, finally, have decided to look into making a ramp. After some struggle, I figured out how to work the grids into placement. Just one dilemma left: A ramp. Or stairs.
I used up my leftover grids from the cage making the second floor and, as such, my dad is completely against buying more grids just to use a few to make a ramp. I'm wondering, then, what could possibly be used to make a ramp or even stairs (I've seen some pictures with that) to get to the second floor, without it being expensive?
At this point, I'd be willing to pay for whatever I'd need to buy to do it myself since my dad would probably be unwilling, but... yeah. I want to give something to my piggies for Christmas, so hey, if I can figure out how to work this, awesome.

Still skimming through photos of ramps, too. Most, however, do use grids, I've noticed.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
What's your objective in building a second level? If you want a kitchen area, you can make a removable one on the first level like Milkingit (and I!) did: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...c-c-cage-aka-guinea-pig-estate-phase-one.html
If you want a sleeping area, you can make one on the first level in a corner or small area in the C&C cage.
If you want extra square footage, second levels don't really add much. In fact, they can sometimes make less running space for your pigs. (This is why I didn't make a second level with my leftover grids.) Instead, you can maybe add more length or width to the cage, making more square footage and more room for food, toys, hideys.

If you still want to build a ramp, you can probably use coroplast if you make it treads so it's easier for the pigs to go up the ramp and into the second level. You could really use anything as long as it's easy for the pigs to get up the ramp.

Good luck!

aquaturtle80

Cavy Slave
I used a piece of plywood 24"L x 7"W, sanded it down and drilled 5 holes at the top so I can attach it to the 2nd level with wire ties. I covered the plywood with leftover fleece that I had I used a staple gun to attach the fleece to the ramp and hammered the staples in to make sure they didn't fall out. It works great and I have not had any trouble with it. I have pictures posted of my cage and you can see the ramps. Hope this helps as a possible idea.

snickers

Cavy Slave
If you have extra coroplast over you can build a ramp using that like I did. Even if you don't have any extra left over, some sign places will have some small pieces available that they are willing to give to you for free or you would have to pay a small amount.
This pic was taken when I first was trying to get my pigs to go up the ramp. I made a hay and lettuce trail for them to follow. With coroplast you need some kind of material on the bottom so the pigs can get traction. In this pic I had a textured rubber mat down but found they weren't going up with that. Then with the help of some members I decided to put fleece down, and that did the trick.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
My old cage had a ramp to a second floor. My husband build it at a very low incline out of plywood and added treads out of small wooden dowels so the piggy wouldn't slip. My lil guy never had a problem getting up and down that ramp. He actually used to hang out in the middle of it, so no slipping there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.