Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels maximizing cage space for my herds

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Hey y'all. I moved recently; the good news is that my guinea pigs have their own room now!! :D
The lousy news is that their room is pretty small, 8x9ft. I have two herds-- five females and two males. Their cages are already built, I had originally intended them to be larger than the minimum, but due to the way the room is set up, I have the males in a 2x3 [they have no territorial issues whatsoever] and the ladies in a 2x6.
I want to maximize the pigs' running space so I was thinking of putting a 1x6 loft with most of their hidey houses, a small hay source and a water bottle. That would leave almost all of the 2x6 area available for lap-running. And I was going to do the same thing with the boys' cage, with a 1x3 loft.

Eventually I'd like to have the boys neutered and just pig-proof the room. That would make so many things so much easier. But for the meantime, does this sound like a good way to maximize their cage space? What do you guys do to make more from less?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I did not think that you could put two males in with females I thought you could put many females with 1 male?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Would it be at all reasonable to do a 2x5 for the girls and a 2x4 for the boys? Or possibly go ahead with your plan of a 2x3 with a 1x3 loft for the boys and put the ramp outside the cage?

The only concern I would have would be that even if the boys aren't having territory issues now, they might if the cage they're moving to is smaller than what they're used to. Of course you know your pigs best and can make the best of the situation and their space based on their personalities and all.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
I think it sounds like a good idea. Also, just so you know, you can't have two neutered males with females. They will fight over the ladies.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Could you put the boys in the 2x6 cage and then pig-proof the room and let the girls live in the remainder of the room? You'll want a lid on the boys' cage so they don't try to get to the girls. If you raise the boys' cage off of the ground you could either let the girls run under it or you could store supplies there.

And to second what others have said, you cannot have two neutered males in with females. They will fight.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Would it be at all reasonable to do a 2x5 for the girls and a 2x4 for the boys? Or possibly go ahead with your plan of a 2x3 with a 1x3 loft for the boys and put the ramp outside the cage?

The only concern I would have would be that even if the boys aren't having territory issues now, they might if the cage they're moving to is smaller than what they're used to. Of course you know your pigs best and can make the best of the situation and their space based on their personalities and all.

Do you mean a 2x5 loft? Not particularly, my concern is that the base I have for the girls' cage makes it very high off the ground, it would be practically impossible for me to reach the girls on the second level if it was a 2x5 or a 2xanything, without a step ladder or something.
Instead of ramps, I am going to make the girls some extra-large fabric tunnels and hang them to the [in]sides of their cage, that way it'll take up less space and I think they'll enjoy it more. The boys like to jump on top of their hidey house so I may make that the step-up to their second level, or if they don't use it I'll fashion them a tunnel as well. As far as territorial issues, Milo and WInston have been together since Winnie was three weeks old. They did fight once upon a time, when I had them living in less-than-ideal conditions, right next to the girls. It was never for more than a moment and never bad enough to draw blood, just Milo chasing Winnie around, really. But since they moved to their new cage, they've had absolutely no problems. I won't be moving them to another cage, just adding a new level.

Could you put the boys in the 2x6 cage and then pig-proof the room and let the girls live in the remainder of the room? You'll want a lid on the boys' cage so they don't try to get to the girls. If you raise the boys' cage off of the ground you could either let the girls run under it or you could store supplies there.

And to second what others have said, you cannot have two neutered males in with females. They will fight.

That's a great idea, that's probably just what I'll do :) Thanks. I may get them neutered just to be safe. Three of my girls are spayed but the two babies aren't.

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Do you mean a 2x5 loft? Not particularly, my concern is that the base I have for the girls' cage makes it very high off the ground, it would be practically impossible for me to reach the girls on the second level if it was a 2x5 or a 2xanything, without a step ladder or something.

I think what she is talking about is make the 2x6 cage in to a 2x5 cage and then make the males 2x3 cage into a 2x4 cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.