Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Make a Piggy BedSpread

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I'm new here. I have been reading all about fleece and bedspreads. From what I have read, to make a bedspread you need:

1. Anti-Pill Fleece. Top layer.
2. Zorb. Middle layer.
3. Mattress Pad. Third layer.

Is this correct? I will sew it all in one. Also, how many layers of each? I think two fleece, two Zorb, one mattress pad? I will pre-wash all of it separately before sewing.

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You really only need one layer of each.

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
One layer of each. Ok thanks. Can you wash it all as one piece? Or would it be easier to keep them separate from each other for washing?

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
It's my understanding that zorb shouldn't be washed alone. It's designed to be between two layers. I would sew a layer of each all together. It should wash fine and would be a lot easier to change. You may even want to quilt it to prevent the middle layer from shifting.

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
what is Zorb?

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
Thank you! That is what I needed to know. I think that this will be a good set up for my cage. For corner spots should I double layer fleece or Zorb? My pig really likes those spots!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can double the zorb in corners, or sew a smaller fleece pads with zorb that you can remove when needed.

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
Removable pads sounds like a good idea. One in each corner and under water bottle. Then just take out when wet. Thanks!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Removable pads sounds like a good idea. One in each corner and under water bottle. Then just take out when wet. Thanks!

If you are going to make removeable pads for the corners and under the water bottom you can make enough extra to change them out half way in between the weekly cage cleaning.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
What is Zorb?

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the double post, but watching her video of the components of the Piggy Bedspread (video was down when I made this thread), she doesn't use a mattress pad. She uses Fleece, Zorb, and a barrier fabric (?). Is that like the Procare stuff they sell on Wazoodle? I might buy one from her to use as a model to make more!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Yes, the procare would be the barier fabric. The mattress pad to go with would be the 250 count luxury Cotton.

Just because she uses a barier fabric to make her bedspreads doesn't you have to make it exactly the same way that she does.

K.K.B.B.

Cavy Slave
I know, just though that a mattress pad might leak, hence the barrier fabric.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use fleece sewed to a mattress pad, and that's all. It lays on the coroplast, and I never have any wetness pooled anywhere on the pad.

I do have small corner litter pans that I made fleece pads for, and I sprinkle just a little aspen in those. I do that because mine were litter trained on aspen when I got them, and I didn't want to upset the apple cart. I'm gradually reducing the amount of aspen in the pans, but do plan to leave the pans there since mine are accustomed to them, and that's where they do most of their peeing.

One word of warning -- wash the fleece several times with HOT water before you use it, as it will continue to shrink a little each time you wash it for several washings. Or, cut it a little bigger than you want it to eventually end up, and just let it shrink.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.