Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Wheat Grass?

Triggs

Cavy Slave
I was looking around the internet the other day and I came across a site advertising "Organic wheat grass kits" And it said perfect for Guinea pigs and rabbits. Is it okay to feed Guinea pigs grass grown from Wheat grains? I was just wondering as I'm pretty sure you can't feed them wheat grains themselves so yeah. Thanks

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, wheatgrass/cat grass is fine for guinea pigs. You can buy seeds cheap (less than $1 per pound) in health food stores or online. Don't buy the kit, use any old container like yogurt or cottage cheese containters and some potting soil. It is easy and fun to grow.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
Yes, wheatgrass/cat grass is fine for guinea pigs. You can buy seeds cheap (less than $1 per pound) in health food stores or online. Don't buy the kit, use any old container like yogurt or cottage cheese containters and some potting soil. It is easy and fun to grow.

Thank you very much! You just saved me $29.95 + $15.00 Shipping. :D

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much! You just saved me $29.95 + $15.00 Shipping. :D

Goodness ! Don't pay that much ! I have twenty pots going for less than $10 !

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
On this subject...

I want to get a VERY "for dummies" wheatgrass growing kit for my friend who has 6 female pigs for Christmas. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Put it together yourself. All you need is seeds, soil, and some pots with drainage. You can include instructions if you want. There are plenty of guides on the internet, but basically you just soak the seeds and put them on top of the soil, and they will grow. It's really very easy.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
What Akstrohm said above. It is basically foolproof. You could even get a small dollar store planter. Or cover a yogurt container with guinea pig pictures and put clear contact paper over it. If you are careful not to overwater, you could buy a dish to be used in the future for guinea pig feeding and grow it in that. My fav. pig dish I got at Dollar Store and it was meant to put cheese spread or dip in. It says "good food, good times, good friends" and has cheery flowers on it. Makes me smile when I put the girls' salad in it.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I somehow managed to totally kill my wheat grass- unless it has a dormant phase or something? Anyhow, I'm going to search for seeds to start a rotating crop. My pigs loved the other one while it lasted.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Well it does eventually die off. Also if you cut it too short, it won't grow back well.

mitzi

Cavy Slave
I've seen people using carefresh to grow wheat grass in. Haven't tried it yet but think I will.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I don't see how carefresh could possibly work. Are you sure it wasn't vermiculite that you saw?

tribbletek

Cavy Slave
I started digging for information on growing wheat grass, and found this video extremely helpful.

As someone who always manages to fail any kind of indoor planting attempt I felt much more comfortable with trying this after watching the video. I'm sure plastic cups with a few holes in the bottom can substitute for his fancy sprouting device, and if you use Zorb, I'm sure it will stand in for the "baby blanket" nicely.:eek:ptimist:

BrianL

Cavy Slave
Cat Grass Servings

Okay, here is your laugh for the day. I was in the grocery today and saw pts of cat grass. I said, oh I am smart I remember this is good for Hammie so I bought 2 pots. Now I've got it home, what do I do with it? Do I simply put the pot, soil and all in Hammie's home and let him go to town with it or do I cut it and give it to him like hay or with the veggies? And is there a recommended serving portion?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
You grow it and cut it and give it to the pigs. Don't put the pot in the cage as you will end up with a dirty muddy pig most likely. If he's never had it before start slow as to not cause tummy upset and increase the amount gradually.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Cut it off a few inches above the ground. This makes it more likely that it will grow back.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I grow wheatgrass on wet newspaper, no soil. It grows well and fast and the piggies love it. The best thing is the whole newspaper lifts out of the dish and I can place it on the floor so they can "graze". You can see it in my gallery :)

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
That's a great idea! I've got some seeds soaking to plant tonight anyway so I think I will try the newspaper idea.

BrianL

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I cut a few blades to let him give it a try and he seems to really go for it.

TheCelticHorse

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

I am new here (and to G.Pigs). I bought a small container of already grown organic wheat grass for my two boys (they are not huge veggie fans yet) and they absolutely LOVE it. I had to pull it out because they were eating so fast and I wanted to start out slow. It was really nice to see them "graze" on something natural!

I am going to find some seed so that I can grow my own. I plan on trying to grow it in so that I can put the whole thing in and they can graze on it like they would naturally.

I was so happy that they liked it. I was wondering, though, if anyone new what the vitamin C content is for wheat grass? I worry about their getting enough vit. C- they are new and we are still having issues with bonding/handling so giving them vit. C via syringe probably isn't going to work too well.

Last edited by a moderator:

doodlebugfinery

Cavy Slave
I was wondering, though, if anyone new what the vitamin C content is for wheat grass? I worry about their getting enough vit. C- they are new and we are still having issues with bonding/handling so giving them vit. C via syringe probably isn't going to work too well.

Marcell

Hi Marcell-
According to this wheatgrass nutrition chart I found on wikipedia 1oz/28ml of wheatgrass juice has 1mg of vitamin C. For comparison 1/4 cup/30g of raw red bell pepper has about 48mg of C (according to the USDA).
Check out this awesome nutrition chart that moderator Ly&Pigs posted:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730
Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.