Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need advice about separating piggies

MaevesPiggies

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted 3 females, only one kept getting fatter, so I took all 3 to the vet on Tuesday. You guessed it: One of my shes was a he and I had two pregnant sows. I removed the male (Nutmeg) into a separate cage suitable for 1 (max 2) guinea pigs on Wednesday. I left the 2 females together since one seemed much further along than the other.

Ginger gave birth to two adorable, healthy-looking babies today. Mocha (still pregnant) and Ginger had a little conflict when Mocha scooted into the hidey house with the babies while Ginger was having a snack. My daughter moved Mocha in with the male to give the new Mom a little space.

Can I move Mocha back with Ginger and the babies? I don't want to keep Mocha with the male in case she gives birth before I expect it.

Thanks

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How big are your cages? They may be too small. Are there at least 2 to 3 of everything in the cage?

You need to remove the sow from the male's cage regardless.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You can put Mocha back in with Ginger and the babies, and you will need to learn how to sex them yourself so that any male babies can be seperated at 21 days as they can impregnate any females in the cage with them at that time.

A little tip a boy pup looks like a i and the little girls look like y or a v sometimes. The boys are a definately an i.

MaevesPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for answering. It sounds like you think the females and babies can be together safely. My females' cage is a 2 x 5 C&C cage w/ large hay feeder, and two of everything else.

My male is in a separate cage (24" x 45 ½" x x 21” (height) and he has one of everything. (All three came in this cage, which I replaced right away w/ the larger C&C--Had the smaller one listed on Craig's list and I'm so glad I didn't sell it!!)

How old do the babies have to be to determine gender? I may take them to the vet because I want to make absolutely sure I get the boys out of that cage and in with their dad at 21 days.

I have another question about neutering which I will post separately. Thanks again!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They can be pretty easily sexed at a week old. I wouldn't go by shape of genitals. I'd try to get a penis to pop out of the sheath. Just hold the pup firmly with one hand and with the other put your thumb at the very top of the genitals. Feel for a shaft underneath the skin then press gently but firmly to see if a penis pops out.

MaevesPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thanks--Will do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.