Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Beds

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Hey Im about to get a guinea pig but i cant find a cozy for him! I was wonderin if you could use a build a bear pet bed instead?? Please help:confused:

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I think so.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can. In fact, there was a thread about this a little bit ago (I think it was the Christmas present thread). Any pet bed is fine for guinea pigs, really. However, you need to be weary about some things like strings and fuzzy material use on the bed.

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
I think its safe but it does have foam in the middle of it would that be a problem

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It would have to be taken out and washed periodically. There are so many things that can be used for guinea pigs and other small animals like rats. I have many homemade hideys, hammocks, beds, toys, etc.

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. how can you make your own cozy

snickers

Cavy Slave
You can try making your own, you don't need to be an experienced sewer. There is a post about how to make them. It's pretty easy.
Also, Build a Bear has a little hello kitty chair that is cute, and a dog house. They got cute things. You can also try cat/dog beds as well.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. how can you make your own cozy

There is a tutorial up in the sticky threads of this section that gives step by step directions on how to make your own cozy.

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Oh another question can you litter train a guinea pig? Bedding is expensive especially for a 2x4 C&C cage! Once you train them to go in a certain area do you need to have anything down on the coroplast? Ill have a bed for them to snuggle in and stuff, but is that it?:?:

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Thanks everybody

snickers

Cavy Slave
You can try doing a search on top menu bar. There are so many posts regarding litter training. Pigs poop wherever they want to poop, there is no specific way to training them. Alot of them tend to poop in corners, while others poop under there hideys, other times they poop while they are eating in the kitchen area. If they poop in the corners, you can put a littler box there with some carefresh to help distinguish that spot is the pooping area. If they poop while they are eating, you can make a so called kitchen area filled with carefresh so it's easier to clean.
You have to have some sort of bedding down because they have sensitive feet and you wouldnt want them walking around in there pee and poop even if they get the hang of the litter box. Plus pigs dont always sleep in the beds, they sleep everywhere. Besides just having beds, you need some hidey's, pigloos, you can add a piece of fabric to the corner of the cage to make it seem like a tent, there are all different types of hideys. You can also check out the photo gallery for more options. They also need some toys to keep themselves entertained. You can try paper towel rolls empty or cut down the middle and fill it with hay, bird toys, stuffed animals they like sleeping with (mine do at least), cat ball ( just make sure to keep an eye out on the bell inside, or try to get some that don't have a ball). Stay away from treat sticks, the treats that they sell at the pet stores like yoguart treats, hay tumblers ( they can get there heads stuck inside), and don't get a harness or leash for him/her.
Fleece is a nice touch to the cage, you can read all about fleece in the bedding section. Plus it's fun to use different colors, patterns to make the cage stand out. You will also see a difference in the way your pig is acting, as well as having a C&C cage for them. They love it!
Also, are you getting 1 or 2 pigs? Getting 2 will give the 1 a companion so it isnt lonely during the day.
Hope this all helps

Last edited:

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Hi Yup you can use build a bear beds.I got one gor my piggie girls for christmas.There is a lovely one with pink satin and white fur. Beautiful but not suitable. The hello kitty one is fine. Washable so no problem

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
How high maintanance is the fleece? Are you guys absolutely sure the build a bear pet bed is ok, it has polyfoam in it. I'll definately use carefresh or something for them, can anyone recomend any yoys for them? Also is it ok to use rainbow chew sticks (I dought it)?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Cozies are not a requirement. Guinea pigs do need somewhere to hide. Easy and cheap ways of doing this are cardboard boxes and towel tents (clip a small towel to the corner of the cage).

I wouldn't use a Build A Bear. It's probably safe, but it will be expensive and probably won't hold up well in the wash. Just give your pigs a few extra pieces of fleece instead--they'll love it just as much.

Please read the sticky in the bedding section called The Fleece Project. It will answer all of your questions on fleece.

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! I'll read that Fleece Project thing. Ok guys one more question! The guinea pigs I'm getting are only three weeks old and I heard they need baby pellets instead of adult food! Is this true?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Yes They need some sort of calcium, You could either give them alfalfa pellets, Alfalfa hay, or you could give them some veggies with more calcium like parsly.

Also this thread is about beds Any thread about Diet and Nutrition belongs in the Diet and Nutrition area of the forum if I am correct, May I suggest that next time you have a question do a forum search before starting a new thread.

rumorrider

Cavy Slave

snickers

Cavy Slave
Baby guinea pigs need alfalfa pellets until 6 months of age. One good brand of pellets for babies is Oxbow Cavy Performance for babies. They need extra calcium when they are younger, and can be fed unlimited amount of pellets when they are babies. After 6 months you can stop feeding the alfalfa to them, and switch them over to Timothy pellets, Oxbow Cavy performance 1/4 cup per pig. Over doing the calcium can cause bladder stones that is why you have to stop when they are adults. If you notice white stuff when they pee on the bedding, that means they are getting too much calcium and you should cut back on high calcium veggies and food.

snickers

Cavy Slave
The timothy pellets that I mentioned are Oxbow Cavy Cusine. NOT Cavy Performance. oops!

rumorrider

Cavy Slave
Thanks! And I have checked those threads and they did'nt answer my questions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.