Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C A Couple of Questions

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I'm having a couple of issues with keeping the blanket fairly clean and dry.

First is the hay issues. I have a grid set up against the grid wall like a trough and what happens is that within a day there's hay everywhere. So I'm not sure if it's because the girls are only eating the finer hay and pulling out the course stuff or they're just sloppy eaters. Any ideas on how to keep it neeter or is it suppose to look like this.

Second is the water bottles. The tube is cleaned out once a day and yet the blanket/towels are always wet. Could I have a "water baby" on my hands? How can I keep the bedding dry? I thought of putting their old food dishes under the spout but the reason I got rid of those was because Tasha kept flipping the bowls. Any ideas?

Third is a second story. I've seen some have open ramps and some are closed. Will the girls jump off the ramp?

Thanks

snickers

Cavy Slave
First is the hay issues. I have a grid set up against the grid wall like a trough and what happens is that within a day there's hay everywhere. So I'm not sure if it's because the girls are only eating the finer hay and pulling out the course stuff or they're just sloppy eaters. Any ideas on how to keep it neeter or is it suppose to look like this.

Third is a second story. I've seen some have open ramps and some are closed. Will the girls jump off the ramp?

That's not uncommon about the hay. You can make a box out of the extra coroplast and put it under the grid, that way all the hay collects in there and you don't waste any, you could also try a litter pan, or buy a little plastic storage bin. If you take a look at the hay rack photo galleries, you can see some pics of what people use so the hay doesnt land on the bedding.
As for the ramps, it depends on the pig. Alot of pigs are scared of heights and they will not jump off. The closed ramps are to make the pig feel more secure in order to use the ramp, along with ramps having edges to make the pig feel more secure and not fall off the ramp. Some pigs it will take awhile for them to use the ramp, so I would suggest putting a cover over the ramp such as cardboard, or bent grids covered with fleece until they get used to using the ramp. It's like a tunnel for them to go in.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Hay tends to get everywhere. The best solution is to make a separate kitchen area--either a sectioned off part on the main level or a loft (neither will count toward the space requirements). That way the hay should stay confined mostly to the kitchen area. You can use bedding instead off fleece here if that's what you prefer. Check out the gallery for examples.

Could the water bottle be leaking? If so, I would get a different kind. If not, you can put a brick underneath it to absorb some of the water.

Ramps should have walls (and a top if you want). Pigs are unlikely to use them if they don't have walls, and they're not as safe that way.

ojars

Cavy Slave
Yes, some cavies will jump off the ramp -- all the quicker to get down to the level below. Billy is a fearless jumper and has jumped from nearly the top of our open ramp -- a drop of a full foot. Hence our need to do a ramp upgrade.

Last edited:

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
So if I get a plastic dishpan, I can put the hay in there. In other words, I don't need a formal hay rack? Right!

I think I understand now. I searched the entire gallery and although the ideas are very creative, some are difficult to see.

thanks

Fellie

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to stop the guinea pigs from jumping off higher levelled floors? I've recently just put a ramp in and had to give it some walls to stop little iggy from hurting himself, but whenever i give him some time in the new cage he jumps off the top floor, luckily i managed to catch him the first time and have removed the ramp until i can make it Iggy-proof.

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to stop the guinea pigs from jumping off higher levelled floors? I've recently just put a ramp in and had to give it some walls to stop little iggy from hurting himself, but whenever i give him some time in the new cage he jumps off the top floor, luckily i managed to catch him the first time and have removed the ramp until i can make it Iggy-proof.
Can you post a picture of how your cage is set up, then we can give some better suggestions :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.