Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Kleenmama to Canada: Customs charges?

tmb_3410

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow Canucks-

For anyone who orders Kleenmama's pellets and gets them shipped to Canada, what sort of customs fees do you end up paying? Is it the same charge all of the time? Or does it seem to change like the wind? Do you usually have it shipped via Canada Post? Or through the more pricey UPS?

How are the pellets themselves when they arrive? Have you ever had problems with packages arriving damaged?

I was thinking of ordering KM's pellets, but KM had no idea what sort of customs charges her Canadian customers normally incur, so I thought I'd seek out the help of fellow posters.

Thanks in advance.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You could ask KM these questions. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer them.

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
Custom fees are based on the taxes.

So if you bought say $100 of pellets, then in Ontario you would be charged 7% PST and 5% GST, so $13.

Its the tax the government isn't getting pretty much.

Of course I've bought a $3000 engagement ring, and not been taxed, but I've been taxed on a $3 sticker book for my niece.

tmb_3410

Cavy Slave
You could ask KM these questions. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer them.

I did, she had no idea and recommended I seek out current Canadian customers and ask them. (I mentioned that above).

Thanks Milkingit- Good to know that hopefully it's just the standard taxes.

I wasn't sure if it was just the tax the border would charge, or other additional "import" fees or what-have-you, like what you would see on an Amazon.com order from the US to Canada.

If anyone has had issues, or problems with the border, I'd love to hear the horror stories. I want to really look into this fully before I decide whether I want to start getting pellets shipped.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Kleenmama's can only send pellets not hay over the boarder as well due to grain laws of some kind. I believe she uses UPS. The information is on the site. You MAY get wacked with brokerage charges, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. It's kind of random in my experience. You'd have to speak to the shipping company she uses and find out how they deal with these things as it's not in the vender's control but the shippers.

When I priced out kleenmama's it was STILL cheaper to buy pellets and get them shipped from her then some of the other alternatives but fortunitely I found a local supplier of Oxbow.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
I live in Edmonton Alberta and I ordered from her. It took a week for 10 lbs of pellets to arrive. They were in a bag, in a small box and they arrived perfectly fine. I transfered them to a large ziplock snap container to keep them fresh and it was I believe $30.00 including shipping, handelling and the pellets themselves.

I'm very happy with them. They're different than normal pet store pellets which I expected but my guinea pigs are very happy with them as well. They demand them when they're daily serving runs out.

So I would say fo for it, it isnt that expensive and it's worth it. It may take a while to get to you because of customs but they use UPS and I'm happy with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.