Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels To build or not to build!

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of adding a loft to my cage. I have two girls. My cage is a 2x3 right now. I want to hear what you think I should do. I have a few questions too.
  • Is there an alternative to ramps that won't take up as much room in my cage?
  • Do you think this will make the cage smell better or worse?
  • Should the top be fleece or carefresh (the bottom level of my cage is fleece.
Please do not tell me I need the bottom level to be bigger, I already know this and the min. for 2 pigs is 2x3.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Correction- minimum for 2 sows is 2x3 but not for 2 boars.

There really is no alternative to some sort of ramp to get to a second level unless it's an external type ramp.
A second level may or may not have an effect on overall smell of the cage depending on what you use for bedding.
The top level can be fleece if that's what you want.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I have a loft but I don't really like it. It makes the whole cage harder to clean and grab pigs out of. The pigs don't really go up there much because they have everything they need downstairs.

Overall I don't find a loft that useful.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
My cage has a second level-- I wouldn't call it a loft because it's a 2x6 with a 2x3 second level. Anyways, I use it as a hangout space, it has the hammocks, most of the houses and the snuggle bags in it. All of the fooding goes on on the first level in their kitchen/litterboxes. This cuts down on how often I have to change the fleece bedding; I just change the litterboxes as needed.

As for your points, the alternative to a ramp inside the cage is a tunnel or a ramp outside of the cage.
T make the cage smell better, if I were you, I would add a kitchen or litterbox area. If this is what you want to do with your loft, fill it with an inexpensive litter, like yesterday's news or wood pellets. Make that the main hay station, where the pellets, at least one water bottle, and the salad are.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
If you run PVC pipe outside your cage secuered with zip ties and cut into the grids it takes no room at all. And the pigs will be more comfortable using it. Also if you zip tie your supports 2-3 squares up rather than the base you can slide the fleece under the gap easy. And it helps to hold it down. I find my pigs love playing around with the levels and pipe.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
My cage is as close to rampless as you're probably going to get, take a look at my gallery. I'm sure it wouldn't suit old pigs but it works fine for my guys. They love their upper level, as do I - they go up there when I clean the bottom, and vice versa, and it leaves their lowest floor entirely clear for running around.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I don't really like the idea of a pipe running outside of my cage because I like to be able to always see my pigs and I would be afraid they might get stuck in there. And it would be really hard to clean. If I do add a second level It would probually be an L shape like this picture: Redesigned... diggin the zebra print! - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Should I make the ramp like this: Redesigned... diggin the zebra print! - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

This:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/392
Or this: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7799

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you open the top of the pipe they won't get stuck, and depending on how you build it, it's not hard at all to clean. Here's mine:

whole_tunnel.jpg

The straight section of the tunnel comes out of the elbows and gets sprayed with the hose, and the liner goes in the washer and dryer.

lissie

Cavy Slave
This ramp is great.
Easy Ramps, #05 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

My pigs love it. I use the same concept but have the upper part of the ramps towards two lofts at each end of the cage. My pigs run laps under the ramp all the time. You can see the ramp in the middle with the yellow fleece covering it.

IMG_1452.JPG

You can see a video of Cookie running laps under the ramp.
YouTube - Cookie Running Laps

Triggs

Cavy Slave
I don't have photos of mine yet but it's similar as above. It's easy to clean. And I found my pigs wouldn't use a ramp. But they love their pipes. And it takes no room at all. Mine don't get stuck they even slide past each other. And turn around in it.

Triggs

Cavy Slave
By as above I mean like black arrows

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
So I have decided to build an upper level and use his ramp Easy Ramps, #01 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I am so excited! They new level is going to be the lounge. I am thinking of getting a hanging cube and put it up there. I am not at all worried about them not being able to figure out how to use the ramp because my pigs are very adventerous. I am so happy they are in my room now because there is no way my parents would have let me do this if they were still in the living room.

superfastpiggie

Cavy Slave
I like the PVC pipes, but my pigs are big (950 and 1200 grams)-- I dont think they would fit inside. :confused:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used black drainage pipe (because it's easier to work with), and it's the same size as PVC. Both my pigs are right at 1100 grams, and they fit just fine.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I think I will just go with the ramp I said before. It wont take up any more room in my cage because I already have a bent grid tunnel where the bottom of the ramp will go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.