PDA

View Full Version : Vetbed

howardjonesuk
03-03-05, 05:32 am
I have invested in some vetbed for my Guinea's cages and I think it is brill.

It was quite expensive at £14 per 1 metre by 1.5 metre piece www.ebay.co.uk (http://www.ebay.co.uk) but, I bought two sheets and it made three lots for my three cages that is 3 changes each so that I can have one set in the cages, one set in the wash and one spare set. I have had it a week now and have changed it every other day which is very easy to do, just lift out and pop in the wash. It dries very quickly too.

No longer the waste of food either as it can be easily picked up and popped back in the food bowl if it gets spilt also dropping are easily removed. I tend to do it three or four times a day just to keep on top of it.

Vetbed is so clean too no more messy shavings to cling to the fur/food or spill out onto the floor and what's more the vetbed absorbs the liquids so that the top stays dry. I would highly recommend trying it, I am sure you wont look back.

Treen
03-03-05, 06:27 am
I tried it and it is good - far superior to towels or fleece in terms of keeping the surface nice and soft and dry for the pigs. If I used a washable bedding, I'd definitely use this. Like you say it can be a bit expensive but it's really good stuff, and would be great if a pig had had an operation and needed to be kept on something soft and dry.

Washing it was the pain for me though - with bits big enough for two 2 x 4 cages, each piece was a load on its own, needing to be washed every couple of days. It was a pain to get all the bits of hair and hay off first too, and I found it did leave some lint and hair in the washing machine which went on to clothes in subsequent washes.

That was just my experience though - glad it's working so well for you!

howardjonesuk
03-03-05, 06:39 am
I tried it and it is good - far superior to towels or fleece in terms of keeping the surface nice and soft and dry for the pigs. If I used a washable bedding, I'd definitely use this. Like you say it can be a bit expensive but it's really good stuff, and would be great if a pig had had an operation and needed to be kept on something soft and dry.

Washing it was the pain for me though - with bits big enough for two 2 x 4 cages, each piece was a load on its own, needing to be washed every couple of days. It was a pain to get all the bits of hair and hay off first too, and I found it did leave some lint and hair in the washing machine which went on to clothes in subsequent washes.

That was just my experience though - glad it's working so well for you!Yes I see what you mean about hay sticking to it, but if you give it a good shake before putting it into the washing machine it's not too bad.

After a few weeks it will have paid for it's self anyway (no more expensive shavings to buy) yippee, so I'm well pleased with it and I think so are the piggies. Much warmer and cosier. However I guess they will have to have their nails clipped more often.

Treen
03-03-05, 06:47 am
I used to beat it with a dustpan brush on the washing line, but it was hard to get it all off! Those bits of hay really sewed themselves in!

Even though I don't use it, I still have it and am glad it's there. It's a one off cost and lasts well, and I know it will come in handy if anyone is poorly. And the pigs did like it - it certainly looks comfy!

howardjonesuk
03-03-05, 07:14 am
I used to beat it with a dustpan brush on the washing line, but it was hard to get it all off! Those bits of hay really sewed themselves in!

Even though I don't use it, I still have it and am glad it's there. It's a one off cost and lasts well, and I know it will come in handy if anyone is poorly. And the pigs did like it - it certainly looks comfy!
I have a hay rack so the hay only seems to cling to one corner of the vetbet. I beat mine too with one of those things you beat door mats with :-)

Treen
03-03-05, 09:12 am
Mine weren't happy with a hay rack - they love playing in mounds of hay too much and aren't pleased if they don't get it! So that's probably where I fell down!

Moxie
03-03-05, 04:51 pm
Has anyone found vetbeds in the US?

howardjonesuk
03-04-05, 04:37 am
Have you tried www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) for USA purchases there may be some on there.

howardjonesuk
03-04-05, 02:25 pm
Has anyone found vetbeds in the US?Try these two sites http://www.palacepet.com/details.htm
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=81684&mscssid=BFF4BFD6E7F14346A53A316BF0D67B7F&Gift=&GiftID=

LUVMY2PIGS
03-04-05, 06:04 pm
Thank you for posting the two links to purchase the vet bed. I plan to order a few. Looks like they will work good.

dansamy
03-05-05, 02:31 pm
Um...what are they?

Piglet
03-05-05, 02:48 pm
Can I use them underneath my towels?

Poohbear
03-05-05, 02:57 pm
I think vetbed is a nicer version of fleece or it is like a tempropedic pillow. My cavies have 1 in their cuddle area and my dog has one in her cage so she is comphy so when she gets tired and everybody is loud and her couches are taken and her beanbag she sits in her cage on her tempropedic pillow!

dansamy
03-06-05, 12:29 am
Is it shaggy? Or is it smooth like temperpedic?

Piglet
03-06-05, 02:34 am
Its quite smooth

howardjonesuk
03-07-05, 02:10 am
Can I use them underneath my towels?
You can use them over your towels.

It is veterinary bedding has been designed to soak moisture away and keep your pet warm and dry fluffy on top with a green Auto Clave backing which makes the bedding washable on the boil setting.

Piglet
03-07-05, 03:18 pm
Oh...I'll see if I have the money. Could always try to convince the parents I suppose! I've found some on ebay which is quite cheap.

dagwellismypigy
03-07-05, 03:46 pm
Wowo, that stuff is way too expensive for me. I wish I had a job.

Piglet
03-10-05, 01:35 pm
Yay! I'm going to get some of ebay tomorrow. Its really cheap, about 6 pounds for a peice thats as big as a 2x3 so hands off! =) I change my towels every 3-4 days and they are relatively dry by cleaning day. If vetbed is more absorbant, then is there a need of changing it every other day?

charliesmommy
03-13-05, 11:27 pm
I can't wait to get this stuff! Fleece is okay, but this sounds like it would be better. Is the product from KV Vet Supply & Palace Pet Bedding exactly the same? It looks different than the vetbed I found on ebay.

Piglet
03-16-05, 03:50 pm
I got some. Yay! Its soooo soft and fluffy, the pigs just sink in it. They love lying on it and it matches my room! Set me back 20 pounds for a peice that measures 40" by 60", and its roughly 3cm thick. Been two days and its still dry.

Poohbear
03-16-05, 03:55 pm
Cool, remember to post pics.

lindsey's boys
03-16-05, 04:02 pm
That's awesome Piglet!!!!!!!

Piglet
03-16-05, 05:25 pm
Iv taken pics but I can't find the USB thingy to upload them onto my PC. Its too late now, so I'll post them tomorrow. They look so cute running in it, because most of their legs sink =)

Poohbear
03-16-05, 05:57 pm
Hehe, can;t wait to see.

Piglet
03-17-05, 02:56 pm
Iv got some pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Cosmic_babe/vetbed2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Cosmic_babe/vetbed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Cosmic_babe/vetbed3.jpg

Treen
03-18-05, 12:17 pm
Oooh purple, very stylish! Glad it's working for you. Let me know how you get on when you put it through the wash - or do you get sent to the launderette to do the pigs' laundry?!

Piglet
03-18-05, 12:36 pm
I love the purple. I'm worried about the washing though, because my mum won't let me put it through the washing machine. Im going to have to wash it by hand which might be tricky because its so thick. No, I don't go to the laundrette although its a good idea!

Treen
03-19-05, 11:54 am
I tried washing it in the bath a few times before I gave up on using it as full time bedding! Gave me a right backache though, and was quite time consuming! It holds liquid so well that it gets pretty heavy when it's wet, and drying it without using the spin cycle on the washing machine was sloooooooow!

But I still think it's great stuff and I live closer to a launderette now than when I last used it, so if when I need to use it again, I'll be popping over there!

crittermom
03-19-05, 12:33 pm
Piglet, are there any problems so far with smell? I'm considering giving vetbed a try, as I'm spending a huge amount on carefresh. I'm one of those for whom fleece, despite following all the helpful suggestions, didn't work (smelled bad after a short time, pigs wouldn't stop eating the fleece). Since it's so thick, do they pull on it like fleece? Does it need to be fastened down? Sorry for the multiple questions, but any input you have would be great!

Piglet
03-19-05, 01:21 pm
Its still SO dry! I will wash it tomorrow and see how it goes. There's no smell either. My pigs havn't tugged on it or anything, they didn't tug on towels either. Your may be chewers... I've got some bricks on top now, so they don't burrow underneath it.

crittermom
03-19-05, 08:15 pm
That's great, Piglet! Your pigs must be so happy with their new living surface. I'm giving it serious thought, just afraid to invest the money if mine are going to keep chewing and eating wads of fuzz. Hmm, you'd think unlimited timmy hay and good veggies would keep 'em from doing that, lol. They can be little stinkers. Have fun, and thanks!

Treen
03-21-05, 07:55 am
I didn't have any problems with mine chewing it either. I'd imagine the bits they'd go for most are the edges so just make sure it fits snugly or you can cover those if you're worried it might be a problem,

Piglet
03-24-05, 03:35 pm
Treen, the washing was such hard work! My arms hurt the next day =) I filled up a bucket, put the vetbed in and it soaked all the water up! SO, it took me about 10 minutes to wash it by hand. However, it did dry exceptionally quickly.