Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I want to move my cage... Is my heater a problem?

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I would live to move my girls' cage up to my room so I can be closer to them. They are currently in my living room, and my mom hates it. If I were to move my cage to my room, then we could make it bigger and we could get them more toys, so they would benefit from this. There is one problem, though. In my room, I have those heaters that are on the wall close to the ground and if I put my cage upstairs then they would have to be by the heaters. We hardly ever have them on during the day (because no one is home), and only sometimes at night. When we have them on, it's never above 68 or 69 degrees. The cage would not be right up against them, but it would be surrounded. Would I need to cover them or anything? Can they be near the heaters without over-heating? Thank you in advance.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Depending on how close you are talking about the pigs being to the heater, they could get too warm and the heater could melt or warp the coroplast.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Based on the dimensions of my room, they would be about 3-4 inches away from the heater and their cage would extend out to the middle of my floor (more or less).

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I don't know how much that would be safe. Could you maybe move your room around so your piggies aren't so close to the heater?

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Heaters surround my entire room. The only space that does not have a heater around it is my closet.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Heaters surround my entire room. The only space that does not have a heater around it is my closet.
Hmm. Is there a way you could close off a couple vents for the piggies?

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I would need to see a photo of your room.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm confused. Are you talking about actual heaters mounted in the wall, with their own controls to turn on and off? Or are you talking about the vents where the forced air from the furnace comes out?

If you've got actual heaters, I'd think it depends on what kind. If they're hot water heaters, like radiators, then it shouldn't be a problem if the cage isn't getting too hot. But if they're open flame gas heaters, there's a huge danger of fire. I'm guessing that's not what they are, because you rarely find them in houses any more.

If what you've got is just the vents from the furnace, then the problem you'd have with the GPs may be more one of dry air than of heat.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about what type of heaters we have.
Here is a picture;

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Those are hotwater type baseboard heaters and it should be fine for the guinea pigs.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!! : )
The next problem is getting rid of this ugly chair in my room, then the pigs are going on up! : )

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
According to what everyone else said. Those heaters should be fine.

Kind of off topic but um, is your "ugly" chair wooden? If so, maybe you could buff it up a bit(Re-paint it) and give it to a goodwill nearby.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
According to what everyone else said. Those heaters should be fine.

Kind of off topic but um, is your "ugly" chair wooden? If so, maybe you could buff it up a bit(Re-paint it) and give it to a goodwill nearby.

The chair is this weird, gross fabric (it's a crumbly texture that is very rough) and it is maroon. It's part of a sectional. Haha. I'm giving it to my sister in the next room over because she has another section. : )

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
The chair is this weird, gross fabric (it's a crumbly texture that is very rough) and it is maroon. It's part of a sectional. Haha. I'm giving it to my sister in the next room over because she has another section. : )
Well, there ya go!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could put the cage on a small table? The air blowing directly on the pigs would not be good.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ly, I don't think it's a hot air heater. It looks like either baseboard electric or baseboard hot water. SF, when your furnace is running, is there hot air being forced out of those heaters, or is the hot air just rising up from them?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could put the cage on a small table? The air blowing directly on the pigs would not be good.
We've thought about that. We just like the cage being on the floor because it's easier for us to get them out. (Especially because we want to add our old 2x4 coroplast to our 2x5 section.)
We wondered if putting a cloth over it would be sufficient or not.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Ly, I don't think it's a hot air heater. It looks like either baseboard electric or baseboard hot water. SF, when your furnace is running, is there hot air being forced out of those heaters, or is the hot air just rising up from them?

Air is not being forced out, it rises up. There isn't any air flow from the heaters, really...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then they should be fine as long as they don't get too hot. If the cage gets too warm, you could put a couple of layers of cardboard between the heater and the cage -- that kind of heater is not a fire danger.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Then they should be fine as long as they don't get too hot. If the cage gets too warm, you could put a couple of layers of cardboard between the heater and the cage -- that kind of heater is not a fire danger.

Ok, thank you so much for your wonderful help! The girls especially appreciate it because they are going to get a HUGE cage to run around in. :D They are spoiled rotten, haha. Right now, we just have to move furniture around in two room and then build the new cage. I'll be sure to post pictures to my gallery when everything is complete!

Thank you again, everyone, for your help with this thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.