PDA

View Full Version : Conditions light redish/pinkish goo

Vixen
12-07-09, 09:16 pm
I've just noticed some red liquid in my 2 girls cage. I bought a little white caarpet to put under there hay and I see it on there. Ive seen little red spots on the fleece before but didn't think anything of it thinking they may have had a red veggy. red pepper is common in there diet.

I do not know which one of my piggys is doing it. So I put them both in a quarenteen on white peper to see if it was coming through with the pee.

I just cleaned their cage. Trimmed there fur and gave them a bath. I know Ididn't knick them while trimming as I gave them a bath right after and I didnt see any blood.

please help

Vixen
12-07-09, 09:20 pm
Okay 1 just peed. doesn't look red. but more of a brown. So I think shes okay.

snickers
12-08-09, 08:16 am
How often are you giving the red pepper? Red peppers are high in sugar. I only give mine a small chunk couple times a month.

Suzq5542
12-08-09, 11:38 am
Oh what a coincidence!! I just came on here with the same question!! I changed Lennys cage last night, he doesn't like to be picked up so I cut a little (aprox 8 inches) flap in the side of the coroplast and folded it down so he was able to walk right out. I had a piece of lettuce and a baby carrot waiting for him (to help him come out) on the floor outside of the cage. When I was done cleaning and changing the fleece and what-not, I got him back in and about an hour later I noticed a strange orangish-brownish-redish goo spot on his tan fleece. This is the first time using this color fleece because the other one is a green camo. So could it be from the carrot he had eaten shortly before?? I hope so. I have never noticed this before. Ill take a picture if anybody want to see it.

Vixen
12-08-09, 12:25 pm
I don't give red peper much. I'm a fruite and veggy person so i end up eatting most of it before the piggys get it. THey haven't had any recently. And the spots in the cage only happen once in a blue moon.

Vixen
12-08-09, 12:27 pm
Doesn't there pee have a natural brownish color? because maybe its just the white carpet. On my black and white Fleece I don't see anything. only on the new run I pu tin there for their hay

Ly&Pigs
12-08-09, 01:29 pm
Doesn't there pee have a natural brownish color? because maybe its just the white carpet. On my black and white Fleece I don't see anything. only on the new run I pu tin there for their hayNo, normal color would be yellow. Brownish/orangy pee means pee that has oxidized due to the oxygen in the air hitting it. Red/pink pee can signify blood. Some veggies can discolor pee, but red bell pepper usually isn't one of them, especially very small amounts. Carrots do not discolor urine either. Beets, on the other hand, can change the color of pee. White pee is excess calcium being expelled.

If you continue to see pink or reddish tinged spots, you need to take the pig in question (after you figure out who's doing it) to the vet to make sure she does not have a UTI.

Duffinvt
12-08-09, 01:34 pm
No, normal color would be yellow. Brownish/orangy pee means pee that has oxidized due to the oxygen in the air hitting it. Red/pink pee can signify blood. Some veggies can discolor pee, but red bell pepper usually isn't one of them, especially very small amounts. Carrots do not discolor urine either. Beets, on the other hand, can change the color of pee. White pee is excess calcium being expelled.

If you continue to see pink or reddish tinged spots, you need to take the pig in question (after you figure out who's doing it) to the vet to make sure she does not have a URI.
I think Ly means UTI .. urinary tract infection.

Ly&Pigs
12-08-09, 01:54 pm
Yeah, I'm a bit off today, I meant UTI and I fixed my post to reflect that.

Suzq5542
12-17-09, 11:31 am
Ok, im gonna take the risk of sounding repetitive, but i noticed a orangy brown "liquid" on the carpet where my Lenny has floor time. I asked last week what it could possibly be (see above).
Brownish/orangy pee means pee that has oxidized due to the oxygen in the air hitting it Now is this just regular normal pee that this happens to? When he pees in his cage, ill quickly take a white paper towel and blot it to check its color. (obviously im not there every time he pees, but I do it about once a day when im cleaning the cage) Its ALWAYS a light yellow. Never has it been a different color. But my carpet is a different story. I just moved the couch to vacuum up the stray poos' and noticed brown spots. He hasnt been out of his cage since lastnight, so the spots are dry now. Now if he had a UTI, would it always be discolored (meaning pink or red) when he pees?? Ive never heard him whine or whimper or make any noises when hes pees. Also hes a boy, could that be his territory marking stuff? Is there such a thing? He rubs his butt on everything haha. So here are my questions:

1-Is there a difference in the orange/brown liquid and the pink/red? (i dont know if the pink/red dries to be the orange/brown of if its 2 different things)

2-Do males leave a visible "substance" behind when they mark there territory?

3-If they have a UTI will the pee be discolored every time they go?

Thanks in advance!

bpatters
12-17-09, 11:38 am
Are you sure the spots under the sofa haven't been there a while? If you don't clean pee spots immediately, they'll eventually darken the carpet. So if you missed some several days or weeks ago, what you're seeing now could be from then.

salana
12-17-09, 10:54 pm
The best way to see whether a pig is peeing visible blood is to hold them on a white towel until they pee on it, and immediately check the pee spot. Normal pee is clear to light yellow. Powdery white deposits are normal, but chunky or gritty deposits indicate sludge in the bladder. Blood can range from a pinkish tinge to what looks like red wine (obviously a lot of blood). Sometimes there will be clots of blood surrounded by a lighter pink or clear puddle. Remember, tiny amounts of blood can be invisible to the eye, so if a pig is having other signs of UTI or stone problems (squeaking when peeing) you can't rule it out based on blood that's not visible.