Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites skin problems

archemidies

Cavy Slave
hello everyone. My wife had a guinea pig when she was younger and when she went to the shelter she saw 2 and wanted to give them a nice home.
We live on an island off of alaska and the vet charges astronomical prices. anyhow they came with 2 4 squar feet cages and i recently ordered the cubes and can buy some correx in town to make a proper 2x4 cage with a 1x2 second floor. They are 2 years old and scratch constanly. i was petting their backs like you can do with cats that make them go crazy and it seemed to make them happy. while i was doing it though i noticed some rough skin under the fur and one of them has a balding spot. I have been reading through this forum and it seems like they probably have mites so i will order the ivermectin from amazon. should i also buy the fungul shampoo incase it isnt mites? Since they have lived in the small cage for thier lives when we take them out for floor time they just sit there. one of them does the whimpering sound and they just snuggle against each other. neither of them really moves around. Is this normal for just rescued cavies or do they normally get up and run around right away? I am hoping that once we get the new cage up these guys can have a happy life.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
A lot of scratching would indicate mites, no fungus. It's good that you will be treating for mites. They will need at least 3 treatments spaced about a week apart.

Congrats on your new additions.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It's normal for them to not like floor time at first. You can help them to enjoy it by providing lots of places to hide in (they're more likely to come out if there's a hiding spot nearby) and hiding veggies for them to find. Just be patient, and they will enjoy it more as time goes on.

Guinea Lynx should tell you everything you need to know about dosing and giving the Ivermectin if you haven't see those sites yet. I agree with skipping the fungal treatment.

Wednesday_12

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are also rescues, and they have never really enjoyed floor time much. They also get very scared of being out of their cages. I just try to make sure they have lots of room in their C&C cages for running around. When I take them out, I give them plenty of places to hide so that they feel less scared.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.