Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Crooked Nails

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Both my two pigs' front nails are very strange. Instead of growing straight out like their back feet, they curl sideways- not under the paw but to the side. The 3 inside nails curl to the outside, and the ouside nails curl to the inside. It doesn't appear to be painful but I am very scared of cutting their nails as they are difficult to reach. Is this normal?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I think that means they are By FAR too long!

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I've found some piggie feet are different than others. Guinea Lynx has some good comparisons.

https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html

The way their feet are may cause their nails to grow a little differently. I've found that a couple of my herd have difficult to clip nails on the outsides of their front paws, they like to tuck their toes inwards- I don't know if it's an all the time thing or just when I go to clip them. Boris' feet look far more claw-like than his brother's and his father's, though.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I have noticed this with piggies that I rescued that did not get their nails cut. Pierre's nails were horrendous as they had never been cut. They look much better now, but I'm still working on getting them down. Sebastian's nails were really bad too, they are better but his toes kind of curl, I think that is because they weren't kept short before.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Makes sense, as I recued them a month ago. Hopefully I'll be able to shorten them as the only results of nail-cutting has been bites along my arms!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
You just have to have a nice firm grip.

Heady

Cavy Slave
Both my two pigs' front nails are very strange. Instead of growing straight out like their back feet, they curl sideways- not under the paw but to the side. The 3 inside nails curl to the outside, and the ouside nails curl to the inside. It doesn't appear to be painful but I am very scared of cutting their nails as they are difficult to reach. Is this normal?

I was preparing to make a thread about just this, but decided to look and see if anyone else had this problem. I'm having issues (still) with Santino's feet, and they're similar to the way you're describing your pigs' feet.

When I first got him, his nails hadn't been trimmed in a LONG time and were very long and curly (to the point where his toes bent sideways when he walked). That was in September. The quick is down and all should be well, but, like yours, his back feet are normal, but his front nails curve immediately coming out of the toe. I know it's definitely not a case of them being too long, they're actually shorter than Barney's regular nails...I don't know if his lack of nail care could have caused a deformity or if he was born with strange nails. It makes it difficult to cut them because they shoot off in odd directions. They're thick and very short.

I figured I would mention it, because tonight was Animal Manicure Night (every 3 weeks pigs and cats get their nails trimmed). Barney's are completely normal...I just have problems with him holding still :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.