Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rats? Do they make good pets?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Well, I've heard Rats are highly intelligent and although my parents hate Rats, I'm thinking about owning maybe 1 or two(Depending on if they need to live in pairs). But I had a few questions:

1: Can Rats live in C&C cages, like comfortably?
2: Are they expensive like Chinchillas(Require daily baths, etc?)
3: What is the best brand of food to get them?(Like Oxbow or etc)
4: Do they make good pets?

Also, can you make Cuddly cups, hammocks, etc for Rats?

Last edited:

Heady

Cavy Slave
OHHH!! I miss my rats!

I think they make excellent pets. Yes, they are very intelligent, also social so more than one is recommended. They are actually very clean animals, so rarely need bathing, but they do like to play in water (especially "bobbing for peas").

I always bought Harlan Teklad lab blocks for mine and they loved it. I also gave them daily veggies and pastas. There is Suebee's rat diet that you can make yourself out of different cereals, pastas, oats, etc... Just google Suebee's rat diet and it will give you all the specifics.

I had 3 males and I kept them in a 5 foot bird cage. All the cages available at the time had too far apart wire spacing, and the cages that didn't were too small, in my opinion. I suppose it depends on the size of the rats, though. We had one runt out of the 3, but if we didn't have him, we probably could have gotten away with using a Ferret Nation cage or something like that once the rats reached maturity.

Males are bigger than females and tend to be more cuddly, although, again, it goes back to the individual personality of the animal. Males also have more of a musky smell to them than females. So, they can be stinky, depending on your version of stinky lol.

Rats LOVE cuddle cups, hammocks, tunnels, etc...

I think between the chinchillas and rats, my rats were more expensive than my chin in the long run.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
OHHH!! I miss my rats!

I think they make excellent pets. Yes, they are very intelligent, also social so more than one is recommended. They are actually very clean animals, so rarely need bathing, but they do like to play in water (especially "bobbing for peas").

I always bought Harlan Teklad lab blocks for mine and they loved it. I also gave them daily veggies and pastas. There is Suebee's rat diet that you can make yourself out of different cereals, pastas, oats, etc... Just google Suebee's rat diet and it will give you all the specifics.

I had 3 males and I kept them in a 5 foot bird cage. All the cages available at the time had too far apart wire spacing, and the cages that didn't were too small, in my opinion. I suppose it depends on the size of the rats, though. We had one runt out of the 3, but if we didn't have him, we probably could have gotten away with using a Ferret Nation cage or something like that once the rats reached maturity.

Males are bigger than females and tend to be more cuddly, although, again, it goes back to the individual personality of the animal. Males also have more of a musky smell to them than females. So, they can be stinky, depending on your version of stinky lol.

Rats LOVE cuddle cups, hammocks, tunnels, etc...

I think between the chinchillas and rats, my rats were more expensive than my chin in the long run.
If you lost your rats, I am very sorry. I can understand that except it was with a dog that had no back right leg. His name was Simba and because we gave him back the owners, they put him to sleep. Simba was so sweet too.

OK, got a little off topic. So Rats can eat just human food like cereal? WOW! Well, there's something I didn't know!

I was planning on getting a Ferret Nation cage for my two Chinchillas(Replace the plastic with wood). Get another Ferret nation cage and whala!
I would kind of rather have females but males would be perfectly fine too. Stink to me is probably 3-4 days after the Guinea Pig cage is due for cleaning. :important

But did you spoil your Rats? LOL! I like to spoil pets!

But anyway, Rats like the water? Usually animals don't like water(Rodents at least) but that's pretty cool. Is the concept for "Bobbing for Peas" just to plop some peas into water and let the rats go for the peas?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I loved my rat too.

But honestly until you're living on your own you should probably be content with the pets you have.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I used to have several rats but most have passed away now. I still have my old man Sam and trying to find some more boys to adopt. I love my rattie babies!

C&C's really don't make good rat cages as you'd have to either use mesh grids or wrap regular grids in fine hardware cloth. The spacing in regular grids is too large even for most adult males.

Rats, like any other pet, need high quality foods. I use both lab blocks (Harlan Teklad) and high quality dog food (on a rotating basis) and also use my own variation of Suebee's mix. I supplement with fresh and frozen veggies, occasional fruit and other foods like tuna, chicken, turkey, boiled egg, whole grain pastas and rice, and other stuff.

They often have health issues and that's the biggest expense. I recently spent over $250 for one of my guys who had an abscess or tumor and he ended up passing away during treatment after taking a sudden turn for the worse.

As far as bedding, you can do fleece and towels. My guys love hammocks, hanging tunnels, ground tunnels (pvc pipes make great tunnels), hanging tents, cuddle sacks, just about anything. I've taken old legs that were cut off of jeans and made them into sack type sleeping areas. Oatmeal containers, pringles cans, baskets and many other things can be turned into fun things for rats.

Ferret Nations make great rat cages. I have one. I can easily fit 4 adult males in one section. For young rats, you need to modify it with hardware cloth as they can escape.

Rats are best kept in pairs, trios or colonies. I'd have lots of rats if I could find more to adopt. I think they are more social than guinea pigs. Sam rides around on my shoulder through the house and he's very affectionate. I've found in my personal experiences that males are more outgoing and affectionate than females. I've had both and my girls were always a bit more skittish.

Last edited:

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I used to have several rats but most have passed away now. I still have my old man Sam and trying to find some more boys to adopt. I love my rattie babies!

C&C's really don't make good rat cages as you'd have to either use mesh grids or wrap regular grids in find hardware cloth. The spacing in regular grids is too large even for most adult males.

Rats, like any other pet, need high quality foods. I use both lab blocks (Harlan Teklad) and high quality dog food (on a rotating basis) and also use my own variation of Suebee's mix. I supplement with fresh and frozen veggies, occasional fruit and other foods like tuna, chicken, turkey, boiled egg, whole grain pastas and rice, and other stuff.

They often have health issues and that's the biggest expense. I recently spent over $250 for one of my guys who had an abscess or tumor and he ended up passing away during treatment after taking a sudden turn for the worse.

As far as bedding, you can do fleece and towels. My guys love hammocks, hanging tunnels, ground tunnels (pvc pipes make great tunnels), hanging tents, cuddle sacks, just about anything. I've taken old legs that were cut off of jeans and made them into sack type sleeping areas. Oatmeal containers, pringles cans, baskets and many other things can be turned into fun things for rats.

Ferret Nations make great rat cages. I have one. I can easily fit 4 adult males in one section. For young rats, you need to modify it with hardware cloth as they can escape.

Rats are best kept in pairs, trios or colonies. I'd have lots of rats if I could find more to adopt. I think they are more social than guinea pigs. Sam rides around on my shoulder through the house and he's very affectionate. I've found in my personal experiences that males are more outgoing and affectionate than females. I've had both and my girls were always a bit more skittish.
I do agree on living on my own with JD, I will have Rats when I am on my own because personally, my mom hates Rats(She doesn't like their tails, personally, I don't really get that) but I think they are intelligent and very kind. Would it be easier to get a neutered male and female instead? Or just two males? What are your best recommendations for a first time rat owner?

Heady

Cavy Slave
Well, I actually had to rehome my rats. But they went to a terrific family, and my boys were added to their already existing family of 7. The husband has awful allergies so it's always touch and go with him and pets. Thankfully we seem to now have a combination that doesn't require nebulizer treatments every day!

That is SO sad about Simba :( My in-laws had a dog named Simba that I don't even want to get into. It was bad, and quite similar.

Well, they can eat human food, but you want to make sure you cover all the percentages of nutrients and proteins that are listed in the Suebee diet. I found it easier to use the lab blocks I mentioned, in addition to a variety of things listed in the SB diet.

I think a Ferret Nation would be great for both! If you adopt young rats, you may want to start with a cage that has smaller bar spacing, and eventually move up to the Ferret Nation. Recently I found a terrific exotic pet cage that was rather large and had perfect bar spacing for rats, but I'm not sure how many can be housed in it. It's on the large size for that sort of cage...around $100 I think.

Since I only had boys, I can't tell you from experience, but I've read that females have a much softer and smoother coat than males. I'm trying to remember what I was told their smell was like...I keep thinking sweet, but I might be wrong... The husband thought the boys stunk immediately after I cleaned their cage, but I thought it started to stink after a few days!

Oh, yes! They were spoiled. And they knew it! Just like the piggies and the cats!! :melodrama I have them for the sole purpose of spoiling them lol!

Yeah, my boys liked to play in water. I took a glass pyrex cake pan, filled it halfway with water, put some river rocks in it, as well as peas...stuck it in the bathtub and they liked to run from one end of the tub to the other, making sure to splash through the water. They liked to move the rocks around to get the peas and my fattest boy, Man Ray, would eventually just lay down in the water and chill.

They also LOVED climbing ropes! I put a variety of bird toys in their cage, and that was one of their favorites. Ropes, ladders, bells, etc...

Heady

Cavy Slave
What are your best recommendations for a first time rat owner?

When I had mine, I got all 3 males at once. Same ages, so they grew together.

Still wish I could have them back!!!!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Well, they can eat human food, but you want to make sure you cover all the percentages of nutrients and proteins that are listed in the Suebee diet. I found it easier to use the lab blocks I mentioned, in addition to a variety of things listed in the SB diet.
So like Walmart brand of Cherrios? LOL. My best friend's parents only buy like save-a-lot brands of cereal with NO SUGAR! It was nuts, I tell you.

I think a Ferret Nation would be great for both! If you adopt young rats, you may want to start with a cage that has smaller bar spacing, and eventually move up to the Ferret Nation. Recently I found a terrific exotic pet cage that was rather large and had perfect bar spacing for rats, but I'm not sure how many can be housed in it. It's on the large size for that sort of cage...around $100 I think.
OK. Thanks for the info!

Heady

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, I think Walmart brand of cheerios is fine (I am positively mad for Walmart's brand of Raisin Bran...I LOVE IT!)! Also, you can use puffed rice and flakes, like Total. LOTS of things you can use :) Dog food, like Ly mentioned is another one---great source of protein. Plus, Harlan Teklad lab blocks aren't all that expensive. I ordered mine from The Rat Shop. Good prices and speedy shipping.

Mine LOVED getting hard boiled eggs, as well. They would eat a straight hole right into the egg so deep that their head would disappear into the egg and reappear covered in pieces. It was TOO cute!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, I think Walmart brand of cheerios is fine (I am positively mad for Walmart's brand of Raisin Bran...I LOVE IT!)! Also, you can use puffed rice and flakes, like Total. LOTS of things you can use :) Dog food, like Ly mentioned is another one---great source of protein. Plus, Harlan Teklad lab blocks aren't all that expensive. I ordered mine from The Rat Shop. Good prices and speedy shipping.

Mine LOVED getting hard boiled eggs, as well. They would eat a straight hole right into the egg so deep that their head would disappear into the egg and reappear covered in pieces. It was TOO cute!
Sounds adorable! Sheesh, people are going to see me buying Cherrios and Total and all that type of stuff at Walmart and ask "You eat all this?" and then I'll reply "Nope. My Ratties do.":crazy:

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
So what kind of toys would you recommend for a rat? On Petsmart.com(Yes I looked on there), they had wheels and round-about-balls. Are they safe for Rats?

Heady

Cavy Slave
Sounds adorable! Sheesh, people are going to see me buying Cherrios and Total and all that type of stuff at Walmart and ask "You eat all this?" and then I'll reply "Nope. My Ratties do.":crazy:

Hahaha! Just tell them you're being healthy :)

So what kind of toys would you recommend for a rat? On Petsmart.com(Yes I looked on there), they had wheels and round-about-balls. Are they safe for Rats?

Well...I think boxes, bird toys, balls, chewing sticks, tunnels, etc... made good toys. I never used run around balls...I don't like them even for hamsters. As far as wheels, I think a wodent wheel would be okay since it's solid. Just make sure you get the largest one. My concern with any wheel, though, would be their tails. Since I never used those for my rats, someone else may be able to help you out with that one.

You know, there was a toy octopus I got my boys and they LOVED it. It was red and had four "arms" that were actually tunnels and the inside was like a giant cozie...plush and everything. You might be able to find it in ferret toys because that's what it was for. So much fun!!!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Hahaha! Just tell them you're being healthy :)

Well...I think boxes, bird toys, balls, chewing sticks, tunnels, etc... made good toys. I never used run around balls...I don't like them even for hamsters. As far as wheels, I think a wodent wheel would be okay since it's solid. Just make sure you get the largest one. My concern with any wheel, though, would be their tails. Since I never used those for my rats, someone else may be able to help you out with that one.

You know, there was a toy octopus I got my boys and they LOVED it. It was red and had four "arms" that were actually tunnels and the inside was like a giant cozie...plush and everything. You might be able to find it in ferret toys because that's what it was for. So much fun!!!
I will ask Ly.
Boxes as in just Cardboard?
So just making a quick list of toys:

• Boxes
  • Bird toys
  • Tunnels
  • Chewing Sticks
  • Balls
  • Toy octopus.

Yes I have actually seen that octopus and wanted to get it for Guinea pigs but too expensive for just one(its when I just had Sandy).
I was just thinking wheels that were larger(I might get Dumbo Rats. I know they have smaller rats too). But still not for sure. If I do get a male and female I will probably neuter the male for the best of them so I can have one of each. Do you think that's a good idea?

Heady

Cavy Slave
Yep, boxes as in cardboard. Just keep it safe, as you would with piggies...just plain brown, no ink, etc.. Remember that rats are excellent shredders, so even regular paper, paper towels, paper towel rolls, tp rolls, etc... would be fun for them! Also, hard shelled nuts are fun for them too (like the kind you find on bird toys). Chew sticks---make sure they're safe woods, like apple and such.

Yeah, the octopus was nearly $30, but it was worth it in the end :) It brought so much joy to them!

I don't think Dumbos are too, too much bigger than the average fancy rat. There is a size difference (and ears, of course), but I don't think it's extreme. I'm still not sure about the wheel though.

Personally, dumbos are my favorite!!!!

I think that shelters automatically neuter males, but I could be assuming too much. It's possible to keep a neutered male with intact female...neutering the male should also lessen aggressive behaviors.

You could always go to the shelter and adopt a same sex pair, and after a while, if you find yourself in love, you can adopt another same sex pair...just a different sex than your current and house them in different cages. That way you can have both without having to worry about babies.

As with other animals, I believe neutering a male rat is relatively simple compared to spaying a female.

I would really call around to your local shelters and rescues and see if they have a "fixed" male/female pair for adoption.

***EDIT*** This was my Rattie Bible. Very informative site and they have excellent ideas for toys, health, etc... Plus, adorable pictures! The Dapper Rat

rdoyle

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
1: Can Rats live in C&C cages, like comfortably? There are C&C Cages out there for rats the like moutily layers homes
2: Are they expensive like Chinchillas(Require daily baths, etc?)Dont need baths
3: What is the best brand of food to get them?(Like Oxbow or etc)Yes that is good
4: Do they make good pets?GReat They need toys you can have piggys toys, Fearet toys rabbit toys ect. They are smart very smart. I like the nakies ones. I know ppl who have trained to do tricks like a dog. They are alsome pets i was going to get one but hubby said NO RATS OR SNAKES. poop on him LOL I love all animals

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Rats are great pets. Just to add Martin Cages make great rat cages. Also (broken link removed) is a great site for info on rat care.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Yep, boxes as in cardboard. Just keep it safe, as you would with piggies...just plain brown, no ink, etc.. Remember that rats are excellent shredders, so even regular paper, paper towels, paper towel rolls, tp rolls, etc... would be fun for them! Also, hard shelled nuts are fun for them too (like the kind you find on bird toys). Chew sticks---make sure they're safe woods, like apple and such.

Yeah, the octopus was nearly $30, but it was worth it in the end :) It brought so much joy to them!

I don't think Dumbos are too, too much bigger than the average fancy rat. There is a size difference (and ears, of course), but I don't think it's extreme. I'm still not sure about the wheel though.

Personally, dumbos are my favorite!!!!

I think that shelters automatically neuter males, but I could be assuming too much. It's possible to keep a neutered male with intact female...neutering the male should also lessen aggressive behaviors.

You could always go to the shelter and adopt a same sex pair, and after a while, if you find yourself in love, you can adopt another same sex pair...just a different sex than your current and house them in different cages. That way you can have both without having to worry about babies.

As with other animals, I believe neutering a male rat is relatively simple compared to spaying a female.

I would really call around to your local shelters and rescues and see if they have a "fixed" male/female pair for adoption.

***EDIT*** This was my Rattie Bible. Very informative site and they have excellent ideas for toys, health, etc... Plus, adorable pictures! The Dapper Rat
I know other rats are smaller but which would you recommend for a first time rat owner? I mean, I really like Dumbo rats better. I think they are cuter.

Well, I'll have to wait for the male/female pair. After college(Not there yet but soon), I'll be moving to Colorado(Where the college is). They have a piggie rescue there. Haven't checked for Ferret/Rat/Hedgie/Chinchilla/Rabbit/bird rescue(Not all of them in one but you get what I mean) in Colorado. Better research that.

*****Edit****I found rescues for ALL of them! There's a rescue that has Hedgehogs and Chinchillas and Ferrets. There's a Ferret Rescue. A Bird Rescue. A Rabbit Rescue and a Rat Rescue. And rescue for dogs and cats. All in the comfort of Colorado.

Last edited:

Heady

Cavy Slave
Rats are great pets. Just to add Martin Cages make great rat cages. Also (broken link removed) is a great site for info on rat care.

I COMPLETELY forgot about Martin's Cages!!! Yes, they make terrific cages for rats that are already built. When I had my boys and I was looking at Martin's Cages, the plus side is that they don't have wire flooring, but the only thing I didn't like is the bedding pan wasn't very deep. May be different now, though. Definitely look into them!

I know other rats are smaller but which would you recommend for a first time rat owner? I mean, I really like Dumbo rats better. I think they are cuter.

Well, I'll have to wait for the male/female pair. After college(Not there yet but soon), I'll be moving to Colorado(Where the college is). They have a piggie rescue there. Haven't checked for Ferret/Rat/Hedgie/Chinchilla/Rabbit/bird rescue(Not all of them in one but you get what I mean) in Colorado. Better research that.

*****Edit****I found rescues for ALL of them! There's a rescue that has Hedgehogs and Chinchillas and Ferrets. There's a Ferret Rescue. A Bird Rescue. A Rabbit Rescue and a Rat Rescue. And rescue for dogs and cats. All in the comfort of Colorado.

Personally, I think either would be fine for first time. If you prefer the Dumbo ones, then get those! :)

That is awesome that you were able to find rescues for all of them!!! Terrific!

Just a word of advice, and I'm not saying it based on anything you've said...just more of a thought that anything. Remember not to get in over your head with animals. I don't think that's your plan and I'm assuming you're asking about all these different ones to figure out which ones you want to get, not all of them. But, I figured I'd mention it anyway! I did that once, and didn't realize what I was doing. Thankfully it didn't turn out to be a horror story in the end, but I did feel pretty bad about it.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I COMPLETELY forgot about Martin's Cages!!! Yes, they make terrific cages for rats that are already built. When I had my boys and I was looking at Martin's Cages, the plus side is that they don't have wire flooring, but the only thing I didn't like is the bedding pan wasn't very deep. May be different now, though. Definitely look into them!

Personally, I think either would be fine for first time. If you prefer the Dumbo ones, then get those! :)

That is awesome that you were able to find rescues for all of them!!! Terrific!

Just a word of advice, and I'm not saying it based on anything you've said...just more of a thought that anything. Remember not to get in over your head with animals. I don't think that's your plan and I'm assuming you're asking about all these different ones to figure out which ones you want to get, not all of them. But, I figured I'd mention it anyway! I did that once, and didn't realize what I was doing. Thankfully it didn't turn out to be a horror story in the end, but I did feel pretty bad about it.
I wouldn't get all the animals at once.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.