Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay info

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I am a new piggy owner. I've gotten so much info from this site, thank you to everyone! I have a quick question about hay... I buy Oxbow Timothy hay from my local pet store. They do NOT sell animals and are extremely supportive of rescuing/adopting, so I want to support them in any way possible, including buying all of my supplies and food there. It seems to be good quality hay; it's green and pretty soft and smells nice. My question is, how do I store it? It comes in a plastic bag, which I thought may not be the best option, but I have no clue.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
People who order hay often dump it in the box it came in. Some leave in the bag open. Some keep it in a rubbermaid type container. Hay needs to be able to breathe some especially really green hay or it might mold. Also keep it out of sunlight as much as possible or it will breakdown and turn brown. It depends on how humid it is there as to what works for you. I keep mine in the boxes out in my stable with my horses hay. I have a plastic zippable bag that holds about 2-3days worth so it doesn't have time to mold in there and it doesn't get scattered all over the house and room bringing it in or feeding it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.