Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Question about moving second floor to the bottom?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
If you guys remember, the cage has a second floor for the eating area. Now that I've thought about it, I think it would be best to move the 2nd floor down. The 2nd floor is giving them so much advantage to hide from me. They already have an igloo to hide in. But I feel like they need more space to run instead of going up and down the ramp.

My question is:
Would moving the 2nd floor down give them more advantage to see me more and be able to get used to me better? Or make them more scared?

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I had a similar problem when I first adopted Tahiri, Kimi, and Leonidas.

I had a second floor, but they never went up there and would spend all their time under the ramp, even though they had other hideys to run through. I ended up demolishing the second floor and rearranging their kitchen space so that they had more space to run, now they explore much more and seem less skittish. I think it was a good move overall, no one missed the second story one bit.

So my recommendation to you would be to go for it, get rid of that 2nd story.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Are you talking about expanding a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft to a 2x4 with no loft? Or just dispensing with the loft and leaving them a 2x3ish cage? Or what?

And pigs having ample places to hide is decidedly not a bad thing - I wouldn't take it away from them because it's giving them a place to hide from you. They're prey animals, they need places to hide to feel safe. This is very important to their happiness and well being.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I had a similar problem when I first adopted Tahiri, Kimi, and Leonidas.

I had a second floor, but they never went up there and would spend all their time under the ramp, even though they had other hideys to run through. I ended up demolishing the second floor and rearranging their kitchen space so that they had more space to run, now they explore much more and seem less skittish. I think it was a good move overall, no one missed the second story one bit.

So my recommendation to you would be to go for it, get rid of that 2nd story.
Thank you. I mean, they go up there but sometimes, if you go near the ramp while their on of it, they jump off it.
And then they of course hide underneath the part of the 2nd story that hangs out and so on.

So do you have girls or guys?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about expanding a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft to a 2x4 with no loft? Or just dispensing with the loft and leaving them a 2x3ish cage? Or what?

And pigs having ample places to hide is decidedly not a bad thing - I wouldn't take it away from them because it's giving them a place to hide from you. They're prey animals, they need places to hide to feel safe. This is very important to their happiness and well being.

Removing the loft and moving it down to the first floor to make a 2x3 cage.

Oh and I know that. They have an igloo that they love to hide together in.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
They should have no less than a 2x3 whether or not they have an upper floor, and they should each have at least one hidey. But you have to know this by now. You certainly have been told that having less than a 2x3 is inadequate.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
There's no reason to keep a loft if they aren't using it, I agree with that, and it's probably better to remove the space the ramp is taking up since the cage is small anyway. But I wouldn't advise removing hiding spaces just so you can see more of them.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I mean, they go up there but sometimes, if you go near the ramp while their on of it, they jump off it.
And then they of course hide underneath the part of the 2nd story that hangs out and so on.

So do you have girls or guys?

Tahiri and Kimi are sows, Leonidas is an altered boar. They get along swimmingly.

But I second what Paula said- make sure that they have enough hideys without the second story to hide under. When I changed things up, I made a hay rack hidey and added a towel tent. Now they have a fleece tent, two run throughable hideys, and a giant hay rack hidey for the three of them, as well as a hat cozy. I apologize for the crummy quality- I took the photo at night and before I refilled their hayrack.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Tahiri and Kimi are sows, Leonidas is an altered boar. They get along swimmingly.

But I second what Paula said- make sure that they have enough hideys without the second story to hide under. When I changed things up, I made a hay rack hidey and added a towel tent. Now they have a fleece tent, two run throughable hideys, and a giant hay rack hidey for the three of them, as well as a hat cozy. I apologize for the crummy quality- I took the photo at night and before I refilled their hayrack.
Nice Guitar hero ramp ;)!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.