Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HELP with my piggy

L

Ldap6969

HELP with my piggy

I have 3 questions/concerns:

1. Why does my piggy hate fruit? He will only eat parsley tops, romaine w/o the middle of the leaf, and sometimes carrots?

2. Why does my piggy eat his bedding or eat the paperball I give to him to play with?

3. What does it mean when my piggy hops around in his cage and squeaks like he's crazy?

Thanx :)

R

roozy

Every Piggie is different

We've tried all kinds of fruit and veggies. Ours really like most, but don't like citrus fruits. Apples and pears are their favorite fruits. Leafy lettuces, tomatoes, carrots, spinach leaves and more are on their list of veggies. I just tried yams, and they love them.

I keep a good layer of hay on top of the bedding. They eat it too, but they do stay away from their pee areas. They hay keeps the bedding in place as they run.

Not sure about the popcorning yet. My two tend to do it after they've had their Vit C supplement. They wheek anytime they think food is on the way.

R

roozy

pellets

Make sure they get their recommended feedings of a good quality pellet food. I use Oxbow Cavy Products. 10lb bag is about $8 and lasts 3 months. And a 200 count vitC supplement jar is about $12. Shipping extra, but no sales tax since I order online.

Expecting 25lbs of Timothy Hay and a bag of food today.

B

Briana D

Re: HELP with my piggy

1. You shouldn't focus on fruit too much since it is high in sugar. Focus on leafy greens like romaine, red/green leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, red chard, cilantro, endive, escarole etc. The darker the leafy green the better for vitamin c. the key is variety. Feed him a wide variety of different greens and you'll be able to see what he likes and what he doesn't.

2. I noticed my pigs nibble on their bedding shortly after it is freshly changed. Does your pig have hay to eat 24 hours a day? Hay is very important and may get your pig to stop eating it's bedding.

3. Your pig hopping crazily is him pop-corning. He is just happy and letting you know it.

Also, Roozy recommended a very good guinea pig feed. I feed all my pigs Oxbow because it has stable vitamin C which is essential to pigs.

Attachments

IMG_0211.jpg IMG_0213.jpg
D

Deandraspigs

If you can't afford Oxbow products I suggest Kaytee Forti-Diet, it's very good and has a nice supply of Vitamin C in it, my piggies love it!:)

R

roozy

Oxbow pricy??

Do you think that the Oxbow is expensive. My costs for food, hay and VitC supplements are about $50 (including shipping) for 3 to 4 months worth. That's for 2 cavies.

Another $6 per month (at a local ranch store) for my bedding base (kiln dried pine). And the cost of fresh veggies (haven't added that up yet).

D

Deandraspigs

Re: Oxbow pricy??

I have three cavies and 2 horses ( VERY expensive creatures to have ), and 3 dogs. No we cannot afford Oxbow products and many people I have chatted with can't either.

Attachments

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341277143.744274.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342400386.928408.jpg GP cage.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342400842.966601.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342408576.190373.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342400220.998394.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342400253.889820.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343581811.953055.jpg

2steps

1) my piggies prefer veg to fruit. They like apples, melon with the majority of the flesh removed and satsumas and that`s it really (gave them kiwi which is very high in vit c and they only ate the skin) but they eat loads of different vegtables.

2) My pigs eat the hay I use for bedding as well as what`s in the hay rack. They also eat the paper type bedding material ( which is made from cellulose, so safe) and sometimes nibble on a paper bag I`ve given them or the newspaper lining the bottom of the cage. one does it more than the others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.