PDA

View Full Version : Just Delivered Help please

LucynRickysmom
12-01-09, 12:03 am
We adopted two new pigs a little over two months ago( Sept. 17th) and was told that the female might be pregnant we took them anyway cause the situation they were in was not a good one. We noticed Lucy getting bigger but nothing ever happened but figured it was because we were feeding her veggies every day which is something we found out the previous owners never did. We love these beautiful piggies so much/ anyway Lucy gave birth this evening which also happens to be my husbands birthday. I am so freaked out. She had two pups but one didn't make it. He/She looked under developed and we left it in there for a minute thinking it would come around but after 10 min. never did but the first one was fine and moving around so we removed the other up and tried the holding it and spinning around which we read can free the airway~ nothing~ so I have been crying! Here are some questions I hope I can get help with and I am also open to suggestions I am new at this. I didnt realize she had given birth until i hear noses and came running downstairs and noticed the first little one in there
#1 we removed Ricky( daddy) and placed him in a cage next to Lucy and the living pup was that the right thing to do?
#2 was removing the underdeveloped pup the right thing to do so early or should I have actually done it sooner or was what I did right?
#3 when will she begin nursing
#4 when can I put Ricky (daddy) back in with pup and Lucy ( Mommy)
#5 when should I clean out the cage ( i usually do this weekly and their cage is due for a clean out Wednesday)
#6 when will the pup eat food
#7 will and does she remember the baby we removed and can she get post partum depression?
# 8 what can I do to insure she stays healthy and the pup stay healthy?
# 9 if its a boy we will put it in a cage with Ricky is that ok?
#10 If a girl we will keep it with Lucy will he get lonely?
#11 What is the best way to ahndle this situation and insure all my piggies are happy and healthy,.
#12 when can the piggie be held?
I feel terrible that she lost the little piggy:weepy: and I have been crying for 40 minutes now when can I hold her? and tell he how proud of her I am :tearsofjoand How much I love her and how good of a job she did?:heart:
PLEASE HELP

rabbitsncavyluv
12-01-09, 12:09 am
Is Ricky neutered? If he is not, you should never put him back in with mom. You'll be a lot sadder if you lose her while giving birth next time.
Breeding Guinea Pigs (http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm)

You can hold the baby now to socialize them and clean the cage as usual. If the baby is a boy, you need to remove him at 21 days. You can put him in with Dad.

If you did not remove the dad before she gave birth, she is likely pregnant again. Backbreeding is really bad for sows.

Ly&Pigs
12-01-09, 12:13 am
1. Yes, absolutely. But make sure he cannot get to her as he will get her pregnant again.
2. Probably sooner, but you did remove it shortly after birth.
3. She should start nursing soon after giving birth.
4. Never, unless you get him neutered.
5. Anytime is fine.
6. Within 1-2 days.
7. In my experience, no and no.
8. Proper housing, proper diet and lots of love.
9. Absolutely. If the pup is male, separate at exactly 21 days.
10. If he's in an adjoining cage and can't get to her, he will be fine.
11. Read this site thoroughly, especially the Diet and Nutrition forum.
12. Now if you'd like.

Rnd210
12-01-09, 12:18 am
If the dad is nuetered he can stay with mommy and baby. You can handle the baby right away. Lucy should let the baby nurse when it is ready, You may not see the baby nursing much as the baby will probably start eating pellets, hay and veggies soon. If the dad is not nuetored and you don't more babies then you shouldn't put him back in with mommy. You can clean the cage right away. Make sure you give mom and baby plenty of hay, pellets and fresh veggies with calcium and plenty of vit C and make sure mom continues to eat.

AmandaErlandson
12-01-09, 12:29 am
Are you trying to breed them? I don't understand why dad was in the cage to begin with. What if she wasn't pregnant when you got her, but you put her with him & that got her pregnant. What if she miscarried at some point but since you left her with a male she got pregnant right away? Pregnancy can be dangerous but back to back pregnancies hold significant dangers. Please, please, please don't breed your pigs! This site is loaded with info on why. Take a few minutes and look around.
Also, I'm not exactly where to find this, I'm sure someone will chime in with a link, but there are rules about posting on this forum if you are a breeder. There are only certain things you may post about. And I am pretty sure you can't annouce births or post pics. Anyways- I hope (really, really do) that you are not breeding. And that if you are you will stop!

I wish you the best of luck with you new baby cavy. Have dad nutered (and baby too if it's a boy) and make them one big happy family!

AmandaErlandson
12-01-09, 12:32 am
Also... about cleaning the cage. She needs to eat her placenta (probably spelled way wrong) so I would make she she does that before you clean it up & throw it away.

rabbitsncavyluv
12-01-09, 12:40 am
Gestation is 59 days to 73 days. It sounds like she got pregnant while in your care. And the sows go into heat immediately after giving birth. If you missed it, he could have gotten her pregnant again, just fyi.

In the small chance she is not, please do not leave them together even if you think you are "supervising". They can mate in seconds. Make sure your cage is baby proof and the dad cannot break into the sows' cage.

Some sows won't eat all the placenta or any of it. It is supposed to help them trigger the milk but sometimes it isn't necessary. With my pregnant foster sows, I just clean it up anyway for them. It is usually gone the next morning but sometimes not if the sows are young/ inexperienced.

LucynRickysmom
12-01-09, 01:47 am
to rabbitsncayluv. He is not neutured. she was making noise when we heard her and came down to find the birthing of the second one so I am ABSOLUTELY positive he did not backbreed. or breed her again!

Ly&Pigs thank you for everything and your response!

TO Amanda Erlandson NO I am not trying to breed. What would make you think that? and what would make you think I was a breeder all the freaked out questions I was asking. I mean wouldn't that make you think or at least give you some sort of inclination that I am new to all of this I mean REALLY! I talked to the previous owner about a hour ago and found out what she failed to tell me when we adopted the piggies that they have breed before. She has mated them they are mates ( whatever that means) and that I got them September 27 in the pm which was 64 days ago and that shes pretty sure that she was prego when I got her! and I would love to be able to get Ricky neutuered would you be willing to foot the bill? I hear its pretty expensive and finding a vet that is cavy savvy is hard. I live in a town of 3,000 we have one vet and I wouldn't trust a flea with him! I am not trying to sound hasty but thats the way you sort of sounded in your response I was asking for help cause I was feeling bad any way~! Not that anything I did was wrong but I have read a lot of things about pigs and I am new to all of this!
Oh and Ricky is in another cage next to her where he can she both her and the baby but hes not too close and he was freaking out like chewing on the cage so I put his cage on top of the other one Lucy and baby are in and Now hes squeaking and whistling like crazy! any ideas.. is moving him out of the same room gonna be traumatic for him from what I gather from previous owner they have always been close!

Milkingit
12-01-09, 02:32 am
Is he still chewing the cage bars now that he is on top? Or just making noises?

If he is just making noises, its because he figures he's lost them and is calling out, he will settle down eventually.

When you find out the sex of the baby, you will be able to decide if you want to adopt another male, or a female so you would have 2 pairs.

I believe I read above that you don't have a C&C cage yet, just an FYI if you decide you do want one with the boys, you will want to put a top on it, boys will actually climb out of the cage to get with a female in heat.

I understand being in a small town, and not having a trustworthy vet, their are risks to neutering because of the anesthetic and post op infections that could result. If possible to maybe travel to a larger centre at some point that has a cavy savvy vet?

Guinealynx.com is an excellent site to search for vet recommendations, and medical care guides. If not, like I said above you can always get a new friend for who ever is lonely.

One other thing to mention is their have been cases from people on the forum where a bonded male pair, when moved into the same room as a bonded female pair started to fight more. It is something to possibly consider.

Good luck with your new baby.

LucynRickysmom
12-01-09, 02:41 am
thank you milkingit! I think we are going to go with the C&C cages we have been looking a lot on this site and have found come great options. I agree about pairing and thats a great idea. if it is a boy! Will Ricky fight with the pup when hes old enough to be taken from Mom? and if we do that we will just put the boys else where and then get a SISTER for Lucy. But if its a girl and Mom and daughter stay together how do I find a good brother for Ricky?

Ly&Pigs
12-01-09, 02:53 am
but there are rules about posting on this forum if you are a breeder. There are only certain things you may post about. And I am pretty sure you can't annouce births or post pics.Off topic for a moment. To Everyone: Yes there are, but it's not the members job to inform other members about the rules or to post links to the rules, please leave the moderating to us moderators. If someone happens to be a breeder, we mods will inform them of our Breeder/Shower Policy. Thanks.

Please people, never just assume anything and wait until you get the facts before going off on breeding spiels. Just ask them first and leave it at that until they respond.

LucynRickysmom- If the pup turns out to be female, instead of finding another pig as a friend for him, why not just have him neutered and let him live with Lucy and her pup. Edit: Saw in your post above where you said you don't have a cavy savvy vet in your town. You can check nearby larger towns for a vet though. I live in a town just slightly larger than yours (only by around 500) and my vet is a little over an hour away in another town.

Milkingit
12-01-09, 02:57 am
There is always going to be a bit of a dominance fight. As long as their is no blood or denial of food/water, do not separate.

As for finding a new brother or sister, depending on the sex of the baby you have a few options. Now, assuming the town you have listed in your profile is your actual town here are some options. (I'm from Northern Ontario, so I don't know your specific geographical area)

There is a humane society with guinea pigs in Davenport, IA, which is 2 1/2 hours from you according to Google maps.

You can look on the websites Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) or the one my SPCA (Society for the Prevention to Cruelty against Animals) uses is Petango.com Online Pet Adoption & More. Welcome a homeless pet into your home! (http://www.petango.com), I searched on it your zipcode and found 2 piggies, one male, one female at the Quincy Humane Society.

GizzyandMe
12-01-09, 04:35 am
Firstly - Congratulations on the new pup - any name yet or are you still waiting to sex the pup.

Secondly - I am very sorry for your loss - I think you are carrying all the Post Partum on you.

Thirdly - Good job on asking the questions and I for one am happy that Ly&Pigs was here to answer your questions.

Lastly - My vet is also and hour and a half away as I beat you out with having only 119 people in total living in the town I now live in. So I will get Ricky snipped and if the new baby is a male have him snipped as well then the family can all live happily together forever.

blackarrow
12-01-09, 06:23 am
Amanda and GizzyandMe, just an FYI, you can't put two males, even neutered ones, in a cage with a single female - they will fight. The boys can be companions without being neutered if they are not let in with the mom pig - it would be nice to get mom a companion too in that case. If the baby's a girl, they can of course be one big happy family after dad gets neutered.

AmandaErlandson
12-01-09, 09:35 am
Look I am not sure if you were trying to breed or not... that is why I asked... "Are you trying to breed them?" I just could not (and really still don't) understand why you had male & female together because a breeder (the lady you got them from) said that she MIGHT be pregnant. If she was pregnant when you got her, she was just a few days pregnant and no one (other than a vet) could have told you for sure. And the fact still remains that you had her for 64 days when she gave birth and gestational period for pigs is 59 - 72 days. Therefore it is still quite possible you bred them! My point was not to condemn you... you have actually been a cavy mom longer than me. (I got my 1st pig on Oct 13th) And I made a very similar mistake. I put a mis-sexed male in with a female. Then when I discovered my mistake I assumed she was already pregnant and left them together. It wasn't until I brought my problem here that I learned of my mistake & quickly fixed it. I wanted to share the same info with you that I just learned not to long ago. I did not mean to sound harshly. I was just trying to let you know the seriousness of choosing to breed if that was what you were trying to do. To me your questions sounded like someone who had choose to breed for babies (maybe just one time) then got freaked out when one of them died. Which, by the way, I am very sorry for your loss. I am very sorry that I misinterpreted your original post.

To Ly: Sorry I was giving her the rules of the site. I honestly did not know I was not allowed to do that. I won't do it again.

fieryone
12-01-09, 10:23 am
I would love to be able to get Ricky neutuered would you be willing to foot the bill? I hear its pretty expensive and finding a vet that is cavy savvy is hard.

Getting my male neutered cost $110 and I live in Connecticut where things are generally on the higher end of the cost spectrum. It's really not a very expensive procedure. Finding a qualified vet to it is the hardest part but we would be more than happy to help you find a qualified cavy vet in your area. You should have one lined up before you need one anyway in case one of your pigs gets sick.

Here is a list of some recommended cavy vets in Illinois. These aren't the only vets so if one of these isn't near you then someone may be able to recommend another

http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_Illinois

rabbitsncavyluv
12-02-09, 01:49 am
I think people were confused because you were housing an intact male guinea pig with an intact female guinea pig.

Even if you were sure she was pregnant, they should have been separated. In your first post you said you got them on the 11th, now it is the 17th?

Again, gestation is 59 to 73 days. She could have just gotten pregnant when you got her or she could have gotten pregnant in your care if you say you got her 64 days ago.

to rabbitsncayluv. He is not neutured. she was making noise when we heard her and came down to find the birthing of the second one so I am ABSOLUTELY positive he did not backbreed. or breed her again!

Ly&Pigs thank you for everything and your response!

TO Amanda Erlandson NO I am not trying to breed. What would make you think that? and what would make you think I was a breeder all the freaked out questions I was asking. I mean wouldn't that make you think or at least give you some sort of inclination that I am new to all of this I mean REALLY! I talked to the previous owner about a hour ago and found out what she failed to tell me when we adopted the piggies that they have breed before. She has mated them they are mates ( whatever that means) and that I got them September 27 in the pm which was 64 days ago and that shes pretty sure that she was prego when I got her! and I would love to be able to get Ricky neutuered would you be willing to foot the bill? I hear its pretty expensive and finding a vet that is cavy savvy is hard. I live in a town of 3,000 we have one vet and I wouldn't trust a flea with him! I am not trying to sound hasty but thats the way you sort of sounded in your response I was asking for help cause I was feeling bad any way~! Not that anything I did was wrong but I have read a lot of things about pigs and I am new to all of this!
Oh and Ricky is in another cage next to her where he can she both her and the baby but hes not too close and he was freaking out like chewing on the cage so I put his cage on top of the other one Lucy and baby are in and Now hes squeaking and whistling like crazy! any ideas.. is moving him out of the same room gonna be traumatic for him from what I gather from previous owner they have always been close!

LucynRickysmom
12-04-09, 10:06 pm
I just wanted to let everyone know the update. I want to Thank everyone for ALL replies! First of all I thought we got them on the 17th and when I talked to the previous owner she stated that in fac it was the evening of the 27th. Second of all when we got them she stated she was pretty sure that Lucy was already pregnant but if she did in face get pregnant under my care I understand that it was my fault and I feel guilty about that. But I did not know any better and I know that's not and excuse but its the truth. I have read LOTS of things since then and gotten pretty good at trying to figure out the best way possible to keep these little guys happy and healthy. We have named the little one. We have checked 3 times and it is in deed a GIRL! here name is Rosey Roo. Shes beautiful and healthy and is eating veggies and pellets and we couldn't be happier. I wish we could have known then what we know now but then again if we did we wouldn't have Rosey. We are currently looking into finding a vet that can perform Ricky's neutering in the best of care possible. Until he does we will keep him in the smaller cage on top ( My First pet cage large) of Lucy and Rosey's ( My First pet cage Extra Large) and they will have supervised visits. I let them run in the double piggy play pen we bought for them ( two play pens we hook together for extra room) Ricky is a very good father and Rosey loves to snuggle up to her daddy which Lucy allows and also likes to lay next to Ricky herself. I think she misses his company but keeps VERY busy with little Rosey. They all enjoy their time together and have no problems and WHISTLING when its time to get back into their own cages. I love our addition to our family.Our family is complete now and my kids are happy, my husband and I are happy and they are Happy! I tell Lucy everyday How proud of her I am and she is a good mother. I still wish there was something we could have done to help the little piggie angel that passed become part of our happy family but he/she is in piggy heaven now and out of our hands. I just hope Lucy doesn't remember her lose. I feel the pain enough for both of us. I know how it feels to lose a little one and I am sure it is different for guinea pigs then humans but it still saddens me!
But I am proud of both Ricky and Lucy and happy for the little piggy they have but to everyone reading this THERE WILL BE NO MORE I am better educated now and am not nor will ever be a guinea pig breeder!:)

bpatters
12-04-09, 10:24 pm
If you have supervised visits, you'll have supervised sex, and more baby guinea pigs. Please do not put an intact male with an unspayed female. They'll survive apart until you can get the male neutered.

rabbitsncavyluv
12-04-09, 10:59 pm
You should not be letting them together at all even "supervised" until 3 weeks after his neuter.

They can mate in seconds. If you turn your head for a second or go do something like answer the phone or door, the deed is done.

I know of more than a handful of people who have done the "supervised" thing and they ended up with babies. That is breeding.

Your cages are also too small. Have you looked into the C&C cages on this site?

LucynRickysmom
12-05-09, 12:56 am
If you have supervised visits, you'll have supervised sex, and more baby guinea pigs. Please do not put an intact male with an unspayed female. They'll survive apart until you can get the male neutered.

supervised means being WATCHED!!!! at all times by both my and hubby / and kids most of the time as well. we have cell phones.. therefore I DO NOT answer them during free time with piggies. and if for any reason we have to get up.. they both go up Girls together first and then boys
The girls cage is PLENTY big enough. they have a hidy house. hanging water bottles and other things and have LOTS of room to move freely.. ITS A EXTRA LARGE cage.. the 120.00 one. Rickys is big enough for him right now but I want to put him in a bigger one. When we get him neutered they are all going into a c& c cage.. Yes I have checked on this site and found lots of ideas. We are just saving right now to pay for the surgery for him then the C & C

and does anything make people on here happy... I mean really... I am trying and got on her for advise not criticism :sarcastic

Ly&Pigs
12-05-09, 01:11 am
We are trying to save you the hassle of ending up having unwanted pups. Even with "supervised" playtimes, they could mate in an instant. It's so much easier to keep them apart than to end up with your sow pregnant and having a 20% chance of dying. If you get him neutered, there will be plenty of time for them to play afterwards.

bpatters
12-05-09, 09:03 am
It takes them seconds to mate. Even if you're sitting in the same room with them, watching them like hawks, how can you get to them in time to keep them from "doing the deed?" By the time you could get up and get to them, it's too late.

Google "youtube guinea pigs mating" (without the quotes) and it'll give you an idea of how incredibly quickly it can happen. If you're not holding one or the other the whole time they're together, you're gonna be a guinea pig grandma again.

akstrohm
12-05-09, 10:13 am
I'm glad you are planning on getting your male neutered and not breeding, and I'm glad the baby is doing well.

As has been stated many times, guinea pigs mate in seconds, and regardless of whether or not they are supervised, you most likely will not have have time to stop them. It is not worth the risk.

I looked up your cage, and it is far, far too small regardless of the stated size or the price. Two girls should have a 10.5 square feet single level cage. Also, you should have one hidey for each pig plus an extra neutral one--so you need three hideys for two girls, not one. C&C cages are pretty cheap. Look for grids online, on Craigslist, and at garage sales. You can use a shower curtain liner until you find a good place to get coroplast from. Don't forget to baby proof your cage.

twiztedlilfae
12-05-09, 10:22 am
Just because you feel they have enough room doesn't mean that they do. You have them in the equivalent of a closet for us. A glorified litter box, would you like to be shoved in a closet and told that's all the space you can have? Part of being a responsible owner is giving your animals the required space they need, proper care, etc. You wouldn't deny your kids the space they need to run around and be healthy, would you? If you look at the front homepage of guineapigcages.com you will see that the minimum space for 2 females is a 2x4; the minimum requirement for one boar in a seperate cage is 2x3.

Everyone is just trying to help you with the best possible care for the little guys. If you care about them as much as you say you do you'd stop having supervised visits with the daddy and you'd make a C&C cage for them to run around in. They will be alot happier in a bigger cage.