Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece only wicks when first washed

Justhatched

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am a new guinea pig owner. We opted for the fleece bedding after researching this website. Before having my mom sew the fleece into the bedsheets, we did all the prewashing and checked it. It worked like a charm. However, we have now had our sweet little Lily for two weeks and have changed the bedding three times. My problem is this.
I wash the bedding as soon as it is removed from the cage. It then sits folded in the cabinet until I change the cage again. At that point it will not wick. I have re washed all the materials and checked again. They wick beautifully when freshly washed but loose the ability to wick by the time I need to change the cage. This is presenting much frustration due to the fact that Lily seems to like to use the bathroom in her hidey house (at night only) and when I awake in the morning her entire back end is soaked from the pee.
Desperately seeking advice from any and all who might have a suggestion or have experienced a similar problem. Do not want to give up with the fleece- we love the concept and have put a lot of hard work into it.
Thank you for your time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are you using for the absorbent layer? My fleece is sewed to mattress pads, and it works just fine after sitting for a week.

Justhatched

Cavy Slave
I have used several things. I have towels, mattress pads, and even used bed pads like they use in hospital and nursing homes on top of the sheets. All of which work great when the fleece is wicking.
Just to clarify- the fleece wont wick at all- wont go through to an underside at all. Just sits on top.
Right now I have a piece that I just washed again yesterday morning- It is not in the cage. I am testing it to see how long until it quits wicking. So far- still wicking. Trying to figure out how many days it will wick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.