Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Strange odor in the boys' cage

P

peachygrl

Strange odor in the boys' cage

I have a question about a strange odor I've noticed in my boys' cage. It is sharp, almost metallic - nothing I've noticed before. Nobody is bleeding or has diarrhea and they've been getting fresh veggies/pellets and plenty of clean water. Anybody have any ideas?

D

Deandraspigs

Re: Strange odor in the boys' cage

I don't have a clue, but, are they getting hay?

P

peachygrl

Re: Strange odor in the boys' cage

yes - they have hay - I have 3 2/3 bales of it in the garage! 8o

Also, I use kiln dried pine as bedding and change their cage every 3-4 days. Today I gave Harry, my silkie boy, a haircut. I think I've bruised his ego. ;) But the piggies smell like it too - maybe it's coming from them? Like a marking type smell? I dunno.

Attachments

2012-06-04_13-56-49_300.jpg 2012-06-04_13-56-55_508.jpg 2012-06-04_13-57-01_40.jpg 080812120700 (2).jpg 080812120523 (2).jpg
E

EPig

I think I may know...

If your boys aren't neutered, I read that they give of a strong smell from when they grow mature. ;) They don't, though, if they're neutered. Don't rule out other possiblities though, I'm not an expert. If they have just reached sexual maturity, that may be the case. 8o

~EPig :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: I think I may know...

They don't give off a strong smell if not neutered. Only very occassionally when they are being aggressive or marking their territory or being 'amorous.' It's only once in a while and it goes away very quickly. Not a big deal at all.

And it's a musky smell. Rather hard to mistake for anything else.

The only other odors I've noticed are from sick pigs.

Attachments

Ms (4).jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.