Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Suitable temperatures

Fenrisulfr

Cavy Slave
Greetings,

I am a prospective guinea pig owner, but I keep my apartment on the cooler side (55F - 70F) as I am averse to the heater drying out the air and irritating my sinuses. As guinea pigs are native to the Andes, I do not think that my crisp climatic choices would cause trouble, but I could be wrong.

Any clarification on this issue would be appreciated.

sparkling*diva

Cavy Slave
The optimum temperature for piggies is 15-18 degrees celcius which works out to 59 to 64.5 farenheit . They are prone to heat stroke at 28 degrees Celcius which is 82.4 farenheit but you shoud be fine. :)

Normal room temperature is around 75F and whilst piggies tolerate the cold better than the heat, you could maybe open a window when your room reaches say 70F but im sure they will be fine.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Actually the ideal temperature range for cavies is 65-75F. Anything under 60 is on the cold side for them and anything over 80 is too hot.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
As guinea pigs are native to the Andes, I do not think that my crisp climatic choices would cause trouble, but I could be wrong.

Any clarification on this issue would be appreciated.

Although the ancestors of modern-day guinea pigs lived in the Andes, those pigs are far removed from the pigs of today and shouldn't be used as a barometer of what pigs can tolerate in temp and climate.

sparkling*diva

Cavy Slave
Actually the ideal temperature range for cavies is 65-75F. Anything under 60 is on the cold side for them and anything over 80 is too hot.

Hi, sorry, yes you are right....anything under 60 is too cold...my mistake :)

The optimum range as set out by the UK home office codes of practice is 16 - 23C which is 60.8 to 73.4F

These are the approximate temperatures but obviously there will be some variation, I dont have a thermometer in my room but I know that my piggies are perfectly happy & healthy just by thorough daily observation. If they were too hot, too cold id know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.