Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Boys Got Into Girls Cage

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
My two boys were having floor time just now, and my six sows were safely (or so I thought) in their cage.
I left the room just long enough to go to the bathroom and when I came back, the boys had somehow managed to push aside the only grid that isn't zip tied to another grid. The boys were in the girls cage happily nibbling on poos while all the girls were outside of the cage chattering their teeth at the boys.
I feel absolutely terrible. I didn't think it was possible for the boys to get in.
None of the girls are showing outward signs of being in heat, and I scooped up every one and checked their "bottoms" for any boar gunk (I didnt find anything). Also, the boys seemed far more interested in the girls poo than the girls themselves.
Are there any other signs of mating to look for? I'm really freaking out right now, so any advice would be much appreciated

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I think you can only watch and wait. GPs mate very very quickly as I understand it.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh. That's my worst nightmare- I have my unaltered boys in a totally different room than my females, and I close the door between them because I'm so scared that this could happen. I have no advice for you other than that which JD already gave... Best of luck, you're in my thoughts.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I think you can only watch and wait. GPs mate very very quickly as I understand it.
I know. That's one of the main things thats worrying me. There's no telling what could have happened in the 5 minutes I was out of the room.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Exactly. That's why I refuse to even foster females because I'm terrified of exactly that happening with my two unaltered and pubecent boys in the house.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
It's been awhile since I've posted. My
computer hasn't been working, and I've only just figured out I can post using my phone I should count myself lucky. Out of the above incident, only one of my girls has come out pregnant, Fat Rita.
Fat Rita is around three and a half years old and had her last litter a little over a year ago. This was right before I adopted her.
I will be baby proofing the cage next weekend using cardboard. Fat Rita is eating her usual diet of KM's timothy choice and unlimited bluegrass hay along witdaily veggies. i've also been giving her some extra veggies during laptime. Parsley, kale...other suggestions would be appreciated! I also have the regular hours phone number and the after hours emergency number of our vet stuck to the front of the refridgerator I feel sure there is something I'm doing wrong doing wrong . any and all adadvice would be much appreciated. I have been having nightmares almost every night that something will go wrong.
i apologize if this post has any misspellings or anything is odd with it. as I said, I'm using my phone to post and I'm not accustomed to it.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Wow. It really does happen fast, doesn't it? My neutered male tries to mount my girls frequently but it seems like he is very rarely successful! Best of luck to your Fat Rita and her babies. I hope you don't have any complications and everyone is happy and healthy.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
thank you for the well wishes. I'm doing my besto stay positive, but knowing how much could go wrong, it gets difficult.
Poor Rita was used for breeding piglits to sell at a local petstore(i did not buy her from here, i adopted her from a woman on CL who bought her from here) so she's been in this predicament who knows how many times. That makes me feel especially terrible for putting her back in into this state, however accidentally it happened.
Back to Rita....she is beginning to get super grumpy, and seems to have a more difficult time getting around. It seems to take more energy for her than it did before. I suppose this is normal for a sow going into her seventh week? She also has these odd little energy bursts where she'll dart across the cage at full speed.
Also, can anyone reccomend some more veggies that are especially good for expecting pigs? fat Rita adores the parsley but doesnt much care for the kale i bought her. she needs more variety. i read in another thread that Oxbow Cavy performance is an excellet foor for growing and expecing pigs, so I've put in an order for this. can I keep it fresh by storing it the same way I would the KM's? keeping it in the freezer?

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I should have knocked on wood when I said that only one of my girls got pregnant from this horrible incident. i have begun to suspect that my Sue may also be pregnant. she has gotten quite the tummy on her lately. i was hoping that she was ust putting on a little weight in her middle years, but now I'm not so sure. she is not as fond of pats and caresses as Fat Rita, and she hasen't allowed me to really feel her tummy much, but it's very firm. In Fat Rita I can feel what I'm certian is babies. It's like something is doing ''The Wave''. i can't feel anything like that with Sue. But then, she also won't hold still long enough.
How fast can boars, um, ''regnerate?''? Can I hope and pray that this is it?
I would like to upload pigtures of both girls. I'm still using my phone for internet though, and I can't do it from the phone. Would another member be kind enough to llow me to E-Mail them the pigtures and perhaps they could upload them for me? if thats even allowed. I dont want to break any rules.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I am posting the pictures for Laurabean.

The 2 girls.

guineapigloverr

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, that is terrible news, i'm not too sure about this so I don't want to give you wrong advice... but I will hope that nothing happened :).

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Pregnant pigs need a bit of extra calcium, but you can do this just by giving a bit of extra parsley during lap time--you don't need a ton of extra veggies (other than the normal variety they need). You don't need alfalfa based pellets in addition to that--stick with the timothy pellets so all the pigs can eat the same pellets.

It sounds like you're well prepared. Good luck!

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I'm doing my best to get prepared, but I feel like the farthest thing from it! I've been reading stickies and threads, google-ing and taking down notes so i'll have everything on hand if i need it.
It's nice to know that they can continue to eat their KM's....will that be ok for their piglits as well?
While I was doing research I came across an article about a boar named Sooty. Sotty appearently broke into a whole pen of sows and impregnated IK of them! In the span of a few hours! This worries me for the sake of my other girls. I feel that there is a distinct possibility that I may have more pregnant girls, although I can't tell yet. I only became aware of Fat Rita's symptoms a few days ago.I suppose all I can do is watch and wait.
Wow. I'm truly not sure whether to cry, cuss, or scream. If I'm this stressed I can only imagine how the poor girls must feel.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Don't be too hard on yourself. Mistakes happen, and you learned from it. You're giving them the best care you can.

Yes, the babies can have the KM timothy pellets too (for future reference, KM also makes an alfalfa pellet like Cavy Performance). Just give them parsley (or other high Ca veggies) like you're doing for the mom. Or you could give them a bit of alfalfa hay instead (in addition to grass hay).

gotpiggyprinces

Cavy Slave
My Piper looks like that! That's just cuz she's fat and spoiled though! LoL
You'll do fine with the babies, you're doing the best you can! And I'll be helping take one off of your hands when their ready! Don't worry!

kaitlin1494

Cavy Slave
I heard you have preg. pigs! We would maybe like to take one.. I'll talk with my mom to make sure, but we're about 45 mins. from Kansas City MO. How fars KC from Junction City?

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
would it be OK for all the girls to have the extra parsley or the treat of alfalfa hay? Just in case? It's good to know that everyone, babies included, can have the KM's, but I, in my panic, already paid for a ten pound bag of the Cavy Performance. I don't want to waste it. Any ideas? I thought of feeding it to the girls a few times a week. Sort of like a special supper.
Kaitlin, we're probably about a three hours drive from you. It usually takes me around two hours to get to the airport in KC. Its a straight shot down 70.
it's a relief to know I already have possible and definate homes lined up.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Personally I would only feed the Cavy Performance to the mom and babies. The babies can eat it until they are 6 months, and the mom can eat it for as long as she is nursing. So you should be able to use up the 10 lb bag easily. If you have the pregnant pig with the others and this makes it tricky to feed different pellets, I would stick with the timothy pellets for all. Then when the males are separated or the babies go to new homes and are not with older pigs, they can use up the Cavy Performance then.

If you do feed the cavy performance to older pigs, it needs to be fed in very limited quantities (1/8 cup) and I would stay away from veggies high in calcium even in small amounts. If you notice that their urine is getting cloudier, whiter, or gritty, switch back to timothy pellets.

The KM formula is better quality than the Oxbow, so if you haven't opened the bag, I would just return it.

Does that help?

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I agree that KM's is much better. I suppose I'm guilty of impulse food buying...the KM's would have taken a week to get here vs. the Oxbow I could get in three days. I dobt the store will refund me for it since they had to special order it in. It wouldn't hurt to ask though.
I've thought of a few more questions.
What exactly does the first movements feel like? I was holding Sue today and felt what felt like very strong bubbles popping in her tummy. i could hear them as well. Is this babies or just digestion? With Rita, I can feel definate babies.
How exactly does their nipple shape change during pregnancy? I've read that they get a bit longer, but do they also get a bit wider at the base? both Rita and Sue's nipples look like this.
Does a herd of sows ''cycles'' tend to regulate so they they all go into heat around the same time? Human women living together for a while tend to do this, so I was curious if guinea pigs do as well.
I'm still paranoidly watching and checking every one of the girls for signs of pregnancy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.