Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just got our piggies!

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! My name is Brenda. After a month's worth of research and lurking around here for info, we (my husband, three daughters, and I) decided to adopt a pair of piggies from Orange County Cavy Haven, a rescue right here in my neighborhood.

We got them today, and they're beautiful! You can tell my older girls named them...Princess is a gorgeous black one year-old, and Tink is her little brown baby daughter (3 months old). They were left in a shelter drop box about two months ago, poor Princess with all her little babies.

We have them set up in a 2x4 c&c cage with fleece, bent grids with blankets over them for hidey houses, a cozy, and a couple of (sterilized) pine cones to play with.

When they first got into their new home, they ate & drank pretty well (veggies, pellets & hay) and explored a little, then they got skittish and ran into their little hideys, and they've pretty much been there ever since. I'm not worried about it, the poor things have been through so much already it's no wonder they're skittish!

I have to go out tomorrow and get some alfalfa hay for Baby Tink. Other than that I think we're all set.

I will post some pics as soon as I have some, I didn't want to freak them out today by sticking a camera in their face lol

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome and congratulations on the adoption!

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Welcome and congrats!

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the welcome! My daughters have officially changed the piggies names again...this time I told them they HAVE to stick to it! The poor girlies need to learn their names! :D So the ladies have now been christened Daisy & Flower...Daisy is the baby and Flower is the mama.

I've noticed that Baby Daisy is not nearly as skittish as her mama Flower. Daisy actually let me pick her up and hold her for a few minutes today...yay! And I saw her popcorning in her cage already! I'm glad, it makes it seem like they'll adjust fairly well to being at home with us.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new babies! :D

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

distancel

Cavy Slave
Welcome, sounds like you are going to give the girls a really good home, I look forward to seeing pictures of them. They have lovely names.

Last edited:

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. It's great that you actually did your research before getting the pigs and that you adopted those poor babies, well done! Hope you enjoy the forum, I'm sure you'll find it incredibly useful.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! They are very cute!

Since the mom doesn't need the extra calcium, I would feed both of them grass hay. Then feed the baby veggies that are a bit higher in calcium during lap time. Parsley is a popular choice.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
I've been feeding Daisy (the baby) alfalfa hay during lap time. I put a little towel on my lap with a small pile of alfalfa hay, and she just munches away. She really seems to love it.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Akstrohm, do you mean instead of feeding them alfalfa?

Yes, since mom doesn't need the extra calcium it is acceptable to give the baby a few extra veggies high in calcium instead of alfalfa.

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips about the extra veggies for the baby. I have some parsley growing in my window, so I'll be sure to try that at lap time as well.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Oh my!!! They're so cute!!!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The baby doesn't need both the alfalfa hay and the parsley--whichever is more convenient for you is fine.

bgbear624

Cavy Slave
The baby doesn't need both the alfalfa hay and the parsley--whichever is more convenient for you is fine.

Thanks, maybe since I have both available I can alternate the two to give her variety?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.