Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Covering/protecting coroplast

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
I just got a new, bigger sheet of coroplast today to expand my girls cage. I am wondering, though, before I set the new cage up, is there any methods that you have found to be effective in protecting or covering the coroplast? I find it gets very wet, especially in the corners, and sometimes poo will cake to it as well. I was thinking of using a vinyl shower curtain but am clueless as to how to tack it down (not to mention its too small - oops!) Also, is this necessary anyway? I just want this sheet to stay clean and last a long time; it was $55!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It should not need any protective covering. What are you using for bedding? I'm guessing your problem lies there, because the bottom should not get too wet at all.

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
I use towels and fleece, and actually I was using puppy pads under the towels and fleece for awhile until I ran out. The coro still gets wet

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
How many layers of towels? How many pigs? How big is the cage? How often do you change the bedding?

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
2 layers of towels, one of fleece. 3 pigs. It's a 2x4 but I am upgrading to a 2x5. I change the bedding once a week.

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Expanding the cage should help a lot! You could also try putting extra small towels in the corners and changing just those out more often. Even if the coroplast gets a bit wet, it is water proof, so it shouldn't really matter. If you have a stubborn area that's hard to clean, soak it in vinegar for a while.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I cut squares out of an extra fleece throw I had. Put those in the corners with an old wash cloth or kitchen towel under. I can shake them out each day if it is only poop on them, or soak in a bucket if they've been peed on and replace with fresh ones. Having many of these does not add much to my once per week "big" wash and sure keeps the cage cleaner and fresher !

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I fold a hand towel in half in and put them in the corners for some extra protection

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Making the bedspreads or pulling the fleece so that it goes up and over the may help. If you don't want to do that then try putting a twin size bed sheet over the coroplast tray and then do your towels and fleece.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
I use a cheap shower curtain between my coro layer and towel layer. I might not NEED it, but Im just using it to prolong the life of my coroplast. I dont tack it down with anything though, i just lay it down (not over the sides, just the interior bottom) and put layers of towels over it. With 3 pigs in a 2x4 you may need to increase your layers of towels and do a full cage clean every 5-6 days.

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the advice. I will see how the first week in the expanded cage goes and see where I will go from there, depending on how wet it is. I can't clip the towels or fleece to the sides of the coro because the girls get under it then (Ive tried that!)

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
We are using one of those super thin mattress pads (the one with the "felty" top & vinyl bottom) underneath one thick towel, which is topped with a layer of fleece. I personally like it better with something underneath the towel, as I just don't want to have really scrub out the coroplast. I want a quick wipe & be done with it when it comes to the weekly cleaning/bedding switch out.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the advice. I will see how the first week in the expanded cage goes and see where I will go from there, depending on how wet it is. I can't clip the towels or fleece to the sides of the coro because the girls get under it then (Ive tried that!)

This is what solved my problem as far my piggies going under the fleece. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/49508-all-one-coro-bedding.html It was easy to make, and I only thought of it because I have remodeled my cages to many times to be able to reuse my coroplast trays and I simply didn't want to buy more coroplast (since it is a bit pricey). To make the AIO Bedspreads (2 sets for a 2x5 and a 3x5) costed me $35.00 in fabric and a few days of my time using the sewing machine and pricking my fingures a bit too, but it was worth it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.