Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Why isnt the fleece working for me??

NICOLA2

Cavy Slave
Hi there.

after reading all the messages on here about fleece i decided to give it a go.

i brought some fleece and washed it about 3-4 times first. (no softner) ive got 2 female guineas and they seem to really like it and were pop corning when i put them in the cage with it.

on of my guineas is a long haired guinea and the saw dust i was using first just kept sticking to her so thats why i decided to change the fleece.

but my problem now is it stinks! i have to change it everyday i dont mind doing it but my main concern is that my long haired guinea now stinks! her bum always smells of urine yet the fleece is wicking through as its not wet. i thinks its more the towels underneath that smell! i really dont want to go back to using saw dust as the guineas seem to really like the fleece but i dont want her to smell so bad! i gave her a bath a while ago and within about a day she started smelling again! i read its not to good to wash them all the time so i brought some grooming wipes and they dont help either! my short haired guinea dont really smell.

please help!:sad:

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
How many layers of towels & fleece are you using? We are using 1 layer of fleece, 1 layer of towel (ie: one towel) and then a very thin waterproof mattress pad without any odor.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
What are you using for a under layer? You need an absorbent layer underneath. Most people use old towels. I use a mattress pad and about 2 layers of towels (with a folded hand towel in heavily peed in corners). Also, what kind of fleece are you using?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm getting by for a week with one layer of fleece and one layer of mattress pad. No bottom layer under the mattress pad, and the coroplast will be damp in a place or two, but no puddled urine.

Mine are (sort of) potty trained, and I have two corner litter pans, and that's where they pee the most. Right now, I have aspen on top of fleece in those pans, because they were used to aspen when I got them, but we're reducing the aspen every time I change them, headed toward all fleece. I do change out those pans, and the one under their hayrack, in the middle of the week.

NICOLA2

Cavy Slave
Hi. Thanks for repling.

At the moment I have an old towel underneath but only one layer. maybe I should use 2 or 3? or the mattress pad sounds like a good idea.

The fleece im using is 100% Polyester the fleece doesnt seem too smell it seems to stay on the guinea, she is long haired and it all stays on her fur.

After about a day the towel underneath is wet and really smells!

My two dont really have a place where they go to the loo they just go where ever! they are pretty lazy! haha

I always sweep the fleece but it still dont really make much difference to her smelling. how often can you give your guineas a bath?

NICOLA2

Cavy Slave
Hi thanks for replying.

I use one layer of towel and one layer of fleece. maybe i should use two layers of towels? the mattress pads sound very good so i will try them aswell.

They dont really have a potty area they just go where ever i think! so i always sweep it all out everyday.

i gave my long haired guinea (Sandy) a trim around her bottom area and it does seemed to of helped a little bit. how often can you bath them? i brush her all the time ( she hates it though! yet my short haired guinea ( Pinky) loves to be brushed!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.