Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Need a buddy??

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi i dont no much about rats and im considering getting one.... what do i need to know?

Do they need a buddy?
What do they mainly eat and what do they need to be feed?
do they need floor time and stuff? if so how much??
how big does the cage need to be?

any other info will be great... thanks

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Rats are social so you should adopt a same-sex pair. I would feed them a high-quality lab block supplemented with fruits, veggies, grains, and plain cooked meat. I believe Oxbow sells rat food. I would definitely buy or build a large multilevel cage. Rats are very intelligent and need lots of mental stimulation and human attention.

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
oh ok thanks for the help!!!!

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
I will be getting two female rats in a couple of months and i would just like to know some good toys i can make them and things that are very popular especiall with the girls. also how often can vegies and fruits be fed?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) go to the rat care page and I believe there are some good links.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
You can feed veggies and fruits everyday.

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
ok thanks im going to that link now

_Cell_

Cavy Slave
rats LOVE out time. they like to run, hide, climb, interact with you and eachother. 2 of a same sex or a female with a nutered male are important, interspecies interaction is a must otherwise they become bored and destructive, somtimes even self destructive *overgrooming* building a rat cage is fun and simple, if you can get fine meshed cubes i say go for that, i can't get them here in NS but if i could, i'd probably have more then i'd know what to do with. Other cage options are Martinscages.com they sell cages for all small animals, deffinetly awesome cages. as for toys, anything can be a rat toy, parrot toys, critter kabobs, hiding treats, peices of material, plumbing tubes, hammocks are a must, food food food, hide food and make them find it, maybe a rooting box, or grow sunflower seeds or other mix seeds in a small earthy dish for rats to nibble on. ropes, and boxes fisherprice plastic doll houses are popular options, old clothes anything, DIY is the way to go, its fun and simple and cheap. and especially free range time!

grace

Cavy Slave
agpiggy said:
Hi i dont no much about rats and im considering getting one.... what do i need to know?

Do they need a buddy?
What do they mainly eat and what do they need to be feed?
do they need floor time and stuff? if so how much??
how big does the cage need to be?

any other info will be great... thanks
I was in your posintion not so long a go I bought my pig from a pet shop and they told me that a 2' by 2' cage would be big enaugh for him but we got him a new gcage that is 5grates by2 grates and he can run around freely.
but buy you pig for an adoption place or full time breeder that is highly recommeneded but 5 or more peaple and will take the pig back if anything happens.feel free to send me e-mail with more Q's

grace

Teria

Cavy Slave
Just be aware that "floor time" for a rat means 3D. Rats can climb and jump amazingly well, and they will explore not only the floor, but everything within reach - and everything you thought well out of reach. As for toys, rats love to play with everything you offer.

Piggies_LA

Cavy Slave
Defenately get a same-sex pair. As for food, most rat people I know feed Suebee's diet or a variation of it, which you can make yourself for very cheap and a mix lasts a couple of months. (broken link removed) - Recipe for the diet. The absolute best cages are Martins - www.martinscages.com - they are very roomy and specially made for rats. Be sure to get powder coated wire because galvanized soaks up pee smell and stinks very quickly. A great rattie site and very helpful forum is (broken link removed) , A great place to meet some awesome rat people...hope to see you there! :)

Good luck with the ratters!

Wheekwheek

Cavy Slave
Some of my all time favorite pets I've had were my rats Fifi and Fluffy. Fifi was the most social and affectionate rodent in the history of petkind. She would immediately run behind my neck to cuddle me and we would read togeather for hours. Occasionally she would come out to lick my cheek and give me a nuzzle before running back to her hiding spot behind my hair. They are also very intelligent. More than once Fluffy managed to find a way out of her cage and once while I was reading in the chair beside her. When I looked and caught her I told her. "Now you get back in that cage this very instant." Immediately she scuttled just as fast as she could back into that cage. I never needed to catch her she knew when she had been bad and had to rectify the situation. I've also never been bitten by a rat. They are just wonderful animals I wish you the best of luck

Wheekwheek

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
thanks guys but i got my rats a month or two or three ago lol, gee has time gone by fast, i have my babies in a modified birdcage with two levels and they seem happy, now i want more lol, wheek wheek that is so cute what ur rats did!!! thanks for everyones help, i only have one problem, i dont know what to put in their cage! like for toys and stuff, i have a hammock, tissue box with scrunched up tisses in it, a rattie climbing rope, a litter box, food and water dish and thats about it, every now and then they get cereal boxes and stuff or shoe boxes, so i kinda need more ideas for toys and if anyone has any advice as to how to keep them warm during winter that would be a great help. Thanks everyone

Piggies_LA

Cavy Slave
Soda boxes are great as are the large cardboard tubes from the middle of carpet or fabric spools, etc. Just go to a carpet or fabric store and ask them if they have any from an empty spool and cut it with a saw. Don't spend too much money on toys, as rats are much more entertained by the simple things. Go to the dollar store..a lot of people use those plastic organization baskets by hanging them in the cage with zip ties. Ratties love them and they double as kind of extra levels. As far as keeping warm in the winter..or if its cold in the rat room, they usually do a good enough job of that by cuddling together. I have fleece pocket hammocks that they can climb inside if its really cold.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I feed mine rat food I buy at petsmart. I only have one. His cage is 48" by 36" I bought it at a store where I live. I hope some of that helped. He is a great pet and he is never really in his cage because he is always on my shoulder!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.