Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Starting the C&C process!

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
Called around to sign stores today, for the coroplast it will be $20 for a full sheet, and I'll be taking my hubby with me tomorrow to pick it up! (He has a truck) And we're leaving here in a few minutes to look around for the grids! I was going to do it all in pink and brown (brown coroplast and pink grids) but those grids were $40 and I'd have to buy 2 packs and pay shipping LOL. So that idea got shot down. So it'll be black and white, black coroplast and whie grids. We'll also be going to the dollar store to stock up on towels, and the fabric store for fleece! lol

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Have fun! I can't wait to see pictures when it's all done. Sounds like it will look nice.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Hooray! Building is so fun. Best of luck!

PikaTot

Cavy Slave

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
Its very exciting to build your cage. My favorite is the fact that they popcorn FOREVER when they realize their new home! Have fun with it and be creative.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Oooh pink grids would be nice, I want some! Hehehe. You can always have lovely pink fleece bedding though, it will look lovely with the white grids :) Hope you find everything you need, c&c building is really very fun.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
I am so glad I went with the C&C style of cage. It has been a blast building it, and now we are onto the fleece part. I really wanted some of the those piggy bedspreads I found while googling, but they are too expensive (though very nice). My mother in law is helping me make them from scratch, with some of the instructions on here. The boys love their new big cage. Have a great time!

barbanderson

Cavy Slave
Yes the most fun is in the planning and decorating and LOTS of ideas get shot down due to the high expense and lack of finding what you want but even compromises turn out ok in the end. I was going for a black and white Nascar winners circle theme but could only get gray metal grids so I went with black coroplast and then found some "bug" fleece I liked and all my careful planning schemes and themes were kaput LOL but in the end, it all turned out great anyway LOL. Least I think so ha ha ha. Your white grids with black coro sounds lovely and pink fleece, well it all sounds just gorgeous so yes, be sure to post us some pics so we can drool over it too :) Have fun and may your end result please YOU as much as MINE did me :)

angiekay

Cavy Slave
OOOOhhhh can't wait to see pics, pink and brown sounds AWESOME!!!! Good luck and have fun, just be prepared to be remodeling several times........it's a process and it's addicting. HA!!!

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
Well, the night was pretty unsuccessful :-(. Didn't find the cubes but, we only went to walmart. My husband got a new video game for his PS3 and lost interest in the cage frenzy lol. So i'll be going back to town tomorrow for the fleece and grids. I'm going to check the other Walmart, K-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Lowes for the grids. Hopefully should find them, then going to the fabric store! :-D. Dug my sewing machine out so I hope to figure out a way to make a little snuggie for him! And maybe a little couch thing.

Today wasn't a total loss though, bought 6 towels for under the fleece (so I can have three under at a time and a back up set for washing day). And a spray bottle for the water/vinegar mixture because i've just been filling up a bowl of water and soap and a bowl of water and using two wash clothes to wash and dry! LOL.

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
I have everything! EXCEPT A TAPE MEASURER! lol so i'll need to run back out to the store.I have the grids set up though,and had a question, the table I'd planned to set it on...well the cage is bigger LOL, how do I build like the shelves under it? to lift it up?

angiekay

Cavy Slave
you would have to make a "floor" with the grids, and attach them to the "wall" grids, then zip tie some more grids like "legs" to the outside edges of the cage, and depending on how big you are going you can put a few in the middle, and they act like legs, if you are putting it on carpet it will kinda "sink" down in the carpet and it won't topple or move, GOOD LUCK.

Glad you found all your stuff to start.

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
thanks I for some reason was sitting here like... "okay.. how do I have to turn the connectors to get the legs on... this isn't possible..." LOL. sorry I'm blonde. Almost complete, I'm going to be washing the fleece tonight once, and then another 2-3 times tomorrow, while I do that I'm going to add zip ties to all the grids to make it sturdier! :-D. and attaching the legs, and *if* i have enough grids left (i should), i'll be putting dividers in and little baskets to hold his stuff!(food, hay, bedding) currently his cage is SO small (which is why I got on to making it IMMEDIATELY after reading through this site) that it's on a small book shelf from walmart and the shelves house all his stuff,so it would be nice to have room for it under the cage still! :-D

THIS is his current cage.
PETCO Guinea Pig Starter Kit at PETCO

dimensions: 29" L X 18" W X 15" H and I'm pretty sure thats the OUTSIDE dimensions. :(. I feel so bad he's been in it for 4 months!

distancel

Cavy Slave
I think a lot of people get a cage like that when they first get their piggies. I know a lot of pet stores around here sell what they call 'guinea pig kits' which come with a cage like that, bedding, (junk!!) pellets and treats and one guinea pig. Really it is the misinformation that leads so many people astray and they have no idea that their guinea pigs need a lot more space! It is just a shame that they still go on selling the cages and misinforming people. And people get this info and then think that THEY know what they are talking about too. The amount of people who laugh at me when I suggest that their cage is not big enough, or that they shouldn't leave their piggies outside in a hutch!

It is awesome that you are making him the right cage now :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Um, you may want to rethink that "dividers inside the cage" bit. They need space to run around, so just leaving it open is the best option. I tried to maximize the space mine have to run by putting the hideys down the middle, or against the back wall. But since the first thing my two did after arriving was to join the GP Furniture Movers Union, the only thing that stays where I put it is the fiddlesticks, and it's too heavy for them to move! Everything else gets shoved around until there's an obstacle course for them to navigate.

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
oh, i'm not putting dividers in the cage, I mean making a shelf with the grids underneath it, and dividers in there to put baskets to store his stuff :) his cage will just be a wide open space with all his stuff :)

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
cage done! :-D finishing washing the fleece then taking pics and loading them up! should be a couple hours tillI have the pics up!

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Haha, I've had my share of C&C dreams shot down. I wanted a 3x6 with 1x3 loft and 3 sets of multicoloured Bohemian fleece from the fabric store.... I have a 2x6 with 1x2 and random fleece scraps from Value Village which the pigs burrow under.... Oh well! Good luck to you, it will turn out great! :)

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
Will post more pics tomorrow with all his stuff in it! But this is the end result! :-D. I *hope* I attach this right!

IMG00010-20091114-2305.jpg

He loves it! He just stood still at first and then I talked to him and he slowly walked around and then was popcorning! It's a lot of space for ONE piggie that has been in the little cage his whole life! :-D he's so happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.