Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Can ivermectin mixed using vegetable oil be used at a later date?

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
I am going to have to mix my horse paste with something other then propylene glycol because in my town no one carries it supposidly. I've read up on this on the Guinealynx site and I know that when mixed with water it has to be discarded but is it possible to use the solution mixed with vegetable oil again or should it be thrown out? I hear it takes alot of shaking to completely mix horse paste so which do you guys suggest? I was originally trying to get the Ivomec everyone else uses but in my area its over $100 a bottle! When you live in Newfoundland Canada it seems they can charge what they want and they only get limited supplies. If anyone else lives in my area and has a suggestion I would love to hear from you.

distancel

Cavy Slave
I would like to know this also. Like you I could not get the propylene glycol, and the ivomec was way too expensive considering the small amount I would be using. And yeah it is a big pain to mix up, the paste sort of seperates in the oil and hangs in little 'specks' in the oil. I had to mix it for a good half an hour lol. It would be nice if there were some way to keep it 'fresh' and be able to use the same batch for the next dose rather than mixing up more?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I think once you mix it, you have a limited time to use it or else its effectiveness decreases.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
I would suggest checking w/ your vets office or a local pharmacy to see if they can get the proplyene glycol for you. I have acess to it at my work, but I've never utilized that source. Our small animal vet told us we could only mix it up as we needed it, and not to store it for later. I'm sorry I don't have anymore information than that.

Calvin & Hobes

Cavy Slave
Considering the small amount you need for guinea pigs you might want to ask anyone you know who has horses,cows, or goats if they'd be willing to sell you a small amount of the liquid Ivomec. I buy the 50ml bottles to use on my horses and almost always have an odd amount left over as I'm sure most people who buy it do. At our local flea market there are a couple of people who sell it by the dose to dog owners for heartworms so, dog kennels might be another possible source of the liquid without having to buy an entire bottle.

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, I think I will have to try to mix up a small amount like is mentioned on the Guinea Lynx page so not so much is wasted. Ivomec used to be only $53 here but the price has been raised for some reason. I am going to call a few horse stables today and see if they have anyone there willing to sell me a dose of Ivomec.

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
I've found the propylene glycol but it is almost 60 dollar for a 4 litre. I think I am going to have to go with the oil and maybe pay the extra for the Ivomec no matter how expensive because throwing out a little with the ivomec is better then throwing out alot of horse paste.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The horse paste should be really cheap compared to the Ivomec. I would just mix up 1/5 of the tube at a time, dilute it in water or oil, and throw out the mixed part. One tube will be enough for 5 doses... yes, you're wasting a lot of it, but it will still probably be cheaper.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if the horse paste mixes better in water than in oil? Mixing it in the oil it never seems really mixed and I really worry that I'll accidently dose too much or too little. May have to track down the propylene but may end up just as expensive as getting ivomec anyway.

It's odd that ivermectin is not available in guinea pig sized dosage as an actual guinea pig product, since it works for them. Yet they sell the 'mite spray' at pet shops which does nothing for mites. It seems really stupid to me.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If you use straight ivermectin (the injectable, not the horse paste) you don't need to mix it with anything. You can give it orally or topically right as it is.

Have you tried getting it online? Valley Vet has (broken link removed) and also some other brands of Ivermectin-- (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) that are pretty inexpensive. Valley Vet is a pretty big company, and I think they would ship to Newfoundland.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It is recommended to dilute the horse paste first because otherwise it is very, very difficult to measure the correct amount.

I mix mine in water. It takes a long time, but it does work. I would add a small amount of water (1mL), mix as thoroughly as you can, then add another mL. I use a spoon to mash the paste. It does get mixed in completely, but it takes 15 min or so. At the end, dilute it to the final amount and mix once more.

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
I am going to do the paste and water now, I went to the farm store today and they have no 50ml injectable bottles only 200ml bottles but they had Panomec and that was the only horse paste there that contained only ivermectin, mind you it was still almost 30 dollars. I wish we had a walmart with a farm section. Next time I will order from an online store at least I will be able to get what I want.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The horse paste is cheaper online, too. Often they have sales and you can get a tube for less than $5.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I use the .5% pour on ivermectin and it works well. It's easy to use. The smallest bottle can dose a ton of guinea pigs so I'll always have it on hand.

punkygizzylover

Cavy Slave
Wow foggy that is very very cheap, next time I am definitly going online to get Ivermectin. At around $5 a tube I could stock up! I've really got to thank you all though I have to say it is so great to have a place like this to come and get answers and talk to people who are crazy about piggies too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.