Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Martini

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!
New here, I have one Piggie, a male names Martini (originally thought he was a she). And he's in a sall store bought cage :-(.

Friday is payday though and I begin my search for materials for a C&C cage and once that's done, switch to fleece bedding! Seems so much more cost efficent AND after looking at all the pictures much more attractive than carefresh ;-). Then begin the search for a Piggie Friend :-D.

I also have two small dogs (a chihuahua and a chihuahua mix). And my husband thinks we live in a zoo lol, when I'd have 900 more animals if I could :).

I got Martini when he was 2 weeks (now I know thats a little young :-(), he was born the 4th of July and he's my pride and joy! He came from a bad place though, (about 30 piggies stuck in 2 small cages just having babies w/ only pellet food). So he has a little part of an ear missing from other piggies chewing him :-(. And he has an Upper Respiratory Infection, vet said likely from his start in life and could reappear his whole life. :sad:

But other than that.... he's one happy pig! VERY talkative I love it! When my Husand will ask him to be quiet he gets louder and my husband will just sit there and argue with him "I'm trying to watch a movie and you're making it hard to hear" lol. <3

That's aout it!

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and that you learn a lot. :)

Do you have any pigtures of Martini?

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
Him when I got him, so tiny!

and just two of my favorites!

and also, as far as a friend, would you all suggest finding a male (i heard they can be difficult to get along) or neutering and finding a female? I'm thinking neutering because then it would be easier toget 3-4 total (over time) but i'm no expert!:)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope you'll get your next pig from a rescue or a shelter. If you need help finding a pig to adopt, just ask!

Don't forget about starting a vet fund too. Emergency vet bills can get expensive!

Your pig sounds adorable... good luck finding another one!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
He's adorable! (Er, I mean very handsome.)

If you get a big enough cage, and they don't have to share huts, etc., it shouldn't be a problem getting another boy, or even eventually multiple boys. I've heard having a spread in age helps, but my boars are only a few months different in age and get along like an old married couple, LOL, they do everything together. It will be even more important for Martini's continued good health than for most people that you make sure to get your next piggie from a reliable rescue. Good luck!

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
yeah our shelter amost never has piggies:-( which is how I ended up w/ Tini off craigslist, but now theres actually a Guinea Pig Rescue :) so it won't be a problem

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Your little guy is so adorable. Boy he was tiny when you got him.
How old is he now?
Make sure you check out the threads on diet and nutrition. Ly has done an amazing job at spelling out exactly what to feed each day.
Hope you can find a buddy for Martini soon. Please look at the shelters and rescues.
Where in NY do you live? I am in a suburb outside of Buffalo,NY.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
He's sooo cute!

Let us know if you need help finding cubes & coroplast, or coming up with alternatives. There are all kinds of threads on here about it, and about fleece! I made the switch about a month ago, and let me tell you- it is SO much easier.

As people have already mentioned, adopt- don't buy, please, and check out the nutrition area.

Again- welcome!

EDIT- Oh, and for genders and getting along and all that... I have two trios, one is two females and a neutered male, the other is three males. The males have been a hassle lately, one of them won't stop gluing the others- and they're all fighting! I've never had any problems with my two female/one neutered male pair. I'm hoping the guys will chill out soon, as I just got them last week.

Also, with guys there is more... personal cleaning involved.

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
I put more pictures in an album... you'd all know better than me how to get to it! lol

distancel

Cavy Slave
Oh he is adorable! my piggie family consists of 2 females and I plan to add a neutered male into the mix. In my experience, boys tend to be more laid back and have less of an attitude than girls. Then again some girls can be just as chilled out as a boy so really it's a generalisation and it all depends on the pig.

I think the main difference is that boys are bigger and need more room, and they mark their cages a lot more so they need a little more attentive cleaning than girls. I find I need to change out Wesley's (current male pig staying with me possibly keeping him) towels a little more often than the girl's. That is what I have found anyway.

I think if you want to possibly have a 'herd' of like 4 or more piggies one day, then desexing Martini may be a good way to go as it is easier for girls to all get along It's really up to your personal choice though, but that's what Id lean towards. Be warned though, I don't know what it's like where you are, but neutering is quite expensive for a piggie here in Australia, I am looking at upwards of 220 AUD. The 'vet fund' is a very good idea indeed.

MartiniTini

Cavy Slave
We def. have a vet fund as I have my dogs as well :). The SPCA has a mobile vet clinic, i've talked to them when I first got Martini, it's only about $60 for the neuter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.