Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Connectors Has anyone

EvelynsCavies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I believe that many people on this site have used only zip ties. I think that it would be more stable then with only connectors. I use zip ties with the connectors to make it stable.

Sebastian's first permanent cage was made with only zip ties and it worked really well.

EvelynsCavies

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine's made with closetmaid shelving rather than grids, but it's totally ziptied together. No connectors at all.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can order extra connectors online from several sites. Do a search or go to the main page and click cubes/coroplast.

EvelynsCavies

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you use coroplast with a wall inside your grids? My GPs can't get to the walls or connectors of the cage to be able to squish poop into it.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Mine is made entirely of zip ties. Hundreds of them! The cage AND the stand and it's very secure. My fingers hurt for a day or two afterwards but it's worth it. I used the connectors at first and some spots kept popping off. I hated it.

EvelynsCavies

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Mine is also made completely from zipties, hubby complained of sore hands also for quite awhile, as we did several remodels.

EvelynsCavies

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
My entire 2x10 cage is held together with zipties and no connectors. It is solid and I haven't had any problems with it, even with several upper level sections. To all you folks saying that zipties hurt your fingers, I'm having trouble understanding how zipties hurt your fingers. Please explain. I've got several hundred zipties on mine and never experienced any discomfort. I use small zipties, maybe that's why.

EvelynsCavies

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
speaking for myself, the reason I had pain/blisters is from tightening the zip ties. I slide all zip ties until they won't tighten anymore to ensure for no movement. (not to mention it can get quite tiring to cut off all the ends of the zip ties, ever used scissors to clip 300+ zip ties??) :crazy:

Ok, that makes sense, and yes, I clip all of my zipties with very sharp kitchen shears so it cuts fairly easily. To tighten zipties, I just yank them closed quickly and it usually pulls them very tight. Just a tip

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use needle-nosed pliers to tighten the zipties down, and a small pair of wire cutters to snip the ends off.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mine is made entirely of zip ties. Hundreds of them! The cage AND the stand and it's very secure. My fingers hurt for a day or two afterwards but it's worth it. I used the connectors at first and some spots kept popping off. I hated it.
Ditto, ditto, this could have been my own post ! I have unused connectors galore. I hate them too !

EvelynsCavies

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
You could also just use conectors on the top of the grids so they can't squish poop into them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.