PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Suggested bottom layer?

PikaTot
11-11-09, 10:38 am
I'm soon making the switch to fleece (probably this weekend). What would you all suggest that I use for my bottom layer, the layer touching the coroplast? I'm going to use fleece as my top layer and then the zorb thread convinced me to use zorb as the second layer. Should I just use newspapers as the bottom layer? I'm going to have white coroplast.. will the ink from the newspapers get on the coroplast?

Tdchewy
11-11-09, 10:41 am
I'm soon making the switch to fleece (probably this weekend). What would you all suggest that I use for my bottom layer, the layer touching the coroplast? I'm going to use fleece as my top layer and then the zorb thread convinced me to use zorb as the second layer. Should I just use newspapers as the bottom layer? I'm going to have white coroplast.. will the ink from the newspapers get on the coroplast?

I use towels from Kmart. $3 each. They work great and are easily washable.

PiggiePaws
11-11-09, 10:44 am
Newspaper gets wet and stinky very fast and will probably stick to the fleece. I use a layer of towels, a layer of mattress pads and then the fleece. Matress pads work very well, the towels underneath them hardly ever get wet.

I also use puppy pee pads in my boar's cage, I just change them out every two or three days.

PikaTot
11-11-09, 10:47 am
I can definitely do towels. I have too many of those as it is. Thanks!

fieryone
11-11-09, 11:11 am
I use an old mattress pad from the Goodwill with several layers of towels on top of that, then one layer of fleece. Just towels would be fine, too. Newspaper isn't very absorbant of wetness or odors and I think that it would be a soggy mess to clean up.

princesspoppy
11-11-09, 11:26 am
I use news papers in the corners then towels all over the cage,double up in the corners and then fleece(1 layer)

Sugar&Ellie
11-11-09, 11:36 am
I just use towels.

Duffinvt
11-11-09, 11:37 am
I use towels and bath mats (the heavy cotton kind with no rubber backing). I put three mats under the fleece, one on each end and one in the middle. After a few days I flip up the fleece to switch out the end mats/towels to extend the amount of time between washings. Might as well have a "big" load once per week, right? My girls only pee on the ends of the C&C, never in the middle.

Ly&Pigs
11-11-09, 02:14 pm
The ink from wet newspaper will stain coroplast.

PikaTot
11-11-09, 03:50 pm
Blech, I figured there might be some staining. I don't want that on my brand new, white coroplast. Towels seem like the most practical solution right now for me, but I'll be keeping an eye out for mattress pads.

Dichotomy83
11-11-09, 04:39 pm
I use about 3-4 layers of thin terry material that I picked up from a fabric store underneath my fleece.

Below the towels I have a cheap shower curtain liner covering the coroplast. Its only gotten a tiny bit wet once, but mostly I have it there "just in case".

PikaTot
11-11-09, 04:42 pm
A cheap shower curtain is also a brilliant idea. I will look into that as well! Thank you all so much for helping me. I've said this a bunch of times in random threads, but I don't know what I would do without the collective knowledge that this forum has to provide!

luvmycavies
11-11-09, 05:13 pm
I use just the waterproof quilted mattress pad I picked up at WalMart and fleece.....no smell and works wonders! I used to use towels between the layers but the towels would start to smell after 2 days and I decided to try something different.

MyZoo2
11-11-09, 05:52 pm
We use fleece, towels & a one of those waterproof pads that you can put under or over sheets.