Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New from Virginia :)

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi, I am new here and i LOVE this forum! it is AMAZING!
Anyways, I am 18, I get married next month, I live in VA, and I LOVE animals!!!!!
I currently have 2 cats,1 bunny, and 6 guinea pigs.
My cats are girls and there names are Makenzie and Dalilah, Makenzie is mine and Dalilah is actually my fiances, He loves her more than life itself, I swear! lol
My bunny is a boy, his name is Butterscotch. He is a mini rex and just STUNNING!
And my guinea pigs are...

Girls:
Razzberri
Blakberry
Tangerine

and

Boys:
Frizzy
Cow
Oatmeal

I will post lots of pics of my piggies after i am done here.

...Oh, and my name is Rachel :)

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Introducing the PIGGIES!!!!-LOTS OF PICS

Here are my piggies. There names are labeled on the pics.

Boy-1 1/2 years
Guineapigs1012.jpg

Boy-1 1/2 years
Guineapigs1011.jpg

Boy-2 months
Guineapigs1005.jpg

I will post pics of the girls, cages and random pics when this gets posted.

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Girl-7 months old
guineapigs031-2.jpg

Girl-5 months
Guineapigs1009.jpg

Girl-5 1/2 months
Guineapigs1013.jpg

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome. Glad to see you have found this site. It has helped me immensely with my quest for the perfect domaine for my 12 piggies.
Your piggies are all absolutely gorgeous. Glad to see that they all have buddies to be with.
Congratulations on your soon to be wedding also. I wish you the best forever marriage.
If you have not researched the C & C cages, I suggest you do so. The cages you have your piggies in are way too small. Wouldnt even be big enough for 1 piggy.
For 3 piggies the minimum size is a 2x5 but bigger is much better. The boars should be in even a bigger cage than that.
Please check out the threads on diet and nutrition also. It looks like you have a salt wheel in the cage also. Those are not good for them. Unfortunately pet stores will try to sell anything, regardless of the benefits or dangers to your babies. Please take time to research on here as much as you can. I made so many mistakes at first until I started to do my research. Only trying to save you the headache and heartache of not properly caring for your friends.
Hope this helps you. I dont mean to sound critical, just informative. It is for the best of your little piggies.
Enjoy them and take the best care of them that you can. They are so worth it. :D

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

distancel

Cavy Slave
Oh, Cow is a perfect name for that piggie hehe. They are all very gorgeous :). Hope you will take on board what piggiecrazy has said, you will be amazed at how much happier your pigs will be in the right sized cage, their personalities will really come out!

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have been looking into it, I dont know were to get The stuff to make one though? Can someone help me. Thanks

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I have been looking into it, I dont know were to get The stuff to make one though? Can someone help me. Thanks

Welcome! All of your pigs are adorable, but Tangerine is amazing!

Everyone here will be more than willing to help you out with ideas for cage materials, diet, etc. It's a lot to take in all at once, but I promise that once you sort through it all it becomes second nature and very easy. Read, read, read!

Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you? They seem to be the easiest place to find the right sized grids these days. Coroplast can be found at most sign shops. Most of them are only open on weekdays which can be challenging, but if you tell them why you need a sheet they are usually happy to help you out. If you absolutely can't find coroplast there are many other ideas you could use.

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thanks. Yes, I do have a bed bah and beyond. There is one like 10 minutes form me.
And i do not have a sighn shop near that i know of, Would Michaels Craft store have it? Also. would a 2 grid x 3grid be bigh enough for 3 piggys in each? or do i need to go bigger? Can you tell me how WIDE one grid is, as i have limited space and want to make sure i get to keep them in my room, my room is big though so.. ANyways, i have been ready but I just need help one where I can fine the stuff. Thanks

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Nevermind, I found a place that has coroplast for $15 a sheet 4ft x 8ft..Is that a good price? Also I dont think that will fit into my fiances car. Can it be folded or rolled up? and How do i make the sides of my cages out of it so that the bedding doesnt fall out?

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Michael's wouldn't have it. It really does seem to be more or less sign store specific. Here is a link that may get you started in the right direction

Where?

For 3 females you really need at least a 2x5 grid cage and a 2x6 for males. More is better, especially for the males. Grids are 14" across and you could stack the cages to save space. That's probably best anyway if you're going to have the males in the same room as the females. Just seeing and smelling females can sometimes cause males to fight, but one of the mods here has stacked cages and I'm sure she will be able to weigh in more on that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
$15 isn't too bad a price. I get it for $10, but I've seen other posters say they have to pay $15, or even more.

It can be rolled, to a degree -- there are some pictures in the gallery, here. And here are the directions for making it, with sides to the coroplast. There are plenty of picture examples in the photo gallery for whatever kind of cage you want to make -- one or two story, open or closed, C&C or alternative. Browse around and you'll get some great ideas.

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I dont want to stack them. My room has stupid diming light and dont get verry bright so it cast a mad shadow. So it would be like BLACK in the bottom cage. I am going to go measure to see what i can fit.

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have enough room to do each 2 x 4. Would that be ok? And would i be able to to make one 8 panels long by 2 wide then stick 2 panels in the middle to deivide the cage so there is 4 panels on each side for cages? or would that be a bad idea cause the males can see the females and interact with them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What if you did two 2X6 cages, and stacked only one or two sections? That would make it less than 8 long, which is a long cage, the top cage would be fully lit, and only the 1 or 2 sections of the bottom cage would be in shadow. Each cage would be totally separate, it would take up less floor space than a 2x8, the GPs would have more room, and you'd have storage space underneath the top cage. But don't forget, the grids are 14 inches, not 12, so don't calculate them as one foot each.

A little shadow isn't a bad thing -- they'll take advantage of it to hide from you.

Here's what I mean -- hope it makes sense:

------------------------------|-------------------------------------- |
storage ----------------------|-------------------------------------- |
------------------------------___________________________________

Last edited:

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I am confused lol

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I hope you learn a lot here and enjoy your time. Pardon my straightforwardness, but your pigs definitely need a bigger cage. I don't think you're supposed to even post photos of pet store cages on here, if I recall correctly.

Anyway- I have 6 pigs too, two girls and one altered boy, and three unaltered boys. I currently have them living in a 2x5 C&C, and a 3x4 C&... showercurtain. That works if you can't find coroplast. I got my cubes at a Fred Meyer, you can order them online from Walmart and other places- search "Whitmor Cubes".

I'd recommend more space than that, honestly. I'll be making a cage expansion as soon as I have more room or have a bright idea.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I don't think you're supposed to even post photos of pet store cages on here, if I recall correctly.

In threads you can, but you can't post pictures of them in the gallery.

Rachel, unfortunately a 2x4 will be too small. Especially for the males. Males require a bit more room than the same number of females since they're a bit more territorial. You have a much higher chance of successfully housing them together the more room that they have.

I don't know what your room looks like obviously, but can you play with angles? You could try an L shape as well. There are so many fabulous ideas in the galleries. I didn't think there was any way that I could fit anything bigger than a 2x5 with the shape of the room their in, but I ended up playing with the angles and they now have a much larger cage that actually takes up less room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.