Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Checking out a pig

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have not handled my girls much, as they detest it. Please, could someone with experience tell me how one would check a pig for health issues. Including how to hold it and how to examine inside the mouth. I see much discussion of impaction, too. I know it must have been posted in the past, but it would be so helpful to me and perhaps other newbies here.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
The only thing I could probably give you advice on is feet, bladders and teeth.

I rest their backs against my belly while sitting down, kind of put their butt on my lap, and gently hold them with one hand and use the other hand to get their paws. I check their feet, toes, and between their toes for rough areas, extra growth, or sores. If I find extra growth like spurs, I cut it off with the toenail clippers. If I find rough areas, I use a little bit of aloe.

For teeth, I roll them onto their back and spread their little cheeks to make sure none are broken or have anything stuck in there. I usually can only see the front teeth though, I don't know how to check the rest of their mouths.

For their bladders, to check for stones and the like, I sit them right side up again and put my fingers on either side, move them back towards their butt till you feel a balloon like thing- that's the bladder. Gently palpate it and feel for any hard spots.

Anyone, please feel free to let me know if any of this is misinformation.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
To open their mouth press your fingers gently on the sides of their mouth and it should open.

A few signs of healthy guinea pigs are-
Bright eyes (no crusty discharge)
Alert
Full coat with no bare spots (except behind ears)
No dandruff
No discharge from nose or mouth
Walk in straight lines
Doesn't cock head constantly
Has a healthy appetite (usually accepts food)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.