Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Seperation Question

EvelynsCavies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
That would be a tough call, however males are capable of reproducing as early as 3-4 weeks.

Here is the problem even though you may be a stay at home mom (males are very quick) you can't see everything they do when you leave the room. I would have to say the best thing to do is to seperate right away at 21 days just to prevent a any pregnancies.

The baby will quickly take to the pellets, hay, and veggies. Think about he is not going to starve his self and if this is a concern maybe you can find away to monitor him after you seperate to make sure he is eating enough.

I just recently seperated my baby males from their mom, and I was concerned about Nemo since he was the smallest and still nursing more than the others and not really eating much pellets, hay or veggies. But I figured it was best to seperate then to risk a pregnancy on his sister, mom, and aunties. I just watched him a bit more closely and he started eating everything like normal and he is now just as big as his brothers. I think for him so long as mommie was there he only wanted her milk and to follow her everywhere. But he is doing fine on his own with his brothers and my older three males.

EvelynsCavies

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would separate him at 21 days. He can eat solid food just fine. Make sure you provide a high quality diet and weigh him weekly. Will he be alone or with a new buddy? Or in a divided cage?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Yeah, we have to let them grow up sometime, just not to quickly, lol.

I too am a stay at home mom and my kids are now 4th grade and 6th grade and act like I am not needed. I used to be the favorite person and the only person that they wanted to play cars with or other games with. Anyway not anymore, now it is their friends and it seems like I am the enemy since I make do their homework and chores. It is so sad that they don't think I am their world anymore and that I am old to them now. They used to not think that. But I know it is all part of growing up healthy. But I still miss the old days.

Anyway, when my kids started doing this I got me 2 American Cocker Spaniels and as it turned out I am not their favorite person and just whine when it's just me and my kids here. Their favorite person is my hubby so the cocker spaniels have become solely his. He reall doesn't like my piggies.

How the piggies came about, well I had one (flower) when I was 11 years old, she was kept alone, She died when I was 20, when my oldest child was a year old and I was pregnant with my second. My oldest child wanted a guinea pig for christmas, so we got him one a female Inka, I figured he would lose interest in her so until then she could be by herself. As I figured he lost interest and I had to take over her care and so hubby and I started to find a friend for Inka. After many attemps to find a friend for Inka we ended up with both males and females. We had 2boys and 2 girls and then I took in Olive (pregnant) and a week later got Bumblebee (male) and Olive had 4 babies 3 males and 1 female which the kids named all the babies. We were originally going to rehome the babies, but as it turned out, we kept them. So I have 10 healthy happy baby piggies that are mine. I am their favorite person, especially when I am giving out veggies.

I am not getting anymore pets, I did allow my hubby and boys to get 3 rats and that had increased to 4 rats within a month and since they wouldn't feed them or clean the cage and I don't like rats (fear of rats) they have since been rehomed.

EvelynsCavies
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.