Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

what gonna happen if my Ipin have baby ??

Ionues

Cavy Slave
I have one male (Lampo) guinea pig and 1 female (Ipin) but they are in different cages. Sometimes I let the male run around my room. One time i was letting my male piggy go out side and accident forgot to close Ipin's cage and she jumped out too. I don't remember how many minutes they was together. but now Ipin is in Pear shape,her belly is big and she eats a lot too. I just wonder she's pregnant or not >.< ? my father not gonna let they stay :( , what should I do after they born :( ?

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
start making arrangments to have them adopted or take them to the humane society.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Well if Ipin is pregnant and she has the babies then you need to make sure you know how to sex them and you will need to seperate any and all males from momma's cage at 21 days.

The males can go in with Lampo and the females can stay with Ipin until your dad finds homes for them. How do plan for this not to happen again?

Another thing how old is Ipin?

Ionues

Cavy Slave
ipin and Lambo is 9 months. How I gonna take a good care of Ipin now? I gonna give her more vegetable like cherry tomato, salas, lettuce, tomato and pasley 2days/week. I have plenty of blue glass hay and 3th cut of timothy hay, hopefully it's good for her. By the way, I don't know exactly how long she's pregnant :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you giving both of them veggies everyday? They need at least 1 cup each per day.
For Ipin, if she's pregnant, you can give her alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets. Parsley is good too, it's high in calcium. She will also need unlimited pellets.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How long ago were they together?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think she meant how many days ago that they were together for a few minutes.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Oops sorry !

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You should also be feeding bell pepper (at least 1/8 pepper per day per pig) for the vitamin C.

Make sure you have a vet lined up who is experienced with guinea pigs, and make sure you know what to do during off hours if there is an emergency. Guinea pigs very often have complications giving birth, and getting to a good vet in time can mean the difference between life and death for your girls and the pups.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
ipin and Lambo is 9 months. How I gonna take a good care of Ipin now? I gonna give her more vegetable like cherry tomato, salas, lettuce, tomato and pasley 2days/week. I have plenty of blue glass hay and 3th cut of timothy hay, hopefully it's good for her. By the way, I don't know exactly how long she's pregnant :(

This is a good mix of veggies for a pregnant sow that she can have everyday while pregnant and nursing.

Green leaf letuce(both)
Red Leaf lettuce (both)
Romain lettuce (both)_
Parsley(not everyday for the male)
Cilantro(both)
Bell pepper(both)
Zuchinni (both)

cut it all up and mix it together and give her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening everyday. The same for him minus Parsley.

Don't forget to give her any and all of the rotating veggies and fruit that you would normally give a long with unlimited pellets and Alfalfa and timothy hay for her only.

How long has it been since they were together?

And to prevent this from happening again, you may want to think about rehomeing either all males or all females and only keep same sex pairs in the future so that you don't have to worry about a pregnancy. But I wouldn't do any rehoming until after the babies are old enough to go to a new home.

Ionues

Cavy Slave
thanks u guys for helpful information, tomorrow i gonna take pic and post it here for all to what ipin look like rite now!!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
It would be nice if you could keep a male and a female pup to live with each parent (respective of gender). Then they could each have a friend. But make sure you get someone who is good with guinea pigs to make sure that they are the right sex.

Diane9k

Cavy Slave
Hi,

Yes I say there is a great big chance that Ipin is pregnant. The babies need to stay with their mom for 3 weeks. If you can't keep them that long :weepy: then try to post an add on Craigs list in your area and find the babies good homes. Tell the adopters they need to feed the babies 1 part evaporated milk and 3 parts water. That means for example 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 3/4 cups water. They can either feed them that formula by syringe or in a shallow bowl with a piece of bread in in to help retain the milk and let them suck on it to get the milk and to help you not worry about them drinking and drowning. I have helped a few pet owners and took in their piggies when they could no longer keep them and I was able to quickly find them all new homes. The craigs list will help you reach out to lots of people in your area and it is free:D. Good luck to you and Ipin let me know how it goes.;) Diane

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but that is bad advice. Bread and milk are big no nos. You likely got that off a breeder website.

Baby guinea pigs can eat hard foods at birth. At 3 weeks they are plenty old enough not to need handfeeding but if you lose mom, there is GOOD handrearing info here https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have to agree with RnCL. Giving formula and breads to pigs is definitely not something you want to do. Most pups are eating solid foods within a day of being born so they don't even need formula or breads to begin with. They are strict herbivores.

I will say though, that if this is the type of diet advice you are going to give, please don't as it is bad advise and giving bad advise again will end up in receiving an infraction as we don't allow bad or poor advice to be given here. Bad/poor advice can often result in very ill or dead cavies. We mods don't want to see that happen so we are very strict about that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.