Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help!! Messy piggys :'(

Vixen

Cavy Slave
okay. so i've found a few posts about bottles leaking, but nothing really helped me. i have a im guessing mixed breed of guinea pigs. they have ling straight hair on their head,face and then half way down there back they have very very curly hair. i try to keep then trimmed down and they seem to like it better. but my issue is. i have a very messy piggy.

the water bottle they came with is nice. 32oz bottle that has the flip top opener. u can find them at petsmart and its not a ball. its a little leaver thing that have to hit to get the water.

the baby piggy seems to do wonders with it. never seems to drip water. but the momma piggy is very messy. cant seem to get any of the water in her mouth it seems. it is like she hits the leaver and tries to catch the water and fails. so it makes a mess. so i put a little tuperwear dish under it. which is nice. but they knock it around and i have to dump the water out of it about twice as much as i have to fill the bottle itself. (also have to have a heavy duty clip clipping the water dish to the cloroplast so they cannot move it out of the way)

then they try to drink the water out of the dish instead of the bottle. but because of there long hair on there face (i do not trim there head or close to there face) the hair sucks up the water and then instead of a wet mess under the bottle the whole cage is wet.

so to sum up my long text. momma piggy is a bad drinker with water bottles. and cant give them a water bowl because of the long hair on there face.

oh and ive tried putitng a rock/brick under the bottle to catch it. but because of the mass ammount of water it got to wet and didnt have the time to dry. eventually started to mildew :melodrama

i need help with figuring out somethign to do. i cant keep having this water dish catching the water simply becasue its annoying.

PLEASE PLEASE help. i dont have alot of money to buy really expensive bottles. but any advice to help this i will try.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It sounds like she just enjoys playing with the bottle. I would get a bunch of bricks and change them out daily (or more often if needed) so they don't mold.

LuLu the Guinea

Cavy Slave
I think I had the same bottle. Was it a lixit? If it was then we did have the same one. But anyways, with that bottle I had the same problem. The water would just drip out the side of her mouth and onto the brick. I ended up just getting another bottle.

New Guinea Mom

Cavy Slave
The glass lixit bottles work great for me. I have two pigs and I use the 8ox bottle. I have a porous tumbled stone piece of tile under it to absorb and drips, but I haven't had a problem at all.

Once it did leak, then I realized I didn't put the seal back in properly.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.