Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cutting grids? Help!

• Thread starter anniewntsaG-PIG
  • Start date

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
I am trying a new hay rack idea that I just thought of and it would be perfect. It is just a clear storage bin with a grid zip-tied on the bottom with a hook on the top so I can replace hay. But I need to cut 2/3 of the grid to fit it perfectly. (If this is confusing, look at the pictures and hopefully you'll get it! :))

https://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/annielovesgolf/IMG00204.jpg

https://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/annielovesgolf/IMG00205.jpg

As you might be able to see, I already cut all the thin bars but I can't get the big ones. Dose anyone know how to cut the thicker bars surrounding the grids?? Oh, and if it could be practical that would be great because I don't have many tools! Haha! Thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
I use a small hacksaw to cut the grids or shelves when necessary. I bought it at Home Depot for maybe $6-7. A bolt cutter or heavy duty wire cutters may work too. Remember to cover the sharp edges.

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
The zip-ties would go on the part closest to you in the bottom picture and the cut edges I will sand down and attach a hook.

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
I'll try it and get back to you! Thanks!

And yup I know they will be sharp. I was thinking sanding them but not sure if it would work...any ideas on that if sanding doesn't work? Hehe! Thanks again!

livandlovit

Cavy Slave
I've done this before: if you don't want to buy a cutting tool for just this one time use, go to the section in the local Home Depot where they have the various chains on spools. They usually have some kind of cutter tethered to the rack. Go in when it's not too busy and I'm sure one of the staff could snip the wire for you.

Also, if sanding the cut ends doesn't work, maybe those end caps for shelving wire will work (for the thicker bars)? You might have to glue them on. There's also a product I've used before - it's a can of liquid rubber that's used to rubberize things like tool handles and coat hooks. I think it can be found at the big box hardware stores. It's kind of expensive though.

Good luck!

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
I already found some of the rubber covering online and am ordering it now, I cut the thick wires by myself (well a neighbor did it :D) and I punched holes in the bin for the zip-ties on the bottom and added a couple hooks to hang it on the cage and to hold it closed! I just need two zip-ties...i"ll have to go get some tomorrow. But yeah! I feel SO accomplished! HAHA! It's looking great! I'll post pictures up once I get zip-ties and add hay! YEAH!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.