Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When will this cruelty stop?

GuineaPigz

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) website sickens me!!! People shouldn't completely destroy innocent animals just to learn about them!
(Warning:Sickening images, not for the faint of heart.)

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I agree. There are much better ways to learn about anatomy than with the dissection of animals.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
For those who haven't viewed it, it's a picture of a guinea pig opened up for dissection.

I probably should have waited until I wasn't eating before looking at that. *feels sick*

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Theres something wrong with me. Usually I squirm at the sight of blood but not at that picture... What other ways are there to learn about our insides?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
There are all kinds of alternatives to dissection. There are some great simulation models out now, which gives students the reality of cutting/dissecting, but gives a much clearer view of all the organs. There are some great computer programs (simulation) programs as well. When I took some biology courses that required dissection as part of the course content, I, of course, refused and had to make do with looking at pictures, as there were no alternative methods available at my school. However, I made a better grade than those students who did the actual dissection.

These alternative methods are actually better in another respect as well because there are no potentially carcinogenic preservatives in them. PETA has more information on the specifics of dissection alternatives. www.peta.org

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information susan!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
THAT'S AWFUL!!!!!!!! Why is it guinea pigs are experimented on? That makes me SOOOO mad!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know. I'd still be upset/angry whatever the animal may be though

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Yeah, me too. It's still sad that people refer to experimamental things as "guinea pigs."

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I still remember in my high school biology class, we were dissecting the reproductive organs of a cow & a bull. It was right during the mad cow disease scare. Several cows were slaughtered, regardless of their current health. The organs of the cow contained a small baby calf. It was quite disturbing to see a tiny, perfectly formed little cow. ...what a waste.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
That's why I don't do disentions at school. I refuse to do them even if I fail the class.

dansamy

Cavy Slave
We dissected fetal pigs in AP Biology in high school and we did cats in Anatomy & Physiology in college. I never had a problem with dissection. In my view, the animal is already dead. In Gross Human Anatomy (for the med students), the cadavers are donated. Those individuals wanted their bodies to be used for learning.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
We've done disections in school too. The hearts and kidneys have come from a butcher though. They would have been disposed of anyway, but the school decided to have them for biology.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
We disected chicken wings that were bought from our local grocery store. I almost barfed though.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Yes, human beings get to *choose* to donate their bodies to science. Animals don't get that same choice.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Exactly susan. We can get a doner card but what are the poor animals supposed to do>

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
An undercover PETA investigator discovered some things about dissection. Here's a quote from their news release, "Slaughterhouses and pet stores also sell animals and animal parts to biological supply houses."

Just *another* good reason to be a vegetarian and boycott pet stores.

You can read the full news release at (broken link removed)

TheAlmightyMiko

Cavy Slave
citronsoul said:
I still remember in my high school biology class, we were dissecting the reproductive organs of a cow & a bull. It was right during the mad cow disease scare. Several cows were slaughtered, regardless of their current health. The organs of the cow contained a small baby calf. It was quite disturbing to see a tiny, perfectly formed little cow. ...what a waste.
The same happened at my high school. In grade eleven Biology class we were forced (and I say so quite freely) to dissect cats. Many of the cats, I later found out, were pregnant, and purposely given to each class with the knowledge they were, so that random students had to go through finding a litter of kittens in their cat. I was the sole exception to this forced dissection because I refused outright. I would not go through with it, and my aunt (who was my guardian at the time) initially wrote a letter refusing as well to allow me to participate in the "exercise" (I use the term loosely).
However, when my biology teacher called my aunt and "explained the necessity of the exercise," even my aunt tried forcing me into it. Still I refused. I suppose in rebuttal, the teacher refused to allow me to use the "virtual" dissection that was based upon a baby pig, all because they "were not the same animal, and therefore would hinder my exam results based upon the difference in species." What a load of BULL! After a long fight, and an appeal to my principal, I was credited the mere 10% of the dissection and exam portion based on it (which I would have gladly given up) because prior to the dissection I had a 97% in the class. What amazed me was my teachers willingness to overlook my hard work based upon my refusal to dissect a poor cat.
Did I mention that the premise behind my refusal was not simply my repulsion at the use of animals to teach high school students what organs look like, but moreover the fact that these cats came from a shelter. That's right, these cats were all ones who, by no fault of their own, were put to death because no one was willing to adopt them, and then their bodies were put on display at the local highschool. This was common knowledge at my school, that the cats were ones whose bodies had been "donated to science" by the shelter-we were even made aware of this before the dissections were to begin! (I ask how exactly a highscool class is a "scientific effort"...but I digress.) Now either I was the only one who cared, or the only one with guts enough to adamantly refuse. Either way, the thought disgusts me.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh miko, thats awful! I can't believe the shelter would hand them over

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.